sunny.png
Sunday September 25th, 2022 4:45PM

Brady, Buccaneers back on practice field, preparing to win

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Tom Brady concedes a lot has happened in the four months that have passed since he announced through social media that he was walking away from the NFL after 22 seasons and seven Super Bowl championships.

For starters, the 44-year-old quarterback did an about-face and unretired six weeks later, citing “unfinished business” as one of the reasons for changing his mind and returning to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brady subsequently also accepted a lucrative offer in broadcasting to join Fox as a football analyst after his playing career ends.

For now, though, he says he's just focused on helping the Bucs win another championship.

“It feels like a long time ago. A lot has happened between now and then,” Brady said Thursday, shrugging off a question about why he hung up his cleats in early February only to reverse the decision in mid-March.

“I feel like I’ve kind of moved past that point to be honest. But I’m happy I’m back with my teammates. It’s going to be a great year,” he added at the conclusion of the team’s three-day mandatory minicamp. “We have high expectations for what we’re trying to accomplish.”

Brady also talked about his relationship with former coach Bruce Arians, who retired a little more than two weeks after the NFL’s career passing leader announced his return, and the future of long-time teammate Rob Gronkowski.

He spoke less candidly about whether he had discussions with the Miami Dolphins this spring about the prospect of moving to South Florida in some capacity — possibly as a part owner, player or even both.

“Again, I had a lot of conversations with a lot of people, as I have for the last three or four years in my career, about different opportunities when I’m done playing football. I kind of made a decision about what I wanted to do, and I’ll get to be in the game of football," Brady said.

“I think for me, the most important thing is where I’m at now and what I hope to do for this team,” the quarterback added. ”That’s been my commitment to this team and this organization. It's been so much fun for me to come here two years ago. It’s been about 2½ now, and it’s been an incredible part of my football journey. And it’s not over.”

Brady, meanwhile, insisted he has a good relationship with Arians and did not play a role in the 69-year-old coach’s decision to step down. Former New York Jets coach and Bucs defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was promoted as Arians’ successor.

“Zero whatsoever,” Brady said when asked if a rift had developed between him and Arians, who remains with the team as a senior football consultant.

“He and I have a great relationship. Part of why I chose here was because of Bruce. ... I have great respect for him,” Brady added. “He knows how I feel about him. That’s the most important thing. And, I know how he feels about me.”

The quarterback would not speculate on whether Gronkowski, who’s a free agent after spending the past two seasons with the Bucs, will re-sign with Tampa Bay before the team reconvenes for the start of training camp next month.

“We’d all love to play with him, but he’s got to make that decision for himself, and he knows that,” Brady said.

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl and https://apnews.com/hub/pro-32 and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Football, AP Sports - NFL
© Copyright 2022 AccessWDUN.com
Justice Department opens probe into Louisiana State Police
The U.S. Justice Department is opening a sweeping civil rights investigation into the Louisiana State Police amid mounting evidence that the agency has looked the other way in the face of beatings of mostly Black men, including the deadly 2019 arrest of Ronald Greene
Virginia General Assembly abandons Commanders stadium bill
The General Assembly is abandoning for the year legislation intended to lure the Washington Commanders to Virginia
Michigan officer charged with murder in Lyoya shooting
A Michigan police officer who killed Patrick Lyoya with a shot to the back of the Black man’s head has been charged with second-degree murder
Defectors open Saudi-funded golf series amid pomp, fractures
The Saudi-funded golf breakaway has started outside London, attempting to bring a sense of faux regal pageantry to the rebellion splitting the sport
McClanahan wins 5th straight start, Rays sweep 3 from Cards
Shane McClanahan pitched eight superb innings to win his fifth consecutive start and the Tampa Bay Rays completed a three-game sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals with a 2-1 victory
Blatter, Platini reiterate innocence in testimony to court
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have strongly reiterated their innocence as the two former soccer leaders were questioned on day two of their criminal trial on charges of defrauding FIFA
Super Bowl MVP Cooper Kupp gets contract extension from Rams
Super Bowl MVP Cooper Kupp agreed to a three-year contract extension with the Los Angeles Rams on Wednesday
Del Rio defends comparing Floyd protests to Capitol riots
Washington Commanders assistant coach Jack Del Rio issued an apology for his word choice after doubling down on a comparison he made on social media between the violent attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and the protests in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd
Browns excuse Mayfield from camp, Watson situation expands
Deshaun Watson’s complex legal situation has the Cleveland Browns in limbo and unclear about the quarterback’s immediate future
AP Online Football
Tim Tebow, Mark Richt among first-timers on College Football HOF ballot
Tim Tebow is among the former players making a first appearance on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot this year
Falcons' Pitts says stadium's new FieldTurf is soft but good
Atlanta Falcons tight end Kyle Pitts says the new FieldTurf playing surface at Mercedes-Benz Stadium is soft but good
FitzMagic runs out: 39-year-old journeyman QB is retiring
Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has confirmed to The Associated Press that he plans to retire
10:11AM ( 6 days ago )
AP Sports - NFL
Justice Department opens probe into Louisiana State Police
Virginia General Assembly abandons Commanders stadium bill
Michigan officer charged with murder in Lyoya shooting
PGA Tour says Saudi-paid players no longer eligible for tour
The PGA Tour says members who are playing in the Saudi-funded league in London are no longer eligible to play tour events
Allyson Felix has 'no regrets' after placing 7th in Rome
Allyson Felix has “no regrets” after a seventh-place finish in the 200 meters of what was likely her final Diamond League meet