sunny.png
Sunday September 20th, 2020 9:05AM

American apologizes in Italy court for taking officer's life

ROME (AP) — A 20-year-old California man charged with murdering an Italian police officer apologized in court Wednesday, saying he was “filled with remorse” and hoped one day the slain man’s family would forgive him.

Finnegan Lee Elder, who has been on trial in Rome since February along with a fellow American, asked the court for permission to make a spontaneous statement that, he said, he finally had summoned the courage to give.

Elder said the night of July 26, 2019, when Vice Brigadier Mario Cerciello was fatally stabbed on a Rome street, was the worst of his life “because I took a man’s life, I took a husband away from his wife, I broke a bond between brothers and I took a son away from his mother.”

“I’ll never be able to forgive myself for this, and I don’t expect Mr. Mario Cerciello’s family to ever forgive me, although I truly hope one day they will,” he said.

Elder and his friend, Gabriel Natale-Hjorth, 19, were visiting Italy as tourists when Cerciello and another plainclothes carabinieri officer approached them on the street after the young men were involved in a botched drug deal.

Prosecutors alleged that in the ensuing scuffle, Elder stabbed Cerciello 11 times and that Natale-Hjorth hid the murder weapon, a military-style attack knife that Elder allegedly brought in a suitcase from the United States.

The defense has insisted the Americans didn’t realize the two Italians were police officers, didn’t see any badges and thought the men who approached them were criminal thugs.

Elder, who wore a mask as he entered the courtroom, said he had been struggling ever since that night, but was able to reflect on what happened while in prison. He recalled his mother wrote to Cerciello's family months ago, expressing his anguish and desire to apologize.

“But I didn’t have the courage to write or speak out” until Wednesday, Elder said.

“I understand that maybe it’s impossible to gain forgiveness from someone who lost a loved one, but I wanted to be honest that my desire is sincere,” he said. “All I can say is that I’m filled with remorse and it pains me to think of the suffering I’ve caused.”

Cerciello, who was killed soon after returning from his honeymoon, was hailed as a national hero at his funeral.

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP World News
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
US outlines sweeping plan to provide free COVID-19 vaccines
The federal government is outlining a sweeping plan to make COVID-19 vaccines available for free to all Americans
The Latest: Coast Guard helicopters flying over Gulf Coast
The U.S. Coast Guard has sent helicopters flying over the Gulf Coast to check for anyone in distress as Hurricane Sally pummels the region with wind and rain
High-tech UK-US ship launched on 400th Mayflower anniversary
With a splash of Plymouth gin, the U.S. ambassador to Britain has officially launched a ship called Mayflower, 400 years to the day after a wooden vessel with the same name sailed from an English port and changed the history of two continents
American apologizes in Italy court for taking officer's life
A 20-year-old California man accused of murdering an Italian police officer has apologized in a Rome court for taking a man's life
UK to ration COVID-19 testing amid testing failures
U.K. lawmakers have criticized the government’s handling of the COVID-19 testing crisis for a second day as opposition leaders say Prime Minister Boris Johnson lacked a cohesive plan to tackle the virus as the country faces a second wave in the pandemic
Yoshihide Suga named Japan's prime minister, succeeding Abe
Japan’s Parliament has elected Yoshihide Suga as prime minister, replacing long-serving leader Shinzo Abe with his right-hand man
AP World News
US outlines sweeping plan to provide free COVID-19 vaccines
The Latest: Coast Guard helicopters flying over Gulf Coast
High-tech UK-US ship launched on 400th Mayflower anniversary
Former IAAF head Lamine Diack sentenced to 2 years in prison
Former track federation president Lamine Diack has been sentenced to two years in prison for his role in a scheme that allowed Russian athletes who paid hush money to keep competing when they should have been suspended for doping
Djokovic behaves better in 1st match since US Open default
Novak Djokovic behaved better in his first match since being defaulted from the U.S. Open