Gas leak results in evacuation of Helen hotel

By Dean Dyer WRWH Radio
Posted 10:59PM on Friday 21st October 2022 ( 1 year ago )

A gas leak around midnight Wednesday prompted the evacuation of Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Helen.  

Helen Fire Chief Jody Prickett said they received a call around midnight about a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm. 

Upon arrival, firefighters used the gas monitor and noted a significant reading of CO on the first floor.

Prickett said due to the high readings and danger of the situation, firefighters decided for the safety of the guests to evacuate the building. 

With the assistance of Helen Police Department and hotel staff, Prickett said they got everyone out. Firefighters found the source of the leak and, with assistance from hotel maintenance, it was secured and turned off.

According to Prickett, after about 30 minutes firefighters rechecked the hotel with a gas monitor and noted levels had dropped to a safe level and guests were allowed to return to their rooms.

No guests or employees were injured or reported feeling sick from the incident.

© Copyright 2015 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.