Jacobs Media is currently seeking applicants for the following job:
Jacobs Media is seeking talented, creative, technical and highly self-motivated individuals to join our team as a anchor/reporter. The ongoing deadlines for a 24-hour news operation makes for an exciting and often demanding workplace environment. We take great pride in the quality of our products online and on the air. New employees will have the opportunity to work alongside award-winning colleagues who support the organization’s reputation for providing outstanding news coverage of Northeast Georgia.
LOCATION: Gainesville, Georgia
REPORTS TO: Director of News and Content
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, broadcasting, mass communication, public relations or related field. Previous experience in a professional newsroom is preferred.
- Applicants must possess a keen interest in journalism and the news industry.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required by the news department. Could include night and weekend work.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently, creatively and quickly, as well as be well organized and detail oriented.
- Must have a keen news sense and the ability to develop stories for radio and the web.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills. Must be able to write news stories in appropriate print/online formats. Knowledge of AP style is preferred.
- Ability to communicate live on-air or on-screen in a professional manner. Basic knowledge of audio recording and editing software is necessary.
- Must have strong computer and technology skills.
- Position is 35-40 hours per week. The actual working schedule will be flexible and set weekly in conjunction with the Director of News Operations. Some weekend work is likely.
- Perform all the regular duties of a reporter, including developing stories ideas, reporting and writing, and, where applicable, recording audio and shooting photographs/video to produce stories for online and radio. Includes using news judgment to find the most appropriate angle for a story.
- Anchor radio newscasts on a regular schedule each day. This could include weekend shifts.
- Produce radio news stories and other packages, either alone or in conjunction with others, for use during our local programming by finding appropriate images or sounds, writing introductions and scripting material.
- Record interviews – in person or through telephone or studio links, and sometimes live – for online and radio newscasts.
- Update social media sites, as needed or requested.
- Assist others within the organization when needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must submit the following items for review and consideration to Mitch Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A current resume.
- A sampling of news articles that you’ve had published.
- A sampling of radio soundchecks.
- The names and contact information for three academic and/or professional references.
Jacobs Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.
Jacobs Media is a family-owned media company based in Gainesville, Georgia. It operates three radio stations (WDUN AM550, WDUN FM102.9 and The Lake FM94.5/AM1240) and an online newspaper (AccessWDUN.com). At Jacobs Media, we pride ourselves in knowing what is important to our community. For 70 years, we have delivered a unique blend of highly relevant news, weather, sports and talk to our listeners and readers every day. Today, we reach more than 1.5 million people in North Georgia. In addition to our radio and online offerings, Jacobs Media offers a popular mobile app, and we reach out to new audiences through active social media postings.