sunny.png
Friday July 10th, 2020 6:21PM

Starbucks takes $3 billion hit to revenue during pandemic

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

Starbucks expects to lose more than $3 billion in revenue in its fiscal third quarter due to the new coronavirus, but said the disruption to its business should subside through the rest of the year.

“The Starbucks brand is resilient, customer affinity is strong and we believe the most difficult period is now behind us," Starbucks President and CEO Kevin Johnson said in an open letter.

The Seattle-based coffee giant said in a regulatory filing Wednesday that the virus outbreak will also slash its operating income between $2 billion and $2.2. billion for the quarter, which ends June 28. Starbucks plans to report its third quarter results on July 28.

Starbucks was forced to close its stores to customers at the height of the pandemic but continued to operate drive thru and pickup in many locations. The Seattle company said 95% of its 8,000 U.S. company-run stores are now open with varying levels of service, just slightly lower than operations globally.

Starbucks said U.S. same-store sales, or sales at locations open at least a year, improved for six consecutive weeks through the end of May. They fell by 32% the last week in May, compared to a 65% decline at the pandemic's height in mid-April. The company says it expects a 10% to 20% decline in U.S. same-store sales for its full fiscal year, which ends Sept. 27.

In China, where the pandemic hit first, same-store sales were down 14% at the end of May. That compares to a 78% decline in February. Starbucks said most stores in China have returned to pre-pandemic operating hours and 70% are now offering full cafe seating.

Starbucks provided a preliminary estimate for a third-quarter adjusted loss of about 55 cents to 70 cents per share. Analysts polled by FactSet predict a loss of 16 cents per share.

For the fourth quarter, Starbucks said it anticipates earnings of 15 cents to 40 cents per share. Analysts were predicting earnings of 38 cents per share.

With many workers still at home and customer traffic patterns shifting, Starbucks said it's accelerating a plan to build smaller, pickup-only locations in major U.S. cities. It's also retrofitting some cafes to better accommodate mobile pickup and delivery orders.

Starbucks opened two pickup locations in New York and Toronto over the last seven months. It had planned to open more over a three- to five-year time period, but has pushed that timetable to the next 18 months. Starbucks said 80% of U.S. Starbucks transactions even before the pandemic were to-go orders.

Shares fell 5% to $78.55 in morning trading.

  • Associated Categories: Local/State News, Associated Press (AP), AP Business, AP Business - Corporate News
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
CrossFit founder quits after backlash to George Floyd tweet
The founder and CEO of CrossFit is stepping down after his tweet about George Floyd sparked a social media backlash and a wave of affiliated gyms cut ties with the company
9:42AM ( 14 minutes ago )
HBO Max removes 'Gone With the Wind,' will add context
HBO Max has temporarily removed “Gone With the Wind” from its streaming library in order to add historical context to the 1939 film long criticized for romanticizing slavery and the Civil War-era South
9:40AM ( 15 minutes ago )
The Latest: US expert Fauci calls WHO comments 'not correct'
The U_S_ government’s top infectious-disease expert says the World Health Organization had to backtrack on its statement about asymptomatic spread of the coronavirus being rare because that simply “was not correct.”
9:35AM ( 20 minutes ago )
Associated Press (AP)
May consumer prices fall 0.1%, the third consecutive month
U.S. consumer prices dropped in May for the third straight month as the coronavirus pandemic pushed the American economy into a recession
8:55AM ( 1 hour ago )
The Latest: Indonesians detained for taking dead for burial
Indonesian authorities have arrested dozens of people suspected of snatching the bodies of COVID-19 victims from several hospitals so the dead could be buried according to their wishes
8:53AM ( 1 hour ago )
EU wants tech giants to report monthly on virus fake news
A senior European Union official is demanding that tech firms like Google and Facebook provide detailed monthly reports on how they're tackling fake news linked to the coronavirus
8:44AM ( 1 hour ago )
AP Business
CrossFit founder quits after backlash to George Floyd tweet
The founder and CEO of CrossFit is stepping down after his tweet about George Floyd sparked a social media backlash and a wave of affiliated gyms cut ties with the company
9:42AM ( 14 minutes ago )
HBO Max removes 'Gone With the Wind,' will add context
HBO Max has temporarily removed “Gone With the Wind” from its streaming library in order to add historical context to the 1939 film long criticized for romanticizing slavery and the Civil War-era South
9:40AM ( 15 minutes ago )
The Latest: US expert Fauci calls WHO comments 'not correct'
The U_S_ government’s top infectious-disease expert says the World Health Organization had to backtrack on its statement about asymptomatic spread of the coronavirus being rare because that simply “was not correct.”
9:35AM ( 20 minutes ago )
MLS to resume season with Fla. tournament starting July 8
Major League Soccer is set to resume its season with a tournament starting July 8 in Florida
9:33AM ( 22 minutes ago )
2 kids vanish, case transfixes the world. Now, a grim turn
Relatives were suspicious and then police got involved after 7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and his 17-year-old sister Tylee Ryan hadn’t been seen in far too long
9:25AM ( 30 minutes ago )