clearn.png
Monday October 18th, 2021 12:10AM

Cantlay says any bonus money from PIP would go to the fans

ATLANTA (AP) — Patrick Cantlay and Harris English are among those not expecting to get any of the $40 million bonus money from the “Player Impact Program,” which measures through five digital metrics how a player engages with fans. The top 10 players are rewarded.

Cantlay is No. 4 in the world — that’s for his golf. He doesn’t know his PIP rating, which goes until the end of the year.

“I doubt I’m doing very well in that category,” he said.

But he knows what he would do with the money.

“If I were to win any portion of the 10, I would let you know and I would be compelled to give all that money back to the fans that made it possible,” Cantlay said. “Because there’s no way a person like me should be able to get into the top 10 of the PIP if not for people out there deciding that they want me to be in the top 10 and to try to get some of that PIP money for themselves.”

English is No. 11 in the world coming after a big season. He guessed he would be somewhere in the 30s on the PIP scale. He’s not expecting any holiday bonus.

“I’m not a guy who’s going to self-promote a lot. I don’t want people to know what I’m doing every single day,” he said. “That’s not me. So I can’t force that. I can’t be fake. ... If I’m up there close, fine. If I’m not, I don’t really care. I can’t change who I am and I’m not going to force it.”

Their outlook on the program, however, is different.

English sees it as a good response by the PGA Tour to “up their game” with various leagues, some with Saudi funding, making overtures.

As for Cantlay? He had mentioned the PIP earlier as it related to attention-seeking moves eliciting the wrong kind of fan behavior.

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous and I think it’s, when I said there’s a symptom of a larger problem, I think that’s exactly what I’m talking about,” he said.

MORIKAWA'S BACK

Collin Morikawa has no issues with his back, which first flared up during the opening round of the Olympics and surfaced again right before the playoff.

He was more bothered by playing hurt and developing bad patterns in his swing.

The British Open champion thinks he’s back to normal, and the timing couldn’t be better. Morikawa began the postseason as the No. 1 season, and after a missed cut and a tie for 63rd, his FedEx Cup position is No. 11.

That means he starts the Tour Championship seven shots behind.

“It’s just the patterns I built into my swing when I played injured just created such a bad habit,” he said. “So I was trying to teach myself last week how to swing like my old self. We’re working back there. I would call it 95% back to the original swing. There’s just a couple little kinks here and there that show up.”

He has no regrets going to Tokyo for the Olympics. Morikawa says his mistake was playing hurt the following week at a World Golf Championship in Memphis, Tennessee. He tied for 26th that week, but the bad patterns began to take root.

“I know what my swing does, right? I’ve done it for my entire life,” he said. “PGA Tour players are so good at repeating something, so when I do something for two weeks, I’m going to think, ‘Oh, that’s what my normal is,’ when really my normal is not that. It’s because I was protecting away from not trying to injure it even more.”

PLAYOFF SHAVE

You've heard about players growing beards for the playoffs? Dustin Johnson went the other direction ahead of the FedEx Cup finale at East Lake. He showed up Wednesday at the Tour Championship with a clean shave.

And there wasn't a lot of thought that went into it.

“Yesterday I was shaving and I decided to shave it off,” Johnson said.

He did that ahead of the U.S. Open at Erin Hills in 2017, and that didn't work out for him. He missed the cut.

Odds are this won't last long.

“By Sunday, I'll have a beard,” he said.

PINSTRIPES FOR ARMOR

Patrick Cantlay and Rory McIlroy offered great insight into how the fan experience in golf is different from other sports, mainly in how close spectators can get. There are fist bumps (pre-COVID 19) going to the next tee, and spectators within a few feet when shots go well off line.

And yes, there are plenty of nasty comments.

Cantlay made an interesting connection to baseball — specifically the jersey — as it relates to negative comments from the gallery.

“You’re all by yourself, and you don’t have the armor of putting on Yankee pinstripes,” he said. “You don’t have the armor of knowing that if you’re on the Yankees and people hate you and you’re playing in Boston, you can tolerate it for three hours in right field.

“But you only tolerate it because you know next week or on Friday you’re going to show up and you’re going to be in Yankee Stadium and no matter what you do, even if you fall on your face, you’re going to have the pinstripe armor on and people are going to love you.”

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Online - Georgia News, AP Sports - PGA
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
R. Kelly accuser says he kept gun nearby while berating her
One of R. Kelly’s accusers has told a jury that he kept a gun by his side while he berated her before forcing her to give him oral sex in a Los Angeles music studio
After Ida, small recovery signs amid daunting destruction
Residents of Louisiana communities hit hard by Hurricane Ida are seeing small signs of progress amid the need for a monumental recovery
Jaguars have college feel amid Meyer's methods, missteps
Urban Meyer's first NFL season is also his first taste of real football since the end of the 2018 season
Muñoz is latest Red Sox player to test positive for COVID-19
Boston infielder Yairo Muñoz has become the latest Red Sox player to test positive for COVID-19 as the virus surge impacting the team remains unrelenting
Mets acting GM Zack Scott arrested on DUI charge
The New York Mets say they are “surprised and deeply disappointed” to learn acting general manager Zack Scott has been arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated
Ronaldo becomes highest scoring man in international soccer
Cristiano Ronaldo has become the highest-scoring man in the international soccer history with his 110th goal for Portugal on Wednesday
'Brooksie' comment to DeChambeau could lead to fan ejection
Fans who yell “Brooksie!”
Column: Soft courses, low scores and a need for more variety
The PGA Tour has provided plenty of entertainment in its chase for the FedEx Cup
Chase for golf's $15 million bonus ends at Tour Championship
The end of the PGA Tour season brings 30 players to East Lake for the richest prize in golf
AP Online Golf
Ida's remnants close roads, prompt concerns of dam failure
Soaking rains from the remnants of Hurricane Ida prompted the evacuations of thousands of people after water reached dangerous levels at a dam upstream from Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Ida's remnants lash states with rain, pose tornado threats
The remnants of Hurricane Ida are blowing into New England, a band of severe weather that's flooding low-lying communities and forcing evacuations in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania
AP Online - Georgia News
DeChambeau overpowers Caves Valley and narrowly misses a 59
There was no stopping Bryson DeChambeau at Caves Valley
DeChambeau overpowers Cave Valley and narrowly misses a 59
There was no stopping Bryson DeChambeau at Caves Valley
McIlroy, Rahm part of 3-way tie for lead at Caves Valley
Rory McIlroy suddenly has found a pep in his step
AP Sports - PGA
R. Kelly accuser says he kept gun nearby while berating her
After Ida, small recovery signs amid daunting destruction
Jaguars have college feel amid Meyer's methods, missteps
Mixed feelings in El Paso about looser Texas gun limits
A new Texas law allows most people age 21 or older who haven’t been convicted of a felony can carry a holstered handgun in public without undergoing any training or getting a permit
Biden meets Ukraine leader in long-sought Oval Office visit
President Joe Biden used his first meeting with a foreign leader since ending the war in Afghanistan to send the message that the United States — unburdened of its “forever war”— is determined to become a more reliable ally to its friends