fogn.png
Monday February 17th, 2020 11:10PM

A's Kemp chose not to be part of Astros' 2017 sign-stealing

MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Called up in September 2017 by Houston, Tony Kemp immediately got asked by teammates whether he wanted to be a part of the Astros' sign-stealing scheme. His answer was a firm no, and Kemp didn't feel further pressure to do it.

“That stood,” the second baseman said Friday after arriving in Oakland's spring training camp and reuniting with former Astros teammate Mike Fiers, who went public in November about Houston's sign-stealing that rocked the baseball offseason.

“Once I got there in September the system was already in place and I just tried to keep my head down and play hard and not really concern myself with it,” Kemp said.

He said what Houston did was wrong, and when asked whether the ‘17 World Series title is tainted, noted: “That’s a good question, everyone's going to have their own speculations about it, everyone's going to have their own opinions about it. I'm not sure.”

Then-Houston manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were fired on the same day they were suspended over the sign-stealing scheme by Commissioner Rob Manfred last month. Former Astros bench coach and then-Boston manager Alex Cora also was dismissed, then ex-Astros player Carlos Beltrán lost his job as Mets manager.

Kemp said he appreciates the apologies by Astros players, which he considered sincere, and said “you definitely feel for them.”

“I'm not going to say that things that were going on over there were necessarily right. Those things were wrong,” said Kemp, who was acquired by the A's from the Cubs last month. “I think that they're feeling remorse now. You see those guys and how they feel and how they're acting and you can definitely tell that there was some wrongdoing there.”

Kemp planned to speak to his new teammates individually rather than make a statement in front of the group.

“If I was more involved then I think a statement would be the right thing to do, but we're all grown men and I think if you have questions you can come up and ask me and I'll be straightforward with you,” Kemp said. “I think that if teammates have questions and want to come up to me, I'll be more than welcome to answer the questions.”

A's manager Bob Melvin met with Kemp on Friday and agreed with the infielder's approach to getting to know his new teammates, many of whom he faced in the minor leagues. Melvin said the reception might be different had Kemp been a regular player for the Astros in recent years, saying “I think this thing gets closed pretty quickly as far as his time over there in Houston.” Kemp will get regular work at second base this spring.

“He's got a real clear conscience about what happened,” Melvin said. “Most of our guys know him. I think in the position that he's in I don't need to call a meeting and have him talk to everybody. The guys know they can go up to him and talk to him in groups. Everything I heard was all good, move forward with him. We're happy to have him.”

Fiers, a 15-game winner last season who pitched his second career no-hitter, has declined to speak in detail about the Astros situation or his role as whistleblower. He said he approached Kemp on Friday.

“I've always respected Tony, he's always been a good guy," Fiers said. “Always got along with him. Good dude to have on the field and as a teammate.”

Kemp said he chose not to participate in the sign-stealing system because “I was comfortable with the way I was swinging the bat at the time in Triple-A."

“Once I got called up I just felt like I was going to trust my abilities up there,” he said. "I just didn't want any distractions.”

He also didn't have a guess as to how many players were stealing signs because he hadn't been there long.

“In ‘17 that was my choice,” he said. “I had four or five months in the big leagues under my belt at that time and I just felt like at the time that I didn’t want to use it. I'm not going to sit here and say bad things about the people who did, but it is what it is. We move forward and now we're in the same division so now it's going to be fun. It's going to be a healthy competition. I think everyone's looking forward to it.”

Having joined the Oakland club that won 97 games each of the past two seasons to finish second in the AL West behind Houston, Kemp realizes the matchups with the Astros will now have new meaning and might be difficult for Fiers at times.

“I think that leaving Houston and going to a different team I think you have to at least say, ‘Hey, they do some things, you might have to switch your signs up or you might need to do something,'" Kemp said. “For Fiers, it's a tough situation to be in because you have teammates in Houston but you also have new teammates. It's a sticky situation.”

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Baseball , AP Sports - Major League Baseball
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
Virus cases rise as experts question China's numbers
 A Chinese health official says more than 1,700 medical workers have been infected by the new virus and six have died
2:17PM ( 52 seconds ago )
A's Kemp chose not to be part of Astros' 2017 sign-stealing
New Oakland infielder Tony Kemp got called up by Houston in September 2017 and says he was asked whether he wanted to be part of the Astros' sign-stealing system
Jimmy Hoffa associate who was suspect in disappearance dies
Charles “Chuckie” O'Brien, a longtime associate of Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa who became a leading suspect in Hoffa's disappearance, has died
Blues' Bouwmeester has implant to help regulate heart rhythm
The St. Louis Blues say Jay Bouwmeester had surgery Friday to insert a defibrillator to restore his heart's normal rhythm
Ex-coach: `No recollection' of discussion about Nassar abuse
A former Michigan State University gymnastics coach says she has “no recollection” of a conversation in which two teen athletes allegedly told her of sexual abuse by sports doctor Larry Nassar in 1997, nearly 20 years before he was charged
Indians starter Mike Clevinger to have left knee surgery
The Indians have already suffered a blow in spring training
10 Things to Know for Today
Get ready for Friday, Feb. 14 with a few things to know about the day’s news from The Associated Press
Sticking to script: Bregman, Astros discuss sign stealing
Alex Bregman and other members of the Houston Astros have spoken at spring training about the sign-stealing scheme they used during their 2017 run to a World Series title and again the next season
Cole starts Yankees tenure with questions about Astros
On the day of his first formal workout with the New York Yankees, Gerrit Cole talked about what he did and did not know about the Houston Astros
AP Online Baseball
Blue Jays' Reese McGuire charged with indecency in Florida
Toronto Blue Jays catcher Reese McGuire is facing an indecent exposure charge in Florida
Angels' Stassi apologizes for Astros' sign-stealing scheme
Max Stassi says he wishes he had done “the right thing” when he learned about the Houston Astros' sign-stealing scheme late in their World Series championship season in 2017
Sanchez, Boone not sure there was no sign stealing in 2019
Yankees catcher Gary Sánchez and manager Aaron Boone are both not sure that the Houston Astros did not continue illegally stealing signs in last year's AL championship series
AP Sports - Major League Baseball
Virus cases rise as experts question China's numbers
2:17PM ( 54 seconds ago )
Jimmy Hoffa associate who was suspect in disappearance dies
Goodrich: Jordan won fairly in 1988, judges not in cahoots
More than three decades later, some details of the classic slam dunk contest showdown between Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins are a bit fuzzy to Hall of Famer Gail Goodrich
Jordan, Wilkins reflect on memorable '88 dunk contest battle
Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins have never talked to one another about the 1988 dunk contest
Maeda questions whether Astros' sign stealing hurt Darvish
Kenta Maeda wonders whether the Astros’ sign stealing affected the performance of teammate Yu Darvish during the Los Angeles Dodgers' 2017 World Series loss to Houston