clearn.png
Saturday November 27th, 2021 7:36PM

Fire official: carbon monoxide can be ‘very dangerous’

By Austin Eller Anchor/Reporter

27 people were evaluated at an apartment complex in Gwinnett County for carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning, and now one local fire official is speaking out about how to protect yourself from the deadly gas.

Jason Shivers, division chief with the Forsyth County Fire Department, said that while carbon monoxide is a naturally occurring gas, it can be dangerous due to the nature of modern buildings.

“It can be very dangerous, especially in a modern society,” Shivers said. “Our buildings are built so tight today, the tolerances in which we build our homes, and our businesses are done so well to keep them insulated for efficiency that they don’t breathe as well as they used to. It essentially creates a capsule that that very deadly gas can build up inside of a box, inside of a home or business.”

Carbon monoxide is hard to detect, due to its tasteless and odorless nature. However, Shivers said high volumes of the gas can be detected in a building with the use of a carbon monoxide detector.

“It detects the presence of carbon monoxide and then alarms us to its presence when it reaches a level approaching danger so that you can take precautions and open up your home or open up your business and get out of the environment,” Shivers said.

Shivers said each home or business should have at least one carbon monoxide detector he recommended referencing the instructional manual of the device for information regarding the placement of additional detectors in a building.

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion, or fire, according to Shivers.

“Anything that burns produces carbon monoxide,” Shivers said. “That can be fireplaces, gas heaters, your stove or your oven, your home heating system … all those features of your home or business that burn some kind of fuel and then produce an exhaust or gas has to be vented appropriately and burning efficiently.”

In the case of Tuesday’s carbon monoxide incident in Gwinnett County, officials believe a gas-powered generator was responsible for the high volumes of carbon monoxide at the apartment complex.

Shivers said Forsyth County Fire frequently deals with carbon monoxide-related incidents, but incidents with carbon monoxide poisoning are a bit rarer. The frequency of carbon monoxide incidents does increase in the winter, due to the more frequent usage of fireplaces and heaters, according to Shivers.

If a carbon monoxide detector starts going off in your home or business, Shivers recommends evacuating the building immediately and calling 911.

Shivers said anyone who cannot financially afford a carbon monoxide detector should contact their local fire department for assistance.

“We want to make sure that you’re safe, and when I say we, I’m speaking on behalf of all of the area fire departments,” Shivers said.

  • Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News
  • Associated Tags: Forsyth County, Forsyth County Fire Department, Carbon Monoxide, CO, Poison, Forsyth County Fire , Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
Fire official: carbon monoxide can be ‘very dangerous’
27 people were evaluated at an apartment complex in Gwinnett County for carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning, and now one local fire official is speaking out about how to protect yourself from the deadly gas.
1:30PM ( 4 seconds ago )
Film TV workers union says strike to start next week
The union representing film and television crews says its 60,000 members will begin a nationwide strike on Monday if it does not reach a deal that satisfies demands for fair and safe working conditions
11:56AM ( 1 hour ago )
Gainesville man accused of sexual assault against girl he met via social media
A Gainesville man has been arrested and charged with the sexual assault of a teenage girl he met on social media.
10:55AM ( 2 hours ago )
Local/State News
Forsyth County Sheriff's Office receives H.E.A.T. Grant
The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office (FCSO) has received a grant to go toward local DUI enforcement.
5:00AM ( 4 days ago )
High speed chase in Forsyth County ends with a car in the lake
A car had to be pulled out of Lake Lanier after its driver led deputies on a wild chase through Forsyth County last Saturday.
7:07PM ( 5 days ago )
Forsyth County teacher arrested in Florida for indecent exposure
A Forsyth County middle school teacher is facing indecent exposure charges after he allegedly exposed himself and performed lewd acts in front of a public-facing window in a condominium in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
By AccessWDUN Staff
1:45PM ( 2 weeks ago )
Forsyth County forgery suspect arrested after police chase
A Forsyth County forgery suspect was arrested Tuesday after he attempted to evade police in both a vehicle and foot chase.
By AccessWDUN Staff
4:40PM ( 3 weeks ago )
New app, portal to connect Forsyth County residents
Forsyth County residents can now report and check the status of complaints through a new portal on the county website.
4:00PM ( 3 weeks ago )