pcloudy.png
Sunday July 3rd, 2022 1:06PM

Hinako Shibuno takes lead in final major at Mission Hills

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) — Hinako Shibuno’s first impression of Mission Hills Country Club was far from confidence-inspiring — and, in hindsight, mistaken.

“It was a hard course for me. I couldn’t even imagine I could play here,” the 23-year-old from Japan said through a translator Friday, recalling the initial time she played the event now known as The Chevron Championship.

She shot a 6-under 66 in the second round for a 9-under 135 total. A year and a half after tying for 51st in her debut, she took a one-stroke lead into the weekend on the mountain-framed course hosting the major championship for the last time.

The tournament that started in 1972 and became a major in 1983 is shifting to Houston next year after failing to attract a sponsor willing to keep it at Mission Hills.

Shibuno opened with a tap-in birdie on the par-4 first and had another on the par-4 10th.

“That makes it easier to play golf,” she said.

The 2019 Women’s British Open champion chipped in on the par-4 13th for the last of her seven birdies, against a lone bogey in warm and sunny morning conditions. She's sticking with the routine that has worked so far.

“I’m going to do just same thing,” Shibuno said. “I’m going to eat and I’m going to sleep.”

Defending champion Patty Tavatanakit (69), Annie Park (67) and Jennifer Kupcho (70) were a stroke back. Sei Young Kim (67) and Hyo Joo Kim (67) followed at 7 under.

“I feel like I left a lot out there,” Tavatanakit said. “But at the same time, that’s just golf. There is no way you’re going to have a perfect day with no mistakes. ”

She closed with birdies on the par-3 17th and par-5 18th.

“I think 17 was definitely a bonus with that pin position,” Tavatanakit said. “I think it kind of got my momentum going, knowing 18 was an up tee, so I knew I had a chance to get another birdie.”

Park played by herself the first two rounds with the players grouped in twosomes and an odd number in the field.

“Playing by myself was kind of weird yesterday, but today I kind of got used to it,” Park said. “I think when I made the turn and started waiting on players in the group in front of me, kind of just started to feel like normal golf.”

Kupcho, tied for the first-round lead with Minjee Lee at 66, birdied two of the last three holes after parring the first 15.

“I wouldn’t say I stayed very patient," Kupcho said. “I definitely got a little angry.”

Nanna Koerstz Madsen (67) and Ally Ewing (68) were 6 under.

Koerstz Madsen has a playoff victory and loss in her last two starts, beating Xiyu Lin three weeks ago in Thailand to become the first Danish winner in LPGA Tour history and losing to Atthaya Thitikul on Sunday in Carlsbad.

“I was very disappointed after Sunday,” Koerstz Madsen said. “But we drove here and we tried to take it as a positive that I was still in the playoff and I was still playing very good golf. But, obviously, it was disappointing.”

Lee had a 75 to drop to 5 under. Lexi Thompson, the 2014 champion, also was 5 under after a 70.

Top-ranked Jin Young Ko, the 2019 winner, followed an opening 74 with a 68 to get to 3 under. She played alongside Thompson.

Season points leader Danielle Kang birdied five of the first 12, then dropped four strokes on the final five with bogeys on 14 and 17 and a double bogey on 18. She was even par after a 71.

More AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Sports - Women's Golf
© Copyright 2022 AccessWDUN.com
Hinako Shibuno takes lead in final major at Mission Hills
Hinako Shibuno shot a 6-under 66 in The Chevron Championship to take the second-round lead
Zelenskyy: Retreating Russian troops leaving mines behind
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is warning his people that retreating Russian forces are creating “a complete disaster” outside the capital as they leave behind many mines, even around homes and corpses
Palin files paperwork to run in Alaska US House race
Sarah Palin has filed paperwork to join a field of at least 40 candidates vying for Alaska’s lone U.S. House seat
Politically charged US-Iran in first Middle East World Cup
The most controversial World Cup ever will feature in Qatar the most politically charged matchups
US to play England, Iran and possibly Ukraine at World Cup
The United States will play either Ukraine, Wales or Scotland in its World Cup opener, then meet England and Iran in its return to the tournament
Shibuno leads Chevron Championship halfway through 2nd round
Hinako Shibuno shot a 6-under 66 in The Chevron Championship to take the lead halfway through the second round
MASTERS '22: Trivia quiz covering nearly 90 years at Augusta
Who was the first Masters champion
MASTERS '22: Hole-by-hole detail with best shots at Augusta
The Masters starts Thursday, and the course at Augusta National is among the most famous in the world because it hosts the only major held in the same place
MASTERS '22: 'Tea Olive' hole can be smelly start to Masters
Talk about a rude welcome to the Master
AP Online Golf
A mixture of sadness and pride for Patty T at Mission Hills
This is the final year the LPGA Tour's first major is at Mission Hills in California
Atthaya Thitikul wins JTBC Classic for first LPGA Tour title
Atthaya Thitikul won the JTBC Classic for her first LPGA Tour title, three-putting for bogey on the second hole of a playoff to outlast Nanna Koerstz Madsen
Nanna Koerstz Madsen hangs onto JTBC Classic lead
Nanna Koerstz Madsen was tied for the lead in the JTBC Classic when she teed off Saturday on the par-4 18th
AP Sports - Women's Golf
Zelenskyy: Retreating Russian troops leaving mines behind
Palin files paperwork to run in Alaska US House race
South Carolina tops Louisville 72-59, advances to title game
Aliyah Boston had 23 points and 18 rebounds to back up her AP National Player of the Year award and carry South Carolina to the NCAA championship game
Report criticizes Virginia's response to snowy I-95 gridlock
Virginia state agencies responding to a severe snowstorm that stranded hundreds of motorists along Interstate 95 in January collectively lost what a report called “situational awareness” amid the growing gridlock
Palmer holds 2-shot lead after 2 rounds of Valero Texas Open
Ryan Palmer shot a bogey-free round of 6-under 66 at the Valero Texas Open to lead by two shots over Kevin Chappell, Dylan Frittelli and Matt Kuchar after the second round