Saturday July 4th, 2020 6:00AM

Marc Maron mourns partner Lynn Shelton in emotional podcast

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Marc Maron’s voice quivered from the first words he uttered. Just days after the sudden death of his partner Lynn Shelton, Maron spoke candidly Monday to his vast podcast audience about his grief.

“I don’t even know if I should be out in public talking,” Maron said. “But this is what I do and this is where I’m at and there’s no right or wrong with grief.”

Shelton, the beloved director of humane and poignant independent films like “Laggies” and “Your Sister’s Sister,” died early Saturday morning at age 54.

“She was my partner. She was my girlfriend. She was my friend and I loved her. I loved her a lot. And she loved me and I knew that,” Maron said. “We were happy.”

The actor-comedian talked on a previous episode about Shelton being sick and testing negative for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. He said they thought it was strep throat, but when her fever hadn’t subsided, they planned to go in for more tests Friday. Before they could do that, however, she collapsed early Friday morning. Maron said the last time he saw her alive was when the emergency responders took her away.

“Then over the course of the day there was never any good news,” he said.

The episode begins and ends with Maron’s reflections on Shelton. But the bulk of it is a re-broadcast of his August 2015 interview with her, which has the poignant distinction of being the first time they met.

“She was married. I was with somebody. But at this point, when I had this conversation, it was undeniable that we connected,” he said.

Shelton and Maron went on to collaborate frequently and in the past year became a couple. She directed him in episodes of “Maron” and “GLOW,” two of his comedy specials (“Marc Maron: Too Real” and “Marc Maron: End Time Fun”) and the 2019 feature “Sword of Trust.” They were working on a script together too — a “domestic dramedy” that they’d been tinkering with for years.

“We really right now just have to write the second part of the last act,” he said in an interview with IndieWire published last week. “We’re close, but I can’t explain to you the resentment and contempt I have for this thing hanging over my head.”

The two were quarantining together in Los Angeles, writing and watching movies.

Maron was effusive on his podcast about her work (“a determined artist who just needed to put her expression out in the world”) her innate charisma, her effect on people (“no one’s got anything bad to say about Lynn Shelton”) and her effect on him (“I was definitely a better person when I was engaged with her”).

“If there’s anything she taught me, really, is that people do love me, she loved me, and there’s nothing I can do about that,” he said.

The admiration went both ways. Just last year, Shelton told The Associated Press that Maron was, “one of the most natural actors” she knew. His turn in “Sword of Trust,” she said, was one of her “favorite performances by anyone in anything.”

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, APOnline Celebrity News
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
Democrats: Fired watchdog was looking into Saudi arms sale
Congressional Democrats say the State Department inspector general whom President Donald Trump fired last week was investigating possible impropriety in a massive arms sale to Saudi Arabia last year
Who got what? Details scant on small-business relief effort
A small, overlooked federal agency is shouldering a massive relief effort for the nation’s small businesses and their workers punched by the pandemic
Marc Maron mourns partner Lynn Shelton in emotional podcast
Marc Maron has mourned the sudden death of his partner and frequent collaborator Lynn Shelton in a new episode of his podcast Monday
Video app TikTok names top Disney streaming exec as new CEO
TikTok, the popular short-video app that has also drawn national-security and privacy concerns, named a new high-profile CEO from Disney, Kevin Mayer
Ken Osmond, Eddie Haskell on 'Leave It to Beaver,' dies
Ken Osmond, who played the two-faced teenage scoundrel Eddie Haskell on TV’s “Leave it to Beaver,” has died
Film shows nightmare of an emergency room in Italy
A PBS ‘Frontline’ film gives an intensely personal view of what it's like to go through the coronavirus crisis, through the eyes of an emergency room doctor in northern Italy
AP Entertainment
NFL cornerbacks Baker, Dunbar released from jail on bond
NFL cornerbacks DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar were released from Broward County Jail on Sunday, a day after surrendering on felony charges stemming from a cookout at a Miramar home
Asia Today: India extends lockdown for 2 more weeks
India has extended its nearly 2-month-old lockdown by two weeks after reporting nearly 5,000 coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, but said restrictions could be eased in low-risk areas to boost economic activity
11:40AM ( 1 day ago )
Asia Today: China reopens more schools, revives flights
China is reporting five new cases of the coronavirus, as the commercial hub of Shanghai announced the restart of some classes and airlines revive domestic flights
7:42AM ( 1 day ago )
APOnline Celebrity News
Democrats: Fired watchdog was looking into Saudi arms sale
Who got what? Details scant on small-business relief effort
Feds urge 'extreme caution' for reopening nursing homes
Federal authorities aren’t setting any hard dates for when nursing homes can allow family members to visit again but are urging governors to use “extreme caution” in making that decision
Local leaders resist Mexico president's push for reopening
Local governments across Mexico pushed back against President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s call to reopen the economy in some 300 townships that do not have active cases of coronavirus
US autoworkers return, while possible vaccine shows promise
More than 130,000 autoworkers have  returned to factories across the U.S. in one of the biggest steps yet to restart American industry