CLERMONT - Hall County fire officials said Saturday morning a large log cabin on Sweetbottom Lane was destroyed by fire in the overnight hours.
Firefighters were called to the scene just before midnight and found flames coming from the roof and chimney area of the 7,000-square-foot home. White County firefighters were called to assist Hall County units.
Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said fighting the fire was a challenge, since there are no fire hydrants in that part of north Hall County. Water had to be shuttled in and out of the area.
"We would knock the fire down and then we would run out of water, we'd knock the fire down and run out of water again," said Cagle.
He said the value of the home, which was a total loss, was approximately $800,000.
The family was able to evacuate the home safely after the son noticed smoke and awakened his parents.
Cagle said it appears the fire started in the chinmey. He said the family told investigators they had had a fire in the fireplace before they went to bed Friday night.