After suffering a water main break, the City of Jefferson is under a boil water advisory until further notice.
The advisory will be in place for approximately 24 to 48 hours as the city awaits the laboratory results confirming the quality of the water is safe to drink.
During the advisory, the water should be boiled for at least one minute after reaching a rolling boil. Citizens should continue to boil their water until they are notified by the Water Department that the water is safe to consume.
The City of Jefferson provides the following checklist for safe water use during a Boil Water Advisory
• Do not drink tap water while the water system is under a Boil Water Advisory;
• Do not use ice unless it has been made with boiled water; freezing will not necessarily kill harmful bacteria;
• Do not use tap water to make fountain soft drinks or coffee;
• Wash your dishes in boiled water, or use paper plates for the next few days;
• Wash your fruits and vegetables with boiled or bottled water since they may have been exposed to affected water from grocery store sprayers;
• Wash your hands and bathe as usual. Bathing is safe as long as no water is swallowed;
• Brush your teeth with previously boiled or bottled water.
• Cook with tap water if the food will be boiled for at least one (1) minute; and
• Use boiled water to make drinks, juices or infant formula
Anyone with questions should contact Jefferson Public Utilities Office at (706)-367-5121.