LEESBURG, Ga. (AP) — Two young men are being credited with saving a woman who was sleeping when a fire broke out in her southwest Georgia home.
Satarius Monson tells WALB-TV she was sleeping in her Leesburg home when food that was cooking on her stove caught fire.
Monson said her smoke detector apparently didn't go off.
Her nephew Calvorious Armstrong and his friend Malik Brackins were outside when they saw smoke. They kicked in the door of the duplex and woke Monson up. However, the fire was too intense for her to put out.
By the time Lee County firefighters arrived, flames were blackening the door and window of the brick duplex.
”I lost everything... when I came out of the house... I love my plants, I have a lot of plants. I said ‘oh my God my flowers!’ Then I saw my pictures, then I could hear everything breaking. I have a lot of mirrors, and I could just hear everything cracking,” said Monson
Monson said her mother called the American Red Cross and they came before the fire trucks left, and gave her some vouchers for hotel rooms.