rainn.png
Monday January 30th, 2023 2:34AM

Bassett, Butler, Yeoh, Fraser, others react to Oscar nods

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Reactions from some of the nominees for the 95th Academy Awards:

“I'm literally sitting here holding my head, and holding my heart. It's coming in waves. I'm excited, I'm grateful, I'm nervous. I'm going to have to start journaling (laughs). Queen Ramonda to me is reflective of what mothers have been doing forever, and also a representation of what Black mothers have been doing — holding families together. holding memories, holding wisdom... That's what she is attempting to do in spite of the trauma she has experienced herself... I'm always thinking of Chadwick and his legacy with this film and how he led us in the first ”Panther." I'm always thinking of him, he is always present. It's a continuation of his legacy — Angela Bassett, nominated for best supporting actress in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," in an interview. ( Chadwick Boseman, who starred in the first "Black Panther," died in 2020.)

“The peaks are so high, the valleys have been so low. I'm just trying to stay as present as I can. A moment like today is bittersweet because I wish Lisa Marie were here with us to celebrate. And at times amid intense grief and shattering loss it feels sort of bizarre to celebrate. I also know how much this film meant to Lisa Marie and how much her father's legacy meant to her, so I feel so proud and so humbled to be a part of that story. — Austin Butler, nominated for best actor for “Elvis,” in an interview. ( Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis’ daughter, died Jan. 12.)

“Even just to be nominated means validation, love, from your peers. What it means for the rest of the Asians around the world, not just in America but globally, is to say we have a seat at the table. We finally have a seat at the table. We are being recognized and being seen." — Michelle Yeoh, nominated for best actress for “Everything Everywhere All at Once," in an interview.

“It just seemed so far-fetched. Especially when I had to step away from acting for so many years, that dream seemed like it was dead. My whole thing was: I just wanted a job.” — Ke Huy Quan, nominated for best supporting actor for “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” in an interview.

“I've had a career of 30 years and more than 15 have been dedicated to making this movie. The lesson? I always say that it sounds really nice when they say, ‘If you build it, they will come.’ The real notion is, if you build it they will come, or not. But if you don’t build it, you’ll never know.” — Guillermo del Toro, whose “Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio” is nominated for best animated feature, in an interview.

“It’s interesting when you see the kind of prestige the Oscars have. In Sweden, it’s more prestigious than the Nobel prize actually. I have seen all the films from this year, and it’s just a really prominent group.” — Ruben Östlund, nominated for best director and best original screenplay for “Triangle of Sadness," in an interview.

“I’m absolutely overjoyed and deeply grateful to the Academy for this recognition and for recognizing Hong Chau’s beautiful performance and Adrien Morot’s incredible makeup. I wouldn’t have this nomination without Darren Aronofsky, Samuel D. Hunter, A24 and the extraordinary cast and crew who gave me the gift of Charlie. A gift I certainly didn’t see coming, but it’s one that has profoundly changed my life. — Brendan Fraser, nominated for best actor for “The Whale,” in a statement.

“On behalf of Tom, all the filmmakers, cast, Paramount and everyone who worked on ‘Top Gun: Maverick,’ we are so honored by this recognition from the Academy. This being my first ever Oscar nomination makes it that much more special." — Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, nominated for best picture for “Top Gun: Maverick,” in a statement.

"You never know. Everybody tries to do their best work. But to be recognized by this body in this community in this manner — words are poor things. We all know what that means. It’s not something you ever allow yourself to even hope for because it’s so fanciful. Hopefully, it affords the opportunity for more people to see the thing that you’ve all be working on. That’s the main thing.” — Todd Field, writer-director of “Tár,” in an interview. “Tar” is his first film in 16 years.

“l am overjoyed by this morning’s news. Being a part of this film was an unforgettable experience, and I share this nomination with the creative and talented people alongside whom I worked on this project.” — Hong Chau, nominated for best supporting actress for “The Whale,” in a statement.

“I jumped up and down. I jumped ... my body needed to jump. And, like, the hotel lobby probably got really scared because it was just like a high-pitched scream out of my throat.” — Belgian director Lukas Dhont, whose “Close” is nominated for best international feature, in an interview.

For more on this year’s Oscars, visit: http://www.apnews.com/academy-awards

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, AP Online Movies News, APOnline Celebrity News
© Copyright 2023 AccessWDUN.com
Police: Shooting that killed 2 at youth program was targeted
Investigators say in a charging document that an 18-year-old who was involved in an ongoing gang dispute walked into the common area of an Iowa alternative education program for at-risk students and fatally shot two teenagers in a premeditated attack
Monterey Park shooting victims named; police seek motive
The Los Angeles coroner's office says the 11 people killed at a Monterey Park dance hall shooting ranged in age from 57 to 76
Stocks drift on Wall Street as earnings reports rev up
Stocks drifted between gains and losses on Wall Street as more big U.S. companies delivered their earnings reports for the last three months of 2022
Lady Gaga, Rihanna earn best original song Oscar nominations
Lady Gaga and Rihanna earned Oscar nominations Tuesday in a best original song category that found Taylor Swift left out
Chris Stapleton, Babyface to sing at Super Bowl pregame
Country music star Chris Stapleton will hit next month’s Super Bowl to sing the national anthem, while R&B legend Babyface will perform “America the Beautiful.”
'Everything Everywhere' tops Oscar nominations with 11
The sci-fi indie hit “Everything Everywhere All at Once” leads nominations to the 95th Academy Awards with 11 nominations
AP Entertainment
Oscar nominations Tuesday could give blockbusters a boost
A year after a streaming service won Hollywood’s top honor for the first time, big-screen spectacles are poised to dominate nominations to the 95th Academy Awards on Tuesday
Sean Penn's Ukraine documentary to premiere in Berlin
Sean Penn’s film about the war in Ukraine, “Superpower,” will have its world premiere at this year’s Berlin film festival
In '20 Days in Mariupol' doc, the horrors of war illuminated
Associated Press video journalist Mstyslav Chernov had just broken out of Mariupol after covering the first 20 days of the Russian invasion of the Ukrainian city and was feeling guilty about leaving
AP Online Movies News
Natasha Lyonne stars in 'Poker Face,' a Peacock howdunit
Natasha Lyonne stars in the new anthology procedural series “Poker Face” for Peacock debuting Jan. 26
Concern over NYC police filming of people leaving Drake show
Some audience members leaving a concert by Drake at a Manhattan theater came outside to see a New York Police Department officer filming those filing out
Controversy, frivolity mark day one of Paris Fashion Week
The pioneering Black performer Josephine Baker — who left the United States to find global fame in Paris in the 1920s — was Dior’s muse for an old school spring couture collection of archetypal classicism
APOnline Celebrity News
Police: Shooting that killed 2 at youth program was targeted
Monterey Park shooting victims named; police seek motive
Stocks drift on Wall Street as earnings reports rev up
Classified documents at Pence's home, too, his lawyer says
Documents with classified markings were discovered in former Vice President Mike Pence’s Indiana Home last week, according to his attorney
Senators grill Ticketmaster after Taylor Swift fiasco
Senators grilled Ticketmaster Tuesday about its spectacular breakdown last year during a sale of Taylor Swift concert tickets