GAINESVILLE - Gainesville firefighters are back on the scene of a fire at Purina Feed Mill at 1125 Purina Drive on the east side of the city.
Fire Department Capt. Keith Smith said a feed bin at the plant caught fire around 10 p.m. Thursday and rekindled around 7 a.m. Friday.
He said the cause of the fire appears accidental.
"It was determined to be a mechanical malfunction of a conveyor lift located in the basement below the silo," said Smith.
He said there was a sprinkler system in the basement that helped contain the fire to the equipment.
Smith said the feed in the bin was found smoldering Friday when firefighters returned to the scene. Crews are now assisting the company as they remove the product from the plant.