clear
Monday August 21st, 2017 2:28AM

Two people, pets rescued from house fire in Oakwood

By Alyson Shields Reporter
  Contact Editor

A wheelchair-bound occupant, one other and two dogs were rescued from a fire at a home in Oakwood Monday morning.
 
Hall County Fire Services Captain Zach Brackett said crews arrived at 6 a.m. to find 1800 square foot home in the 4200 block of Shawnee Drive was showing heavy black smoke from the front door. The occupants were already out of the home when crews arrived, Brackett said,

"We recovered the pets. One of the occupants was able to self-extricate out of the home. The other occupant is wheelchair bound and the first occupant was able to get them to the door or somewhere close to the door and an officer from Oakwood Police actually went in and removed the person that was in the wheelchair from the home."
 
The wheelchair bound occupant and one other were both transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center for evaluation to smoke inhalation; one also had a burn to the hand.
 
Two dogs were removed from the residence unharmed.
 
Brackett said the fire was accidental, with the cause related to smoking. "As far as fire damage to the house, it was pretty well limited to the room of origin," said Brackett. "The rest of the house had smoke damage."

  • Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News
  • Associated Tags: fire, hall county, oakwood, Hall County Fire Department, Oakwood police
© Copyright 2017 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.