clearn.png
Tuesday February 7th, 2023 4:01AM

Frankie Muniz, best known as 'Malcolm' reboots racing career

There might be a reboot on the horizon for actor Frankie Muniz, one aptly titled “Malcolm in the Middle of a Pileup.”

Muniz, who starred in “Malcolm in the Middle” and “Agent Cody Banks,” announced this week that he’s competing as a full-time race car driver in the ARCA Menards Series. It’s a low-level feeder series for NASCAR — one that typically features less-experienced drivers — and will serve as a starting point for Muniz’s stock-car career.

The 37-year-old Muniz got behind the wheel of the No. 30 Ford for Rette Jones Racing during a test session Friday at Daytona International Speedway and said, “I wanted this my entire life.”

His first of 20 scheduled races in 2023 will come at Daytona on Feb. 18.

“I want to prove to people that like I’m here to take it seriously,” Muniz said during a half-hour Zoom with reporters. “I’m not just here for a fluke. I’m not just here for publicity. I wanted this my entire life, you know what I mean?

“I’m mad I waited 12 years after my last racing experience to get here. I want people to look at me and see me on track and go, ‘Wow, he belongs,’ and I’m ready to prove to everyone that I do. Hopefully I do.”

A longtime racing enthusiast, Muniz drove the pace car for the 2001 Daytona 500 — a race in which seven-time Cup Series champion Dale Earnhardt was killed on the final lap. Coincidentally, the chassis of the car Muniz is scheduled to drive at Daytona in the ARCA season opener was driven by Sterling Marlin that fateful day more than two decades ago.

Muniz said Earnhardt signed his jacket before the race and even told him how much he loved “Malcolm in the Middle.”

“He said, ‘Your show has brought me and my daughter so much closer together. I love your show,’” Muniz recalled. “And it was like insane to me that Dale Earnhardt is telling me that.”

Muniz has long been a racing enthusiast and first started thinking about becoming a professional driver in 2004 after competing in the Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race in Long Beach, California. He’s also raced in Formula BMW events as well as the Champ Car Atlantic Series.

His last full-time season came in 2009. He said he broke his back, broke an ankle and had a pin inserted into his hand following a crash. He has raced sporadically since.

Instead of getting back in a race car immediately, he became drummer of the indie rock band Kingsfoil. More recently, he married Paige Price and they had a son in 2021.

“I just took longer to heal than I thought,” Muniz said. “Not that you have to essentially start over, but I missed an entire season and I got an opportunity to be in a band. I know that sounds crazy. I was touring the world playing drums, so a lot of things just kind of took over my life and I dove in 100%.

“I’ve always thought in the back of my mind I was going to go back racing. As the years have gone on, it felt further and further away. So when I had my son 19 months ago, it honestly made me go, ‘What am I? Who am I? Who do I want to be to my son or what I want him to see me doing?’”

Muniz decided he wanted to race again.

“That’s what I’ve always said I felt like I was the most comfortable doing. … Realistically I’m old to be getting started in the racing world,” he said. “But in that same sense, it motivates me that I’ve got to take advantage of the opportunity I have today.

“I don’t have time to wait. So hopefully that helps the progression, go a little quicker because I have the motivation. I’m in the right mindset.”

He expects plenty of “Malcolm in the Middle” jokes during races, so much so that he's considering making T-shirts to sell at events.

“I'm going to capitalize on that before someone else does," he said.

AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Auto Racing, AP Entertainment, AP Online Recordings News, APOnline Celebrity News, NASCAR
© Copyright 2023 AccessWDUN.com
Nevada lithium mine gets $700M conditional loan from Energy
The U.S. Department of Energy says it plans to loan $700 million to an Australian mining company to pursue a proposed lithium project in Nevada
Frankie Muniz, best known as 'Malcolm' reboots racing career
Actor Frankie Muniz, best known for his leading role in “Malcolm in the Middle," is planning to compete full time as a race car driver
Philly's newly ID'd 'Boy in the Box' gets grave marker at 70
A slain child at the center of one of Philadelphia's oldest cold cases now has his name on a grave marker
Kentucky, Calipari frustrated by season-long struggles
Kentucky has a 10-6 record, is 1-3 in the Southeastern Conference and struggling with chemistry and consistency on both ends of the floor
Hurts resumes throwing, Johnson returns for banged-up Eagles
Jalen Hurts can only hope an extra week off will help his sore right shoulder
WADA says Russia found 'no fault' in Valieva doping case
The World Anti-Doping Agency says a Russian tribunal has found figure skater Kamila Valieva bore “no fault or negligence” in a doping case that rocked last year’s Winter Olympics
'RuPaul's Drag Race' cast push back against hate, threats
As the cast of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” celebrated the new season, they credited the show’s creator with popularizing drag and expressed concern about the protests and threats to the performance style at the heart of the long-running series
Andretti partners with General Motors for Cadillac F1 bid
General Motors will attempt to enter Formula One by partnering with Andretti Global under its Cadillac banner as it supports Michael Andretti’s bid to launch a two-car American team
12:34PM ( 1 week ago )
AP Online Auto Racing
Pardon ends Meek Mill's legal odyssey on drug, gun charges
The rapper Meek Mill is among hundreds of people who have been granted pardons by Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf before he leaves office
Lizzo, Ed Sheeran among hundreds of acts to play Jazz Fest
Lizzo and Ed Sheeran are among the headliners who will play this year's New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which takes place over two weekends beginning April 28
Actor Ezra Miller gets fine, probation after home break-in
Actor Ezra Miller is going to spend the next year on probation and continue with mental health treatment after they pleaded guilty to a trespassing charge at a Vermont home
AP Entertainment
Jimmy Page, Rod Stewart pay tribute after death of Jeff Beck
Fellow rock legends are paying tribute to Jeff Beck, the guitar virtuoso and musical innovator who died Wednesday
Jeff Beck, guitar god who influenced generations, dies at 78
A guitar virtuoso who pushed the boundaries of blues, jazz and rock ‘n’ roll, Jeff Beck has died
Jimmy Page, Dave Davies pay tribute after death of Jeff Beck
AP Online Recordings News
Designer Thom Browne bests Adidas in court battle of stripes
Thom Browne emerged from a New York courthouse victorious over sportswear giant Adidas in a battle over stripes
Lisa Marie Presley hospitalized, mother Priscilla says
Lisa Marie Presley has been hospitalized
Prince Harry's memoir opens at a record-setting sales pace
No, the public has not tired of hearing about Prince Harry
APOnline Celebrity News
NASCAR
Rescuers seek survivors after storms kill 9 across South
Rescuers are racing to find survivors in the aftermath of a deadly storm system that barreled across parts of Georgia and Alabama
Nevada lithium mine gets $700M conditional loan from Energy
Philly's newly ID'd 'Boy in the Box' gets grave marker at 70
Elon Musk rebuffed in bid to move Tesla tweet trial to Texas
A federal judge on Friday rejected Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s bid to move or delay a trial over a misleading tweet about a potential buyout of the electric automaker, setting the stage for the mercurial billionaire to be thrust into a legal drama amid the turmoil of his Twitter takeover
Biden and Kishida discuss Japan 'stepping up' security
The U.S. and Japan are ready to seal an agreement to bolster their cooperation on space