rain
Sunday August 30th, 2015 11:58AM

Keselowski speaking up behind closed doors

By Jenna Fryer, AP Auto Racing Writer
Related Articles
DAYTONA BEACH, FL (AP) - Brad Keselowski estimates he's paid between $75,000 and $100,000 in NASCAR fines in the last four years.

Signing those checks hasn't changed Keselowski's desire to be an outspoken driver pushing for change in NASCAR. He's found that since winning the 2012 Sprint Cup title, there are more avenues to voice his opinion.

Keselowski admits his approach has changed a bit in the last year, but denied he's been muzzled by NASCAR or Team Penske.

"I don't have a muzzle on my face right now, but maybe I should have," he said, laughing. "I think quite a few back channels have opened up within NASCAR over the last six to eight months that have given me the ability to not have to go to the media to get something done.

"That fits my personal and professional agenda, and out of respect for that I think it maybe creates a situation where what might look like a muzzle to (the media) or to the outside is perhaps more a moment of opportunity I just don't want to (throw) away."

Keselowski admitted there are things he could have handled differently in the last few years. Among his most outspoken moments were a rant against NASCAR's move to electronic fuel injection (he was fined $25,000), a diatribe about other teams poaching Penske employees (Roger Penske later said "Brad had some misinformation" after rival team owner Rick Hendrick blasted the drivers' claims), and a strong stance against NASCAR's requirement that all drivers undergo baseline concussion testing.

"Are there things I could do better? Absolutely," he said. "But the mistakes are what builds your character and helps you become the person that you are and that you can learn from. They're only a mistake if you don't grow and learn from them."

While Keselowski insisted he still speaks out about issues, he now often does it in private discussions with NASCAR or Penske. A year ago, comments he made to USA Today Sports about the direction of NASCAR caused a small firestorm in the days leading up to the Daytona 500. He was summoned to a private meeting with NASCAR Chairman Brian France and International Speedway CEO Lesa France Kennedy.

He described his ongoing dialogues as "healthy" and has made him "much more informed" before he speaks. He also said he participated in conversations with NASCAR prior to the overhauled Chase for the Sprint Cup championship format.

"I don't want to sit here and try to take credit for things that I didn't do on my own because that would not be fair, but I feel confident that I had at least some small role in some of the changes that have gone on in this sport over this off season, and I'm very happy for all of them," Keselowski said.

"I'm still going to be vocal about something that I disagree about that there's no progress or no change being made on. But if there's progress or change being made, then why be a (jerk)?"
© Copyright 2015 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
2014 Top 10: Looking back at the top sports stories of the year
It was another year for the record books in 2014, mostly for the right reasons -- state championships, new challenges and new stars taking their turn to shine. But there were also plenty of big stories that reminded us that sports -- like life -- isn
11:55PM ( 7 months ago )
NASCAR K&N Pro Series schedules set for 2015
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - NASCAR announced recently the 2015 schedules for its top developmental regional touring series, the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
2:00PM ( 7 months ago )
Lanierland boys final: Johnson makes history with win over Red Elephants <b> (VIDEO) </b>
Ever the aggressor on the court, Johnson
8:55AM ( 7 months ago )
Sports
Pits will be tight as Chili Bowl entry count hits 316
TULSA, OK - The 29th annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Midget Nationals presented by General Tire is on track to be a record smashing event, with the entry count climbing over the 300 mark for the first time to 316 entries confirming 303 drivers for the indoor spectacular happening Tuesday, January 13 through Saturday, January 17 at the Tulsa Expo Center in Tulsa, OK.
9:59AM ( 8 months ago )
Falcons fire Mike Smith after 2nd straight losing season
Mike Smith's status as the winningest coach in Falcons history wasn't enough to save his job. Owner Arthur Blank said he fired Smith on Monday because in his "heart of hearts" he didn't believe Smith could take the Falcons to the Super Bowl.
7:58PM ( 8 months ago )
New promoters in place for 2015 at Senoia Raceway
SENOIA, GA - Lease papers have been signed and a team of new promoters is in place for the upcoming stock car racing season at Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA.
6:00AM ( 8 months ago )
Professional Sports
Garbo, Jr. to compete in NASCAR K&N East with Whelen sponsorship
CHARLOTTE, NC--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- When Marsh Racing and longtime team sponsor Whelen Engineering Company, Inc. got the opportunity to put together a race team for 2015, they looked closely at the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East.
12:00PM ( 8 months ago )
Former NASCAR racer pleads guilty in high-speed chase
ST. GEORGE, UT (AP)
12:51PM ( 8 months ago )
Chili Bowl entry list again nearing record 300 mark
TULSA, OK - For the past couple years, the entry list for the Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals has flirted with the 300 mark. Once again, the number of teams registering for the indoor Midget event is nearing the three century mark with 285 entries received for the 29th annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals.
11:59AM ( 8 months ago )
NASCAR News
Fan dies after falling from upper deck during Atlanta Braves game at Turner Field
ATLANTA (AP) — A fan died after falling from the upper deck into the lower-level stands at Turner Field on Saturday night during a game between the Atlanta Braves and New York Yankees.Lt. Charles Hamp...
11:26AM ( 32 minutes ago )
Falcons sign Julio Jones to 5-year extension
The Atlanta Falcons agreed to a $71.25 million, five-year contract extension with Julio Jones on Saturday that compares favorably with recent deals paid to other top wide receivers.
By The Associated Press
8:46AM ( 3 hours ago )
Softball: Buford splits with S. Forsyth and Milton
The Buford girls softball team split a pair of games Saturday with South Forsyth and Milton in a yearly series between the three schools.
By AccessWDUN staff
7:06AM ( 4 hours ago )
Falcons fall to Dolphins in preseason
Ryan Tannehill threw for 145 yards in less than a half despite working behind a makeshift offensive line, and the Miami Dolphins beat the Atlanta Falcons 13-9 in an exhibition game Saturday night.
By The Associated Press
7:00AM ( 4 hours ago )
Severino, Yankees beat Braves 3-1; fan falls from upper deck
Rookie Luis Severino allowed only four hits in six scoreless innings to lead the New York Yankees to a 3-1 victory over Matt Wisler and the Atlanta Braves on Saturday night.
By The Associated Press
6:39AM ( 5 hours ago )