Jacobs Media is currently seeking applicants for the following jobs:
ACCESSWDUN SPORTS EDITOR
Jacobs Media is seeking a talented, creative, technical and highly self-motivated individual to direct the AccessWDUN sports department. The ongoing deadlines for a 24-hour news operation makes for an exciting and often demanding workplace environment. We take great pride in providing unparalleled coverage of high school sports in our coverage, that includes Hall County and the counties it borders. In all, sports at some 23 schools are covered for online and radio. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work alongside award-winning employees who support the organization’s reputation for providing outstanding news and sports coverage of Northeast Georgia.
Executive Vice President & General Manager
- Should have a degree in journalism, mass communication or related field and five years of experience as a sports writer at a print or online publication. Applicants with a degree will be considered with applicable additional experience.
- Previous managerial and supervisory experience is preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required. Will include night and weekend work.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Direct the coverage of sports on AccessWDUN including story assignment, writing and editing with the primary focus on local sports. Although our emphasis is football and basketball, all local sports should be covered as appropriate.
- Content not limited to just the written word. Audio, video and photography should also be used to their fullest whenever possible. Where appropriate, content should be made available for radio.
- Along with scores and game coverage, AccessWDUN Sports Editor will also develop enterprise stories covering local athletes and coaches at all levels and in all sports.
- Coverage of pro and major college sports are usually covered via wire service, but the sports editor decides how that coverage is used.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Racing Editor to coordinate coverage plans.
- Monitor and edit the sports pages on AccessWDUN.
- Monitor and update AccessWDUN Sports social media.
- Develop relationships with coaches, booster organizations and other journalists to create a flow of information in enable accurate and complete coverage.
- Meet with Editorial Board on a regular basis to coordinate coverage between news and sports.
- Assist others within the organization when needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently and creatively, as well as be well organized and detail oriented.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to work under tight deadline pressure.
- Must have strong computer and technology skills. Must be proficient with word processing software and Apple products.
- Some knowledge of desktop publishing and audio/video editing is required, as is knowledge and experience with SLR and HD video cameras.
- The ability to speak well on camera and on mic is preferred.
Applicants must submit the following items for review and consideration to Bill Maine at email@example.com:
- A current resume.
- A sampling of 8-10 sports articles that you’ve had published.
- The names and contact information for three professional references.
Jacobs Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.
Jacobs Media is a family-owned media company based in Gainesville, Georgia. It operates three radio stations (WDUN AM550, WDUN FM102.9 and The Lake FM94.5/AM1240) and an online newspaper (AccessWDUN.com). At Jacobs Media, we pride ourselves in knowing what is important to our community. For nearly 70 years, we have delivered a unique blend of highly relevant news, weather, sports and talk to our listeners and readers every day. Today, we reach more than 1.5 million people in North Georgia. In addition to our radio and online offerings, Jacobs Media offers a popular mobile app, and we reach out to new audiences through active social media postings.