sunny.png
Friday May 27th, 2022 5:37PM

Antonio Brown says he was forced to play injured by Bucs

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Antonio Brown says he didn't quit on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the middle of a game, but rather he was cut after refusing to play through an ankle injury that sidelined him for several weeks this season.

The oft-troubled wide receiver, who took off his jersey, shoulder pads and undershirt before walking off the sideline during a game Sunday against the New York Jets, said in a statement released by his attorney that he was pressured to play and coach Bruce Arians fired him when the player told the coach he was not able to re-enter the game because of his ankle.

While not specifying which ankle was hurt, Brown — through a statement released by his attorney Wednesday — said an MRI performed Monday showed broken bone fragments, a ligament tear and cartilage loss “which are beyond painful. You can see the bone bulging from the outside.”

Arians said the day after the game that Brown did not claim he was injured when he refused to continue playing against the Jets. The coach declined to discuss specifics of the conversation on the sideline and said he had “no clue” why the receiver reacted by storming off the field, tossing some of his gear into the stands and waving to fans at MetLife Stadium.

Brown told a different story in his statement.

“Because of my commitment to the game, I relented to pressure directly from my coach to play injured,” he said. "Despite the pain, I suited up, the staff injected me with what I now know was a powerful and sometimes dangerous painkiller that the NFLPA has warned against using, and I gave it my all for the team. I played until it was clear that I could not use my ankle to safely perform my playing responsibilities.

"On top of that, the pain was extreme. I took a seat on the sideline and my coach came up to me, very upset, and shouted, `What’s wrong with you? What’s wrong with you?' I told him, `It’s my ankle.' But he knew that. It was well documented and we had discussed it.

“He then ordered me to get on the field. I said, `Coach, I can’t.' He didn’t call for medical attention. Instead, he shouted at me, `YOU’RE DONE!' while he ran his finger across his throat. Coach was telling me that if I didn’t play hurt, then I was done with the Bucs.”

Although Arians said after the game that Brown was no longer a part of the reigning Super Bowl champions, the 33-year-old receiver who's caught a pass in his last 144 games remained on the roster Wednesday.

Wednesday's injury report noted Brown's absence from practice was “not injury related - personal.”

Asked about the team not making an official transaction in regard to Brown, who did not accompany the team back to Tampa following Sunday's game, Arians replied: “It’s a management decision on what is happening right now.”

On whether it was simply a matter of how Brown will be removed the team, not if, Arians said: “Right.”

The team did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Brown's statement Wednesday night.

The receiver alleged a coverup.

“I didn't quit. I was cut. I didn't walk away from my brothers. I was thrown out,” Brown's statement read.

“Being fired on the sideline for having a painful injury was bad enough. Then came their “spin.” Coach denied on national television that he knew about my ankle. That's 100% inaccurate,” the receiver added. "Not only did he know I missed several games with the injury, he and I exchanged texts days before the game where he clearly acknowledged my injury."

Brown injured his ankle during a victory at Philadelphia in mid-October. He returned to the lineup against Carolina on Dec. 26, after serving a three-game suspension for misrepresenting his COVID-19 vaccination status.

The former Steelers, Raiders and Patriots receiver had 10 catches for 101 yards against the Panthers. He three receptions for 26 yards against the Jets after missing two practices last week due to the ankle injury.

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl and https://apnews.com/hub/pro-32 and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Football, AP National News, AP Online National News, Top General short headlines, AP Sports - NFL
© Copyright 2022 AccessWDUN.com
Antonio Brown says he was forced to play injured by Bucs
Antonio Brown says he was forced to play injured by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and that an MRI on Monday revealed damage to his ankle
Irving helps Nets charge past Pacers in his season debut
Kyrie Irving scored 22 points and sparked Brooklyn to a big rally in the second half of his season debut, Kevin Durant had 39 and the Nets beat the Indiana Pacers 129-121
Top US pairs skaters withdraw from nations due to COVID-19
Defending champions Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier withdrew from the U.S. Figure Skating Championships on Wednesday night when he tested positive for COVID-19
Saints defense hopes for a better rush vs. Falcons QB Ryan
The Saints' defense has been menacing quarterbacks and racking up sacks in three recent victories that have kept New Orleans alive in the NFC playoff race
Bucks' Budenholzer in health and safety protocols
Mike Budenholzer has entered the NBA’s health and safety protocols and Giannis Antetokounpo is sidelined with an illness unrelated to COVID-19, leaving the Milwaukee Bucks without their coach and star player against Toronto
Mavs set to retire Nowitzki's 41 against Curry, Warriors
The Dallas Mavericks are set to retire Dirk Nowitzki's No. 41 against Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors
Return of crowds did little to boost home advantage in NFL
The cheering fans returned to NFL stadiums this season, forcing road teams into silent counts and other coping mechanisms to deal with the noise
Rematch blues: Bama tries to buck history in CFP title game
A mere 37 days after they last played, Alabama faces Georgia again with a national football championship on the line
AFC North champ Bengals will rest Burrow in season finale
The AFC North champion Cincinnati Bengals won’t play quarterback Joe Burrow this week to make sure he is healthy for the first round of the playoffs
AP Online Football
The AP Interview: Pelosi says 'democracy won' on Jan. 6
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has one message for Americans and the world on the eve of the first anniversary of the Jan_ 6 attack on the Capitol: “Democracy won.”
US urges COVID boosters starting at age 12 to fight omicron
The U.S. is strengthening its COVID-19 booster campaign, endorsing an extra shot for everyone age 12 and older
NKorea says hypersonic missile tested to modernize weaponry
North Korea says it has successfully launched a hypersonic missile as part of efforts to modernize its strategic weapons systems, days after leader Kim Jong Un vowed to bolster his military forces despite pandemic-related difficulties
AP National News
'Mudi'? Try a toy: American Kennel Club adds 2 dog breeds
An athletic Hungarian farm dog and a tiny pet of bygone Russian aristocrats are the latest breeds to join the American Kennel Club’s purebred lineup
Philadelphia fire kills at least 13, including 7 children
The deadliest single fire in Philadelphia in at least a century has killed 13 people, including seven children, and sent two people to hospitals
Partial remains found during search of Colorado fire area
Investigators looking for one of two people missing after a destructive Colorado wildfire have found partial human remains in an area near the suspected origin of the blaze
AP Online National News
Washington to reveal new name on Feb. 2; won't be RedWolves
Washington's NFL team says it will unveil its new name on Feb. 2
11:59AM ( 1 day ago )
Washington to reveal new name Feb. 2; won't be RedWolves
Washington's NFL team says it will unveil its new name on Feb. 2
9:15AM ( 1 day ago )
Roethlisberger, Steelers top Browns to stay in playoff mix
Ben Roethlisberger threw for 123 yards and a touchdown in likely his final start at Heinz Field as the Pittsburgh Steelers beat Cleveland 26-14
1:28AM ( 1 day ago )
AP Sports - NFL
Irving helps Nets charge past Pacers in his season debut
Top US pairs skaters withdraw from nations due to COVID-19
Asian stocks follow Wall St lower after Fed rates signal
Asian stock markets have followed Wall Street lower after investors saw minutes from a Federal Reserve meeting as a sign the U.S. central bank might hike interest rates faster to cool inflation
Doncic, Mavs beat Curry, Warriors 99-82 on Nowitzki's night
Luka Doncic scored 26 points and the Dallas Mavericks celebrated before a ceremony to retire Dirk Nowitzki’s number by beating cold-shooting Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors 99-82 on Wednesday night
A year after Jan. 6, Congress more deeply divided than ever
A year after the Jan. 6 attack, Congress is more deeply divided than ever, and it shows in how lawmakers are choosing to mark the day