Thursday May 23rd, 2024 1:17AM

Police: Suspected killer returned to scene to retrieve his cell phone

By The Associated Press
<p>The man suspected of killing a high school coach and his son during a home invasion returned to the scene and walked past the grieving mother and the dying victims to retrieve his cell phone, police said.</p><p>The suspect, Terry James Chaney, was shot to death by police soon after the killings Tuesday night when officers chased him into the woods.</p><p>Authorities used the cell phone to identify the suspect Thursday. Officers called numbers stored on the phone to contact Chaneys family members. Those people identified the phones owner as 19-year-old Chaney, of Lilburn, police spokesman Dan Huggins said.</p><p>Police believe Chaney broke into the home and killed Bill Venable, 55, and his 17-year-old son, Bill Venable Jr. Police said the father and son struggled with the attacker before they were shot.</p><p>Chaney returned to the home, walking past Venables wife, Susan Venable, who was trying to help her wounded son and husband, Huggins said.</p><p>There was no apparent connection between the Venables and Chaney, Huggins said.</p><p>Chaney is also suspected of another home robbery nearby, in which he stole a car and $60 before driving to the Venables house, Huggins said.</p><p>Chaney is the son of Sheila W. Chaney Wilson, who killed two people and then shot herself at a southeast Atlanta church three months ago.</p><p>He never has caused any problems, said Chaneys grandfather, Charlie Robinson. I dont understand what went wrong.</p><p>Venable was a special education teacher, head wrestling coach and assistant football coach at Tucker High School in DeKalb County. Bill Jr. was a senior and a member of the football team.</p><p>Venable worked at the school for 16 years. The offensive line coach worked closely with his son on the football team, whose position was center.</p><p>The younger Venable had planned to attend Auburn University.</p><p>About 200 people, including Susan Venable, gathered at the school Wednesday night for a candlelight vigil. The wife and mother was upstairs in the house when the attacks occurred. She was not injured.</p><p>When the attacker fled into the woods, police pursued him with a helicopter, spotlights and a police dog. When they found the suspect, the man shot and wounded a police dog. Officers returned fire, hitting the man several times, Huggins said. He died at Gwinnett Medical Center.</p><p>___</p><p>On the Net:</p><p>HASH(0x2865110)</p>
  • Associated Categories: State News
© Copyright 2024
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.