sunny.png
Sunday August 1st, 2021 1:35PM

Ringo calling! If he wants you to sing, who could say no?

LOS ANGELES (AP) — If Ringo Starr calls to ask if you'll sing on a song for him, who could possibly say no?

The beloved Beatle dug into his contacts for help on the chorus of “Here's to the Nights,” his most recent song written by Diane Warren, and he recruited quite a choir.

Paul McCartney. Sheryl Crow. Dave Grohl. Lenny Kravitz. Joe Walsh. Ben Harper. Finneas. Chris Stapleton. Yola. Jenny Lewis. Corinne Bailey Rae. Eric Burton (of the Black Pumas). Steve Lukather.

“Here's to the nights we won't remember, with the friends we won't forget,” they all sing. It's a perfect sentiment for the 80-year-old drummer who, as McCartney once sang “has memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.”

“Everyone was really kind to me to do what they did,” Starr recently told The Associated Press.

Two people did say no, actually. Ringo won't reveal who, but they must have been REALLY busy.

Starr's EP of five new songs comes out Friday. The project gave him something to do during COVID-19 lockdown in his Los Angeles home. He said he divided much of his time between making music, painting and working out.

“Last year I left the house no more than seven times, and I think I'm exaggerating,” he said. “I'm a prime target for this COVID. Now I've had my shots. I feel groovy and there's nowhere to go!”

One place was Sunday's Grammy Awards, where he presented the record of the year honor to Billie Eilish, who — let's do the math here — was born 31 years after the Beatles broke up.

Even a Beatle gets the blues, and Starr said he felt it during the long layoff. He had to cancel gigs with his All-Starr Band last year and, most recently, postponed hopeful plans to go back on the road in May and June, and again in the fall. He'll wait until next year, at least.

“I was really sad in the beginning because I couldn't go on the road,” he said. “I love to play. I love the audience. They love me. I'll go anywhere to be loved!”

He chuckled at that remark. It's one of the things he has in common with his other surviving Beatles mate. They both stay very active musically, love to perform and, with vegetarian diets, are both in the type of shape that others their age would envy.

For Starr, his vehicle the last three decades has been the All-Starr Band, a simple concept that continually regenerates. He invites a rotating crew of veteran musicians, the main requirement being they must have been part of some hit songs, in order to keep the set list varied and fresh.

He said he was so insecure the first time he brought along two fellow drummers: Levon Helm and Jim Keltner.

It turned out to be great fun for Starr, who loves being in a band, as is obvious from his beaming face when he sits behind a drum kit.

“Every time I'd finish an All-Starr tour, I'd come home and tell Barbara, ‘that’s it, I've done it, I've had enough,'” he said. “She'd say, ‘certainly, darling.' Weeks later, I'd be saying I've got to get on the road. I've got to call people. That's just who I am.”

He's also promoting a limited-edition book, “Ringo Rocks: 30 Years of the All-Starrs.”

It's not a bad track record for a sickly boy who grew up in a rough section of Liverpool, an only child who joined a band that gave him three brothers for life.

“It was a super-incredible connection of peace and love,” Starr said. “It was so great. I still miss John and George, but that's how life is. Paul and I are still great friends and we support each other.”

AP Entertainment Writer David Bauder in New York contributed to this report.

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP National News, AP Online National News, AP Entertainment, AP Online Recordings News
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
Lawyers for Johnny Depp appeal 'wife beater' ruling in UK
Lawyers for Johnny Depp have moved to overturn a British court ruling that he assaulted ex-wife Amber Heard by arguing that Heard did not donate all of her $7 million divorce settlement to charity as she claimed
8:10AM ( 20 minutes ago )
German church abuse report faults serving archbishop, others
A report commissioned by the Cologne archdiocese on church officials’ handling of past cases of sexual abuse by clergy finds 75 cases in which eight high-ranking church officials, among them a serving archbishop, neglected their duties when it came to both perpetrators and victims
8:08AM ( 21 minutes ago )
Who deserves credit? Biden leans into pandemic politics
In President Joe Biden’s war against the coronavirus, former President Donald Trump does not exist
7:59AM ( 30 minutes ago )
Tokyo Olympics: yet another scandal over sexist comments
Tokyo Olympics director Hiroshi Sasaki has resigned after making demeaning comments about a well-known female celebrity in Japan
James Levine, who ruled over Met Opera, dead at age 77
Conductor James Levine, who ruled over the Metropolitan Opera for more than four decades before being eased aside when his health declined and then was fired for sexual improprieties, has died
'Operation Varsity Blues' reenacts and reorients a scandal
The Netflix documentary “Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admission Scandal" attempts to reorient center stage in a headline-grabbing drama that has already spawned one Lifetime movie
AP Entertainment
Berlin to open cultural venues despite rising virus numbers
Some museums and concert halls in Berlin are re-opening their gates even though COVID-19 infection numbers are on the rise again in Berlin and across the country
3:34AM ( 2 days ago )
Riz Ahmed, Leslie Odom Jr, Chloe Zhao react to Oscar nods
Riz Ahmed says he greeted his best actor Oscar nomination with quiet thanks, but leapt for joy when he heard co-star Paul Raci and writer-director Darius Marder's names called on Monday
Riz Ahmed, Leslie Odom Jr, Vanessa Kirby react to Oscar nods
AP Online Recordings News
Lawyers for Johnny Depp appeal 'wife beater' ruling in UK
8:10AM ( 20 minutes ago )
German church abuse report faults serving archbishop, others
8:08AM ( 21 minutes ago )
Who deserves credit? Biden leans into pandemic politics
7:59AM ( 30 minutes ago )
Putin points finger at US after Biden's 'killer' remark
Russian President Vladimir Putin says that U.S. President Joe Biden’s remarks about him reflect the United States' own past and current problems
7:58AM ( 31 minutes ago )
Despite headwinds, House set to OK Dems' immigration bills
Democrats appear poised to claim victory in the House’s first votes this year on immigration
7:49AM ( 40 minutes ago )