pcloudy.png
Saturday May 8th, 2021 11:54AM

Luzardo apologizes for breaking finger playing video game

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Jesús Luzardo has played video games all his life. The Oakland lefty will continue to do so with fervor, even after the embarrassment of breaking the pinkie on his pitching hand while gaming.

Luzardo has apologized to his teammates and Athletics manager Bob Melvin for the accident, which occurred Saturday when he banged his hand into a table while playing a video game four hours before a start.

Luzardo is out indefinitely with a broken bone in his finger.

“I'm a 23-year-old kid, I make mistakes,” Luzardo said Tuesday. “I feel like a lot of people don't realize that we are people as well and we make mistakes, the same mistakes that fans make, the same mistakes that people that work normal jobs make."

“It was an immature mistake and it was a stupid mistake. But I still made a mistake and that's something that I'm going to learn from and I'm not going to do again,” he said.

Luzardo noted it's not as if he threw his hand down in anger or out of frustration — it was merely bad luck, he said.

On a Zoom video call, Luzardo demonstrated how his hand came out to his side and hit the top of a table, what he called a reaction to something that happened in the game. He didn't share what game he was playing.

“There's no way for me to describe this in any other way other than stupid and maybe immature,” he said. “I've never had something like this happen and I don't plan on anything like this happening again.”

In hindsight, he might not have tried to pitch through it the way he did against Baltimore. Even though his hand became swollen within minutes of the injury, Luzardo convinced the A's he would be fine to make his start.

Luzardo gave up six runs and five hits in three innings to take a loss in the 8-4 defeat to the Orioles.

“I said I was fine. Maybe subconsciously, I had Adrenalin. I wanted to go out there and pitch, maybe it did (affect me),” Luzardo said. “I'm not one to make excuses so I don't think it did. I thought I felt good.”

An X-ray after the game revealed a hairline fracture. He will use a splint to protect the finger — and in time will get back to his video game fun.

“When I get back I'm going to play. I've played video games my whole life, this never happened to me,” he said. “I don't plan on hitting my hand again, maybe I move a little farther away from the table next time.”

He is 1-3 with a 5.79 ERA over six starts this season.

Luzardo's teammates have been supportive about the freak injury. He assured them all it “won't happen again.”

“I felt bad. I went and I apologized to the team. I said what I had to say, what I felt was right to say,” Luzardo said. “I felt like they did have my back.”

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/tag/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Baseball , AP Sports - Major League Baseball
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
Luzardo apologizes for breaking finger playing video game
Jesús Luzardo has played video games all his life
Reds' Amir Garrett suspended for 7 games by MLB, appeals
Cincinnati reliever Amir Garrett has been suspended for seven games by Major League Baseball
Cheney could be 'toast' in fight with Trump over GOP future
Republican House leader Kevin McCarthy wants his party to stand with Donald Trump, despite his false claims about losing the election to Joe Biden
Kershaw goes 1 inning in shortest start, Cubs top Dodgers
Clayton Kershaw lasted just one inning in the shortest start of his stellar career while Kyle Hendricks pitched a complete game for the Chicago Cubs in a 7-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a split doubleheader
Kentucky Derby, NFL draft pull in television viewers
Two sports events last week, the Kentucky Derby and first round of the NFL draft, pulled in more television viewers than the Academy Awards less than two weeks earlier
Mets scratch deGrom because of tightness in right side
New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom was scratched from his start against St. Louis because he was having trouble getting loose as he started to stretch ahead of his outing
LEADING OFF: Minor league opening day, Dodgers' May needs TJ
From the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp to the Tri-City Dust Devils, minor league teams are set to host opening day across the country following more than a year of uncertainty and empty ballparks
Adames, Margot slug Rays past Angels 7-3; Rendon injured
Willy Adames and Manuel Margot homered, Mike Brosseau had a two-run single and the Tampa Bay Rays opened a seven-game California road trip with a 7-3 victory over the Los Angeles Angels
Wainwright, Cards win 5th in row; Mets fire hitting coaches
Adam Wainwright came off the COVID-19 injured list and hung tough, St. Louis got a lights-out performance from its bullpen and the Cardinals beat the New York Mets 6-5 for their fifth straight win
AP Online Baseball
Alonso, Mets top Phillies 8-7 after replay reversal
Pete Alonso capped New York’s six-run eighth inning with a three-run double, and the Mets used a defensive meltdown by Philadelphia and a replay reversal to beat the Phillies 8-7
12:07AM ( 1 day ago )
LEADING OFF: Luzardo hurt playing video game, Ohtani starts
Athletics left-hander Jesús Luzardo will be off the mound for a while
Scherzer leads Nats over Miami, heads to join wife for birth
Max Scherzer pitched a five-hitter and the Washington Nationals defeated the Miami Marlins 3-1
AP Sports - Major League Baseball
Reds' Amir Garrett suspended for 7 games by MLB, appeals
Cheney could be 'toast' in fight with Trump over GOP future
Chauvin's lawyer seeks new trial, impeachment of verdict
The defense attorney for the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of killing George Floyd has requested a new trial, saying the court abused its discretion on several points and that the verdict should be impeached because of jury misconduct
As pandemic ebbs, an old fear is new again: mass shootings
After a year of pandemic lockdowns, mass shootings are back — but the guns never went away
LEADING OFF: Mets check deGrom, Soto eases back with Nats
The New York Mets will see how ace Jacob deGrom is feeling, a day after he was scratched from his start at St. Louis when he had trouble getting loose during a pregame stretch