clearn.png
Monday November 29th, 2021 5:52AM

Georgia singer: ‘The Voice’ auditions ‘confirmed my dreams’

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — Many children hear their parents sing, but newborn baby Israel Hambrick of Augusta is one of very few who will be able to say that his first time hearing his father sing was at the final audition for one of America’s biggest singing competitions.

Though he may not know it now, Israel was a witness to his father, Tony Aaron Hambrick, competing for a spot on this year’s season of the hit TV show “The Voice.”

“Although he may not remember, just to know that the first time you heard your father sing was on NBC, was standing at Universal Studios in Burbank, CA, Hollywood, CA, singing for John Legend, Ariana Grande, Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton,” Hambrick gushed, “I think that is totally cool.”

The 31-year-old vocalist is a life-long Augusta native. He first started singing at his family’s church Live River Baptist Church off Tobacco Road where his mother sang as one of the choir’s soloists.

“Between going to choir rehearsal every Thursday, doing homework in the pews, listening to the choir sing and listening to my mom sing and listening to my other church members sing, I grew a love and a passion for singing,” Hambrick said.

His parents invested in that passion, and after years of classes and practicing, he now leads the chorale program at Jessye NormanSchool of the Arts, serves as the worship leader at his church, teaches music at North Augusta Middle School and performs gigs on the weekend. And Hambrick’s musical talents would give him an even bigger opportunity.

“I was at my job one day, and I was scrolling on Instagram and along comes a sponsored post by NBC for an open casting call, and I don’t know what it was, but I was like ‘Why not?’” he asked.

That question and a few preliminary interviews later, Hambrick got a call from a California number, and the voice of an executive producer said “We want to welcome you to Hollywood.” What was his response?

“My first words were ‘Stop playing on my phone!’ That’s what I told a producer of NBC!” Hambrick recalled with a burst of laughter. “He was like ‘No, no, no, Tony. I’m so serious. Welcome to Hollywood,’ and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed. I just couldn’t stop. That was my reaction. I couldn’t believe it happened.”

But as happy as he was, when he told his wife Sharla the big news, he said he had decided to not go through with it since Sharla was still pregnant with Israel at the time, and she would be giving birth within the next few weeks. But Sharla was not having it.

“She was like ‘You would be crazy to turn this opportunity down,’” Hambrick said.

“This is something he always strived for,” Sharla said. “This is one of his goals, and he always said he wanted to be on a bigger platform, and I’m just like ‘Just because we’re about to have a baby and I’m pregnant, you’re not gonna miss this opportunity.’”

Hambrick took the chance and flew to California just one week after Israel was born. Sharla, her new son, and Hambrick’s mother watched him sing Justin Bieber’s “Anyone” for the judges. Hambrick admitted that he was nervous during the performance, and the judges noticed it in parts of his singing, leading them to not offering him a spot in the competition. But they did leave him with some other critiques that served as a driving force.

He said that Grande “loved my voice, she loves my falsetto,” that Legend said “‘You’re gonna have a successful career,’” and that Shelton said “‘Listen, we definitely want you to come back.’”

Hambrick was disappointed that he did not advance, and as the last episode of the blind auditions ended Oct. 5, he was disappointed that he had not appeared on one of the episodes. However, he did appear on some TV promos for the show ahead of time, which excited him and his loved ones. Hambrick himself was happily cheering on his new friends during Tuesday’s broadcast as they headed into the next phase of the competition.

“Knowing their story, getting to know them over the time that we were together in California and we, of course, spent a lot of time together, so we got to know each other pretty well, very quickly,” Hambrick said. “So, seeing them on the screen, seeing friends, seeing family perform, why wouldn’t I be excited?”

But whether or not Hambrick tries out for the show again, which he has not yet decided on one way or another, this experience gave him something he was sorely in need of.

“I needed confirmation,” he said. “There have been times that I have questioned my own talent and my own ability...(This experience) confirms my dreams and desires. They don’t just have to be dreams and desires, but it can be reality, only thing I have to do is put in the work... I may not be a world superstar today, but it doesn’t mean that I won’t be tomorrow.”

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, AP Online TV News, AP Online Recordings News, AP Online - Georgia News
© Copyright 2021 AccessWDUN.com
Iowa's GOP leaders stand by Trump as he repeats false claims
Republican Sen. Charles Grassley and Gov. Kim Reynolds have embraced Donald Trump’s return to Iowa
Doerer makes late FG, No. 14 Irish beat Hokies 32-29
Jonathan Doerer kicked a 48-yard field goal with 17 seconds remaining, capping a dramatic rally to give No. 14 Notre Dame a 32-29 victory over Virginia Tech on Saturday night
California law requires gender-neutral area in some stores
California is the first state to require large department stores to display products like toys and toothbrushes in gender-neutral ways
Chopin portrait bought at flea market is from 19th century
A peeling portrait of Polish piano composer Frederic Chopin purchased at a flea market hung modestly in a private house in Poland for almost three decades before an expert dated the painting to the 19th century
2 parents convicted in 1st trial of college bribery scandal
Two wealthy parents have been convicted of buying their kids’ way into school as athletic recruits
Broadcaster Kaat apologizes for "40-acre" comment
MLB Network broadcaster Jim Kaat has apologized during an AL Division Series game between the Astros and White Sox after saying teams should try to “get a 40-acre field full of” players who look like Chicago infielder Yoán Moncada
AP Entertainment
Ratings surge: NFL is up 17%, averaging 17.3 million viewers
NFL and network executives expected ratings to increase this season
Koepka, DeChambeau to face off in made-for-TV match in Vegas
Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka are finally getting their day in the sun
Brady's return leads NBC to strong Sunday football ratings
Tom Brady wins in the television ratings, too
AP Online TV News
Ruth Bader Ginsburg tribute required innovative donations
The upcoming world premiere at the Dallas Symphony Orchestra of a new classical music piece inspired by the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg would probably not have been possible if it wasn’t for a bunch of lawyers in the Chicago area, a Long Island fine arts foundation and an award-winning pianist and composer who put the whole deal together
City seeks festival's return, Pharrell cites 'toxic energy'
Virginia Beach leaders want Pharrell Williams to reconsider bringing the Something in the Water festival back next year, but the musician responded that he wishes the city had taken a more proactive stance after a police officer fatally shot his cousin
BTS campaign with UN nets millions of dollars -- and tweets
K-pop superstars BTS have raised $3.6 million and generated millions of tweets during four years of teaming up with the U.N. children’s agency to fight violence, abuse and bullying and promote self-esteem in young people
AP Online Recordings News
Bennett, No. 2 Georgia romp over No. 18 Auburn 34-10
Stetson Bennett passed for 231 yards and two touchdowns and led No. 2 Georgia past No. 18 Auburn for the second straight year in a 34-10 victory Saturday
Sanders' late TD catch helps Georgia Tech beat Duke 31-27
Adonicas Sanders caught a 36-yard touchdown throw from Jeff Sims with 51 seconds left to help Georgia Tech rally past Duke 31-27 on Saturday
With Ridley out, Jets defense preps for Falcons rookie Pitts
Atlanta Falcons rookie Kyle Pitts is looking for his first touchdown, and the New York Jets want to keep it that way
AP Online - Georgia News
Iowa's GOP leaders stand by Trump as he repeats false claims
Doerer makes late FG, No. 14 Irish beat Hokies 32-29
California law requires gender-neutral area in some stores
Army general who commanded in Iraq dies of cancer at age 67
The family of Raymond T
Fried sharp, Braves blank Brewers 3-0 to tie NLDS at 1-all
Max Fried pitched six sharp innings and Atlanta’s bullpen held on after manager Brian Snitker’s quick hook, sending the Braves over the Milwaukee Brewers 3-0 to tie their NL Division Series at a game apiece