rain.png
Tuesday June 22nd, 2021 7:54AM

Wie West struggles to 9-over 81 in return to LPGA Tour

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) — Michelle Wie West struggled through a round of 9-over 81 in her first tournament in nearly two years, while Inbee Park shot a 6-under 66 to take the first-round lead Thursday in the Kia Classic at Aviara.

Park had a solid, bogey-free round in rainy, breezy conditions in the afternoon. Fellow South Korean Hyo Joo Kim was a stroke behind, and Sophia Popov, In Gee Chun, Stephanie Meadow and Mel Reid shot 68.

The focus was on the 31-year-old Wie West in her first event since giving birth to daughter Makenna nine months ago. This is her first tournament since the Women’s PGA Championship at Hazeltine in June 2019, when she shot 84-82.

She had hoped for a smoother return to the tour but finished the round tied with Yani Tseng for 142nd in the 144-player field. Wie West opened with her only birdie and then carded seven bogeys in her next 13 holes. She made a double bogey-6 on No. 15 and closed with a bogey on 18.

“I birdied the first hole, so that was good,” Wie West said. “I hit a lot of great shots today. Just felt like I had a couple unlucky bounces here and there that could have made a big difference. At the same time, I just couldn’t get my putter going. I Just didn’t make a lot confident strokes out there today which I know I can improve for tomorrow.”

Wie West said she had no excuses.

“I’m really taking a lot of the positives out of it, and there were a lot. It didn’t seem like it, but I’m excited," she said. "I’m grateful to be back out here, grateful that I have another day tomorrow to kind of get my game ready for ANA. I hope I make a lot of birdies tomorrow.”

The ANA Inspiration, the season’s first major, is next week at Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage.

Even though her parents flew over from Hawaii to help care for her daughter, Wie West said the demands of motherhood will affect the time she can spend at the course.

“I mean, I would be spending an hour on this putting green, but I’ve got to head back and do bath time now,” she said. “So definitely priorities are there, are different, and that’s just kind of ... I mean, I had a big smile on my face all day today because life is good. I’m out here playing again; I have a beautiful daughter.”

Wie West was bothered by a hand injury in 2019 and said she thought about retiring, until finding out she was going to have a girl. She is married to Jonnie West, director of basketball operations for the Golden State Warriors and son of basketball great Jerry West.

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Sports - PGA, AP Sports - Women's Golf
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
Georgia Gov. Kemp signs GOP election bill amid an outcry
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has drawn protests as he signed into law a sweeping Republican-sponsored overhaul of state elections
Lawyer: Colorado shooting suspect needs mental health review
The suspect in the Colorado supermarket shooting has appeared in court for the first time
Romania OKs holding Easter celebrations despite virus surge
As Romania battles a surge of COVID-19 infections, authorities announced on Thursday that Easter celebrations in the deeply Christian country will physically go ahead this year
White Sox star Jiménez to miss most of season after rupture
A week before opening day, the Chicago White Sox found out slugger Eloy Jiménez will be closed down for most of the season
Great Scot! MacIntyre battles world No. 1 Johnson to a draw
Bob MacIntyre gave Dustin Johnson all he could handle in the Match Play
Max Fried gets the nod as Braves' opening day starter
Max Fried will make his first opening day start for the Atlanta Braves, getting the nod in the wake of two stellar seasons
The Latest: DeChambeau hits tree, into water, but still wins
Bryson DeChambeau sure knows how to make things interesting
The Latest: Kisner makes it 8 in a row and eliminates Thomas
Make it eight in a row for Kevin Kisner
The Latest: Spieth loses last 2 holes and settles for a tie
Jordan Spieth never trailed the entire match and it still felt like a loss
AP Online Golf
The Latest: Preakness to run in front of 10,000 fans in May
The Preakness will be run in front of a limited capacity of 10,000 fans at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on May 15
Match Play returns with last chance to secure Masters invite
Match Play returns to Texas for the first time in two years
10:40AM ( 2 days ago )
Detroit's tour stop to host event to create path for Blacks
The Rocket Mortgage Classic emphasized diversity and inclusion when it became part of the PGA Tour schedule two years ago
8:12AM ( 3 days ago )
AP Sports - PGA
Ernst wins Drive On Championship for 3rd LPGA Tour title
Austin Ernst won the Drive On Championship on Sunday for her third LPGA Tour title, pulling away to beat fellow former NCAA champion Jennifer Kupcho by five strokes at Golden Ocala
7:27PM ( 2 weeks ago )
Kupcho eagles 18th to cut Ernst’s LPGA Tour lead to stroke
Jennifer Kupcho made a 12-foot eagle putt on the final hole to cut Austin Ernst’s lead to a stroke Saturday in the LPGA Tour’s Drive On Championship
6:37PM ( 2 weeks ago )
Kupcho, Ernst share lead in LPGA's Drive On Championship.
Jennifer Kupcho and Austin Ernst each shot their second straight 5-under 67 to share the second-round lead Friday in the LPGA Tour’s Drive On Championship
6:35PM ( 2 weeks ago )
AP Sports - Women's Golf
Georgia Gov. Kemp signs GOP election bill amid an outcry
Lawyer: Colorado shooting suspect needs mental health review
Nats OF Juan Soto leaves game early with right calf cramp
Washington Nationals star Juan Soto left a 7-3 exhibition loss at the Miami Marlins in the middle of the first inning with what manager Dave Martinez said was a cramp in his right calf
Mexico tops 200,000 COVID-19 deaths, but real toll is higher
As Mexico surpasses 200,000 test-confirmed deaths from COVID-19, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has framed ramped up vaccination efforts as a race against time
N Korea confirms missile tests as Biden warns of response
North Korea has confirmed it tested a new guided missile as President Joe Biden warned of consequences if Pyongyang escalates tensions amid stalled nuclear negotiations