A Habersham County homeowner who was home watching television when his alarm company notified him of a fire in the basement Monday afternoon escaped unharmed.
“We received a page for a structure fire at 226 Misty Meadows at 4:28 p.m.,” said Habersham County Emergency Services Director Chad Black. “Upon the arrival of Engine 12, firefighters found heavy black smoke coming from a roll-up type door in the basement.”
The 6,100-square-foot, two-story brick home was located off Payne Norton Road near Alto.
“The homeowner stated he had plugged up a battery charger about 45 minutes earlier to his lawnmower in the basement,” Black said. “The homeowner stated he was upstairs watching TV when the alarm company called him about a fire alarm going off. He then found smoke and fire coming from the basement area.”
Black said the fire moved quickly from the roll-up door to a covered porch above and then into the attic of the house.
“We had to set up a water shuttle operation due to a long driveway and the distance to a hydrant location,” Black said.
Personnel and apparatus from Habersham, Hall and White counties responded, along with Lee Arrendale State Prison Fire Department and Baldwin Fire Department.
The water shuttle operation included two 3,000-gallon tankers from White County, a 2,000-gallon tanker from Hall County Station 16, a 3,000-gallon tanker from Habersham County Station 13, and a 750-gallon engine from Baldwin.
The roof collapsed into the second story, and there was water damage to the basement and first floor.
Firefighters were on scene for five hours.
“No firefighters were injured, and the house is pretty much a loss,” Black said. “The housed is valued at around $375,000 and is insured.”
The State Fire Marshal’s Office is assisting.
Firefighters returned to the scene Tuesday morning for a rekindle of the fire.