Five members of local law enforcement were honored Tuesday for their work by the Gainesville Kiwanis Club.
The five were presented the 2019 John W. Jacobs Sr. Memorial Award for Excellence in Law Enforcement during the civic club’s weekly luncheon meeting.
The winners included:
- Sgt. Justin Martin, Gainesville Police Department
- Lt. Jason Smith, Hall County Sheriff’s Office
- Trooper First Class Bronson Taylor, Georgia State Patrol
- Junior Commissioned Officer II LaRhonda Haynie, Department of Juvenile Justice, Gainesville Regional Youth Detention Center
- Game Warden Ryan Locke, Georgia Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division.
Also at Tuesday meeting, Josie Ayers, a senior at Johnson High School, was presented the First Responders Scholarship by Coleman Chambers and Rogers, a Gainesville law firm. The scholarship is administered by the North Georgia Community Foundation.
The scholarship is given each year to current first responders in Gainesville-Hall County or their children and grandchildren. Ayers is the daughter of Joel Ayers, an investigator with the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.