A man who apparently had been living in his truck in Habersham County suffered serious burns when a makeshift heating device in the vehicle caught fire Tuesday morning.
Chad Black, Director of Habersham County Emergency Services, said his crews responded to a location on Faith Lane off Highway 105 in Clarkesville just before 10:15 a.m. At the location, they found a man in his 40s suffering from serious burns.
"It appeared the individual was staying in his truck, and to keep warm had taken a little propane cylinder that goes with a lantern...and had configured a stove eye onto it," Black said. "I don't know if there was a leak in the propane or what, but at some point a flash fire occurred."
Black said the man's face, hands, neck and hair were burned. The inside of the vehicle sustained heavy damage, as well.
"[The burns were] a lot of second degree and probably some third degree - quite extensive burns to the face and hands area, especially," Black said. "We did request Air Life to respond and he was transported to the Burn Center at Grady [Hospital]."
He did not know the condition of the victim.
Black said there was another person on the scene who was able to answer some questions, but information on the man's identity and what he was doing in the area was limited.
Black said Engines 12, 13, Medic 21, Captain 1 and 800 and the Habersham County Sheriff's Office responded to the scene.