clearn.png
Wednesday June 23rd, 2021 2:29AM

Riz Ahmed, Leslie Odom Jr, others react to Oscar nominations

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Reactions from some of the nominees for the 93rd Academy Awards:

——

“I owe Sam everything for this role. I leaned into Sam Cooke’s signature confidence and signature swagger to make this believable. There were plenty of places that I felt like I might not measure up. But in those moments, I would reach for Sam’s confidence, because he knew how to measure up. There were times, there were moments that it felt like bringing him so close helped me find some of that magic in myself.” — Leslie Odom Jr., nominated for best supporting actor for his role as Sam Cooke in “One Night in Miami,” in an interview.

“When you hear your own name it’s a weird feeling, I just quietly gave thanks and felt some gratitude ... but when I heard (fellow nominees including Paul Raci and Darius Marder) I was punching the air and jumping up and down in my bed and screaming! This really felt like a family affair.” — Riz Ahmed, nominated for best actor for “Sound of Metal,” in an interview.

“Wow Wa We Waa! Thank you to the Academy for this honor! I really can’t believe this — to hear my name in the company of these remarkable women and their breathtaking performances is a dream come true! I am so grateful to Sacha Baron Cohen and my “Borat” family and congratulations to them for their adapted screenplay nomination." — Maria Bakalova, nominated for best supporting actress for “Borat,” in a statement.

“It feels exactly the way you think it does. It feels great. It doesn’t get old ... As a writer this is hard for me to say but I’m beginning to think the performance of the cast may have something to do with the quality of the film. Showing up for work in the morning I felt like I was getting tossed the keys to a Formula One race car and as long as I didn’t put the car in the wall, these actors were going to win.” — Aaron Sorkin, director and screenwriter of “The Trial of the Chicago 7,” nominated in six categories including best picture, in an interview.

“Oh, no, never, ever even dreamt about it. No, it was just other side of the world, that story. So not to me.” — Yuh-Jung Youn, nominated for best supporting actress for “Minari,” said in an interview after arriving in Vancouver, Canada, and beginning a quarantine period.

“Never going to stop crying,” Emerald Fennell, nominated for best director and best original screenplay for “Promising Young Woman,” which also received nods for best picture and best actress, on Twitter.

“It was a complete surprise. We were in the middle of talking about something else because we, of course, never, ever saw that coming and that created more sort of a sense of ecstasy and and the element of celebration escalated drastically. ... It’s midday here and I’ve already had my share of champagne, bubbles are good to start with. It accelerates things. And yes, I’ll have some drinks tonight.” — Thomas Vinterberg on his nomination for best director for “Another Round,” which was also nominated for best international feature film, in an interview.

“We are up in the mountains at Lake Arrowhead expecting a snowstorm this morning. This was especially a great day to wake up (early) ... There's kind of a moment when you see your movie appear that you were hoping for it but there it is, and you can't believe it, and its an incredibly satisfying rewarding thing that you hope that everybody on the team got up also to experience. This is the first time I have directed a feature so any kind of acknowledgment is really a wonderful honor… (Late screenwriter) Audrey Wells wrote a story knowing she would not live to see this movie, she put her heart and soul into this to communicate a message that was perfect for the world at this time … I am still amazed that I was given the opportunity to direct it.” — Glen Keane, director of “Over the Moon,” nominated for best animated feature, in an interview.

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, AP Online Movies News, AP Online Recordings News, APOnline Celebrity News
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
Oscars surprises, snubs include Glenn Close, ‘Da 5 Bloods’
It’s a rare year when most of the Oscar nominations surprises are good ones, but 2020 was also a rare year for moviegoing and awards campaigns
11:46AM ( 13 minutes ago )
The Latest: Germany suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine
The German government says it is suspending use of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine over fresh reports of dangerous blood clots in connection with the shot
11:43AM ( 16 minutes ago )
Germany, France suspend use of AstraZeneca vaccine
French President Emmanuel Macron says that France is suspending the use of the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine use out of precaution
11:35AM ( 24 minutes ago )
'Mank' leads Oscar nominations in a year with diverse slates
David Fincher’s “Mank” has led nominations for the 93rd Academy Awards with 10 nods
11:22AM ( 38 minutes ago )
Next play: Brees joins NBC Sports after retiring from NFL
Drew Brees is headed from the Superdome to the Golden Dome
11:11AM ( 48 minutes ago )
Fashionable Grammys: Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles' boas
Doja Cat went for neon feathers and a moto-inspired look zipped all the way down as the stars offered up fashion live and in person at the Grammys
11:06AM ( 54 minutes ago )
AP Entertainment
Oscar nominations Monday could belong to 'Mank' and Netflix
Nominations to the 93rd Academy Awards on Monday will look unlike they ever have before
French actor strips for culture during Cesar Awards ceremony
The awards ceremony for France’s equivalent of the Oscars included an eye-catching appeal for culture in the age of the coronavirus
10:46AM ( 2 days ago )
Almodóvar returns to the female universe with Penélope Cruz
Pedro Almodóvar exposed all his vulnerability in the semi-autobiographical film “Pain and Glory.”
11:39AM ( 3 days ago )
AP Online Movies News
Ladies night: Beyoncé, Swift make history as others win big
Female performers including Beyoncé and Taylor Swift had a record-making night at the 2021 Grammy Awards, a jam-packed but socially distanced show highlighted by live music sorely absent during the pandemic era
Who run the Grammys? Women. Beyoncé, Swift make history.
Grammys' in memoriam especially long, grim in pandemic year
Brandi Carlile paid tribute to John Prine, Bruno Mars celebrated Little Richard and Lionel Richie honored Kenny Rogers and Brandi Carlile during an in memoriam segment at the Grammy Awards that featured an especially long list of names after a year of the coronavirus pandemic
AP Online Recordings News
The Latest: Grammys honors the many lost to the pandemic
Bruno Mars celebrated Little Richard, Lionel Richie honored Kenny Rogers and Brandi Carlile paid tribute to John Prine during an in memoriam segment on the Grammy Awards that featured an especially long list of names after a year of the coronavirus pandemic
The Latest: Harry Styles wins his first Grammy Award
Harry Styles has won his first Grammy, taking for best pop solo performance for “Watermelon Sugar.”
APOnline Celebrity News
Oscars surprises, snubs include Glenn Close, ‘Da 5 Bloods’
11:46AM ( 13 minutes ago )
The Latest: Germany suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine
11:43AM ( 16 minutes ago )
Germany, France suspend use of AstraZeneca vaccine
11:35AM ( 24 minutes ago )
Stocks mixed as investors eye bond market; tech shares rise
Stocks were mixed in morning trading on Monday as Wall Street eyes the bond market, where yields pulled back a bit after Friday’s sharp increase
11:32AM ( 27 minutes ago )
Germany suspends AstraZeneca vaccine amid clotting concerns
The German government says it is suspending use of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine over fresh reports of  dangerous blood clots in connection with the shot
11:31AM ( 28 minutes ago )