Wednesday April 17th, 2024 7:38AM

Kitchen fire in two-story home displaces Buford resident

By Christian Ashliman Anchor/Reporter

A residential fire Monday afternoon burned portions of a two-story home after originating from a grease fire in the kitchen.

Firefighters with Gwinnett County Emergency Services responded at approximately 3:29 p.m. to reports of a house fire on the 5600 block of Riverside Drive NE in Buford, according to officials. The 911 caller had advised that a stove caught fire with black smoke showing.

Additionally, the caller indicated the homeowner refused to leave the home “because there were valuable items inside,” fire officials said Tuesday.

Neighbors were eventually able to get the homeowner out of the home before the fire crew’s arrival.

Crews found the fire blazing in the kitchen and attic of the home but were able to beat back the flames in approximately 30 minutes. They then utilized fans to blow excess smoke from inside the home.

Medical crews at the scene reportedly obtained one patient refusal for minor injury treatment.

The homeowner was home at the time of the fire and was cooking grease when they stepped away for a phone call. The owner’s dog alerted him to the flames in the kitchen, along with active fire alarms, according to authorities.

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental in nature.

  • Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News
  • Associated Tags: fire, Buford, Gwinnett County, Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services
© Copyright 2024 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.