GAINESVILLE — The Class AAAAAA boys and girls state golf championships are being held in Hall County over the next two days.
The boys will be at Chattahoochee Golf Course while the girls will be at Chicopee Woods.
The action is slated to begin at 9 a.m. for the boys and at 10 a.m. for the girls.
A new format is in place for the first time to decide the team and individual medalists. The championships will be a 36-hole event covering two days with aggregate scores deciding the champions.
Both the Gainesville and Habersham boys and girls teams will be competing for state titles.
AccessWDUN will be providing coverage over the next two days at both events.
Championship tournaments are taking place at courses around the state this week, with a number of northeast Georgia programs taking part:
- Class A Public: Both the Towns County and Commerce boys and girls teams qualified for the A Public match at Landings Golf Club in Warner Robins.
- Class AA: Both the Rabun County boys and girls qualified. Boys will play at Waynesboro Country Club, the girls at Applewood Golf Club in Keysville.
- Class AAA: The Union County, Lumpkin County and Dawson County grils teams each qualified, as did North Hall's Annika Cain as an individual. They will play at Okefenokee Country Club (Blackshear).
- Class AAAA: The White County and West Hall girls teams each qualified, as did West Hall boys team member Chase Espinosa as an individual. Espinosa will compete at Columbus Country Club; the girls will play at Maple Ridge Golf Club in Columbus.
- Class AAAAA: The Buford, Johnson and Flowery Branch girls each qualified, while Flowery Branch boys team member Connor Gillespie also made it as an individual. He will compete at Sunset Hills Country Club in Carrollton; girls teams will play at Oak Mountain Country Club in Carrollton.
- Class AAAAAA: The Gainesville and Habersham Central boys teams each qualified; the Gainesville and Habersham Central girls teams also qualified. The Class AAAAAA boys will compete at Chattahoochee Golf Club, while the girls will compete at Chicopee.