sunny.png
Sunday May 16th, 2021 2:23PM

Iran state TV acknowledges ship attacked in Red Sea

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — An Iranian cargo ship believed to be a base for the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard and anchored for years in the Red Sea off Yemen has been attacked, Iranian state television acknowledged Wednesday.

The state TV acknowledgment, citing foreign media, marks the first Iranian comment on the mysterious incident Tuesday involving the MV Saviz, suspected to have been carried out by Israel. The attack came as Iran and world powers sat down in Vienna for the first talks about the U.S. potentially rejoining Tehran's tattered nuclear deal, showing that challenges ahead don't rest merely in those negotiations.

The ship's long presence in the region, repeatedly criticized by Saudi Arabia, has come as the West and United Nations experts say Iran has provided arms and support to Yemen's Houthi rebels amid that country's yearslong war. Iran denies arming the Houthis, though components found in the rebels' weaponry link back to Tehran.

Iran previously described the Saviz as aiding in “anti-piracy” efforts in the Red Sea and the Bab el-Mandeb strait, a crucial choke point in international shipping.

In the state TV statement, an anchor cited a New York Times story published Wednesday, which quoted an anonymous U.S. official telling the newspaper that Israel warned America about a planned attack on the vessel. Israeli officials declined to comment Tuesday night about the incident when reached by The Associated Press.

However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday brought up the deal in a speech to his Likud party after being asked to form a government following the country's recent election.

"We must not go back to the dangerous nuclear deal with Iran, because a nuclear Iran is an existential threat to the state of Israel and a great threat to the security of the entire world,” Netanyahu said.

Iran's semiofficial Tasnim news agency, believed to be close to the Guard, reported the attack late Tuesday, saying explosives planted on the hull of the Saviz exploded. It did not blame anyone for the attack and said Iranian officials likely would offer more information in the coming days.

In a statement, the U.S. military’s Central Command only said it was “aware of media reporting of an incident involving the Saviz in the Red Sea.”

“We can confirm that no U.S. forces were involved in the incident,” the command said. “We have no additional information to provide.”

The Saviz, owned by the state-linked Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines, came to the Red Sea in late 2016, according to ship-tracking data. In the years since, it has drifted off the Dahlak archipelago, a chain of islands off the coast of the nearby African nation of Eritrea in the Red Sea. It likely received supply replenishments and switched crew via passing Iranian vessels using the waterway.

Briefing materials from the Saudi military earlier obtained by the AP showed men on the vessel dressed in camouflage, military-style fatigues, as well as small boats capable of ferrying cargo to the Yemeni coast. That briefing material also included pictures showing a variety of antennas on the vessel that the Saudi government described as unusual for a commercial cargo ship, suggesting it conducted electronic surveillance. Other images showed the ship had mounts for .50-caliber machine guns.

The Washington Institute for Near-East Policy has called the Saviz an “Iranian mothership” in the region, similarly describing it as an intelligence-gathering base and an armory for the Guard. Policy papers from the institute don't explain how they came to that conclusion, though its analysts routinely have access to Gulf and Israeli military sources.

The Saviz had been under international sanctions until Iran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, which saw Tehran receive economic relief in exchange for limiting its enrichment of uranium. The Trump administration later renewed American sanctions on the Saviz as part of its decision to unilaterally withdraw from the accord.

In June 2019, Saudi Arabia flew a critically ill Iranian off the Saviz after Tehran made a request through the United Nations for assistance.

___

Follow Jon Gambrell on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jongambrellAP

  • Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP National News, AP Online National News, Top General short headlines, AP World News
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
The Latest: India sees another record day of new virus cases
India has hit another new peak with 115,736 coronavirus cases reported in the past 24 hours
1:29AM ( 22 minutes ago )
Curry, Warriors use furious finish to hold off Bucks 122-121
Kelly Oubre Jr. converted a pair of free throws with 7.7 seconds left to give Golden State the lead and Milwaukee missed at the end as the Warriors held off the Bucks 122-121
12:55AM ( 56 minutes ago )
Asia Today: North Korea tells WHO it's still virus-free
North Korea has continued to claim a perfect record in keeping out the coronavirus in its latest report to the World Health Organization
12:48AM ( 1 hour ago )
Associated Press (AP)
Biden makes all adults eligible for a vaccine on April 19
President Joe Biden says he's bumping up his deadline by two weeks for states to make all adults eligible for coronavirus vaccines
12:09AM ( 1 hour ago )
EXPLAINER: Senate eyes budget rule to push past filibuster
With the Senate split 50-50, leaders of the Democratic majority are looking for ways to advance their priorities past opponents
12:07AM ( 1 hour ago )
Survey: Even as schools reopen, many students learn remotely
A new survey from the Biden administration finds that large numbers of students are not returning to the classroom even as more schools reopen for full-time, in-person learning
12:04AM ( 1 hour ago )
AP National News
Minneapolis officers line up to reject Chauvin's actions
The parade of Minneapolis police officers rejecting a former officer’s actions in restraining George Floyd is continuing at his murder trial
11:49PM ( 2 hours ago )
Arkansas lawmakers enact transgender youth treatment ban
Arkansas lawmakers have made the state the first to ban gender confirming treatments and surgery for transgender youth, enacting the prohibition over the governor’s objections
11:29PM ( 2 hours ago )
AP Interview: India could resume vaccine exports by June
The world’s largest vaccine maker, based in India, will be able to restart exports of AstraZeneca doses by June if new coronavirus infections subside in the country, its chief executive says
8:20PM ( 5 hours ago )
AP Online National News
The Latest: India sees another record day of new virus cases
India has hit another new peak with 115,736 coronavirus cases reported in the past 24 hours
1:29AM ( 22 minutes ago )
Curry, Warriors use furious finish to hold off Bucks 122-121
Kelly Oubre Jr. converted a pair of free throws with 7.7 seconds left to give Golden State the lead and Milwaukee missed at the end as the Warriors held off the Bucks 122-121
12:55AM ( 57 minutes ago )
Asia Today: North Korea tells WHO it's still virus-free
North Korea has continued to claim a perfect record in keeping out the coronavirus in its latest report to the World Health Organization
12:48AM ( 1 hour ago )
Kershaw bounces back, Dodgers beat winless A's 5-1
Clayton Kershaw struck out eight in seven smooth innings to send the Athletics to their worst start in more than a century, and the Los Angeles Dodgers beat winless Oakland 5-1 for their fifth straight victory
12:47AM ( 1 hour ago )
Indonesia landslides death toll rises to 119, dozens missing
The death toll from mudslides in eastern Indonesia has risen to 119 with scores still missing as rain continued to pound the region and hamper the search
12:26AM ( 1 hour ago )