rainn.png
Saturday October 24th, 2020 10:19PM

Browns' Hunt 'blessed' for another chance after traffic stop

CLEVELAND (AP) — Kareem Hunt knows he's run out of second chances.

“I've got to do better,” he said.

Scared he jeopardized his NFL career when police found a small amount of marijuana in the Browns running back's car during a traffic stop, Hunt, who served an eight-game league suspension last season for two physical altercations while with Kansas City, said Monday that he's grateful the Browns have stood by him.

"I’m blessed that the Browns gave me another opportunity,” Hunt said on a Zoom conference call. “So, yes, I’m lucky to have another opportunity to play football. You never know. Honestly, I’m just blessed to play the game, so I’ll always feel lucky to play football.

"I know any second it can be gone.”

When he was pulled over in January, Hunt told a Rocky River Police officer that the incident could ruin him if it became public. During a search, police also found an open container of vodka in a backpack on the back seat.

Hunt was only cited for speeding, but he admitted to the officer he would have failed a league drug test at the time.

Days later, Hunt received a strong reprimand from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, who said the actions “were not acceptable.” The team also pledged to keep working with the 24-year-old, who had been disciplined by Commissioner Roger Goodell for shoving and kicking a woman during an argument in a hotel hallway while he played for the Chiefs.

The Browns signed the Cleveland-area native before last season and Hunt stayed clear of trouble while also undergoing counseling.

He said the misstep this off-season was inexcusable.

“I would say that was out of character,” he said. "I learned from it, I’ve been working to become a better person each and every day. Definitely not looking for anything like that to happen again. I’ve been working. Now I’m just focused on football, working out and getting ready for this season.

“I’ve got to do better. Shouldn’t have done it. Ready to move on from that and focus on football.”

The Browns are counting on it.

They see Hunt as a valuable and versatile piece to their offense. Hunt has been “cross-training” during the club's virtual off-season program, attending meetings with both the running backs and wide receivers as he learns new coach Kevin Stefanski's offense.

But his top priority is acting more professionally off the field, and Hunt said Stefanski and Andrew Berry, the club's executive vice president of football operations, have made it clear to him that they won't tolerate bad behavior.

“I've got to be smarter and cannot be doing stuff like that,” Hunt said. “We had a good talk. They see me on the field as a guy who is going to make some plays this year and help the team win. That is what I have been looking forward to. We have been talking. I keep in touch with coach all the time about what he wants to see.”

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Hunt said he's been working out and “staying low key.”

“I have been pretty much hanging with the family,” he said. "Talking to my close people, going out there working, doing stuff in the community, helping people out. It has been a crazy time in the world. Everybody has to try to be the best person they can be right now.”

The Browns, who are looking to bounce back after falling far short of expectations in 2019, signed Hunt to a one-year tender in March. They see him as a perfect complement to star running back Nick Chubb, and Hunt would like nothing more than to earn a long-term contract with Cleveland.

“I think we can do something special here,” he said. "I want to get that Super Bowl feeling and I believe we can do it here in my hometown. That would be bigger than anything, for me. I would definitely like to be a part of something like this. Everybody is here I care about. I know everybody in the whole town. I would not mind playing for the Browns for a long time.”

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Football, AP Business, AP Sports - NFL
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
New this week: 'Clemency,' BET Awards, HAIM, 'Doctor Sleep'
This week’s new entertainment releases include Alfre Woodard giving a career performance as death row prison warden in “Clemency” on Hulu and a new album from sister trio HAIM
English town mourns victims of suspected terror attack
The English town of Reading is mourning for three people stabbed to death in what is being treated as a terror attack
Browns' Hunt 'blessed' for another chance after traffic stop
Browns running back Kareem Hunt knows he's out of second chances
FBI investigating noose left in NASCAR stall of Black driver
The FBI is investigating the discovery of a noose found in the Talladega Superspeedway garage stall of Bubba Wallace and the governor of Alabama has condemned the act against NASCAR’s only Black full-time driver
The Latest: WHO: Virus surge due to peak in big countries
The World Health Organization says the record levels of new daily COVID-19 cases are due to the fact that the pandemic is peaking in a number of big countries at the same time and reflect a change in the virus’ global activityAt a media briefing on Monday, WHO’s emergencies chief Dr_ Michael Ryan said that “the numbers are increasing because the epidemic is developing in a number of populous countries at the same time.”
Veteran NHL forward Chris Thorburn announces retirement
Veteran forward Chris Thorburn has announced his retirement after playing more than 800 NHL games since 2005
The ESPYS focus on honors, pandemic and racial justice
This was a different version of The ESPYS
The Latest: NFLPA advises halt to private workouts together
The medical director of the NFL players’ union has recommended that all players stop private workouts together
The Latest: Brazilian mayor suspends pro soccer matches
Only three days after professional soccer resumed in South America amid the coronavirus pandemic, Rio de Janeiro Mayor Marcelo Crivella has suspended all matches in the city
AP Online Football
Turkish lawyers stage sit-in protest near capital
The heads of several Turkish lawyers’ associations are holding a sit-in demonstration after police blocked the group from marching to the capital, Ankara
Stock indexes move higher on Wall Street after a shaky start
Technology companies are helping drive stocks higher on Wall Street after a choppy start Monday as investors weigh the risks that rising coronavirus cases could pose to hopes for an economic recovery
Tariffs hit American whiskey producers hard in Europe
A new report says American whiskey distillers have watched more than $300 million in export revenues evaporate since a trade dispute broke out between the U.S. and European Union
AP Business
The Latest: Kaepernick to fund legal aid for protesters
Former NFL star and civil rights activist Colin Kaepernick is helping to fund the cost of legal representation for some protesters who were arrested during demonstrations in the days after George Floyd’s death
Twins remove ex-owner Griffith statue over racist remarks
The Minnesota Twins have removed a statue of former owner Calvin Griffith at Target Field, citing racist remarks he made in 1978
5 Things to Know for Today
Here are a few things to know about the day’s news from The Associated Press
6:16AM ( 3 days ago )
AP Sports - NFL
English town mourns victims of suspected terror attack
In Minneapolis, talk of changing PD means taking on union
Talk of changing the Minneapolis Police Department is everywhere in the wake of George Floyd's death after an encounter with four officers
Retired pope back at Vatican after German visit to brother
Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI has returned to the Vatican after a four-day visit to his ailing elder brother in their native Germany
Trump rally highlights vulnerabilities heading into election
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany is defending President Donald Trump's use of the term “kung flu” to describe the coronavirus
Surging US virus cases raise fear that progress is slipping
Coronavirus cases in Florida surpassed 100,000 on Monday, part of an alarming surge across the U.S. West and South as states reopen for business and many Americans resist wearing masks or keeping their distance