clearn.png
Monday February 6th, 2023 8:44PM

Gas leak results in evacuation of Helen hotel

By Dean Dyer WRWH Radio

A gas leak around midnight Wednesday prompted the evacuation of Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Helen.  

Helen Fire Chief Jody Prickett said they received a call around midnight about a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm. 

Upon arrival, firefighters used the gas monitor and noted a significant reading of CO on the first floor.

Prickett said due to the high readings and danger of the situation, firefighters decided for the safety of the guests to evacuate the building. 

With the assistance of Helen Police Department and hotel staff, Prickett said they got everyone out. Firefighters found the source of the leak and, with assistance from hotel maintenance, it was secured and turned off.

According to Prickett, after about 30 minutes firefighters rechecked the hotel with a gas monitor and noted levels had dropped to a safe level and guests were allowed to return to their rooms.

No guests or employees were injured or reported feeling sick from the incident.

 

  • Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News
  • Associated Tags: Helen, gas leak, Helen Police Department, Helen Fire Department, Fire Chief Jody Prickett
© Copyright 2023 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.