One woman died and four other people were injured as a result of a Blairsville home exploding yesterday afternoon.
According to a news release from the Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John King, the explosion occurred around 1 p.m. in a camper that was home to an elderly couple.
The explosion was the result of a disconnected propane gas line. The couple attempted to turn on the gas and ignite the kitchen stove, causing the home to explode.
“Because of the explosion, the wife received burns on over 90 percent of her body, and the husband also received very severe burns,” said Commissioner King. “Both were airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital. Unfortunately, the wife died over night.”
Three neighbors attempted to rescue the couple from the fire and received less severe burns as a result.
One of the neighbors pulled the elderly woman from the fire and was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital for burn treatment. The other two neighbors were treated at the local hospital.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. Preliminary investigations by the Commissioner King’s State Fire Investigations Unit, the Union County Fire Department, and the Union County Sheriff’s Office show that the propane gas company followed proper precautions and is not at fault.
The investigation is ongoing, therefore the identities of the dead woman and injured are unknown.