A Big Green Egg is believed to be the source of a fire that damaged a home at 216 Welcome Lane in Cleveland early Thursday morning.
White County Public Safety Director David Murphy said in an email statement the fire call came in at 1:30 a.m., and the homeowner advised they could see smoke and flames as they were exiting the home.
Murphy said the first crews on the scene saw heavy fire coming from the 3,500-square-foot home.
State Fire Investigator Brian Smith was called to the scene and determined the fire appeared to have started in the area of the main floor outdoor deck where the owner had been using a Big Green Egg just hours before the fire occurred. According to Murphy, the homeowner told him they left the fire burning in the Big Green Egg with the lid closed after removing their food. The fire appears to have burned up the back wall of the residence and into the attic area.
The White County CERT REHAB team responded to the scene and assisted the homeowners and fire personnel on scene. City of Cleveland Fire, City of Helen Fire and Lee Arrendale Fire Brigade 1 assisted with firefighting efforts.
Firefighters were on scene for 9 ½ hours, according to Murphy.
No one was injured, and the homeowners declined assistance from the American Red Cross.