fog.png
Monday November 18th, 2019 9:54AM

Shibuno holds off Salas to win Women's British Open on debut

MILTON KEYNES, England (AP) — Hinako Shibuno of Japan finished with a birdie to win the Women's British Open by one shot over Lizette Salas on Sunday as she wrapped up a stunning major championship debut.

The 20-year-old Shibuno, a rookie on the Japan LPGA Tour who was playing for the first time outside of her country, birdied five of the final nine holes in a 4-under 68 and 18-under 270 overall.

"I was also thinking about if I were to make this putt, how I was going to celebrate," Shibuno said of approaching the 18th. "Eat a lot of sweets."

Largely unknown before the championship, Shibuno — nicknamed "Smiling Cinderella" — started Sunday with a two-stroke lead but lost it with a double bogey on the par-4 3rd. She bounced back with birdies on Nos. 5 and 7 before a bogey on the 8th at Woburn Golf Club.

But in three of four rounds, Shibuno has shone on the back nine. She did it in 31 on Sunday — and just 30 on Thursday and Saturday.

"Now that I've won, I think a lot of the Japanese people will know me, but in actuality, I just wanted to live a quiet life," Shibuno said.

"I was looking online and I did see that it's been 42 years since a Japanese player has last won. I do feel that I have accomplished something great, but I really don't know the reason why I was able to accomplish it."

Salas, who started the final round tied for fourth, quickly played herself into contention with three birdies in the first four holes, and she added five more in a 7-under 65.

But the American will regret not taking another birdie chance on the 18th when she shared the lead with Shibuno.

"I told myself, 'You got this. You're made for this.' I put a good stroke on it. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous," Salas said after her best finish at a major. "You know, I haven't been in that position in a long time. Gave it a good stroke. I controlled all my thoughts. It just didn't drop."

Jin Young Ko, who was seeking her third major title of the year after winning the Evian Championship last week, was two shots back in third after a bogey-free 66.

"I had a little pressure, but I like that pressure," Ko said.

Morgan Pressel (67) finished fourth at 15 under, just ahead of former leader Ashleigh Buhai (70), whose hopes were dented Saturday when she let a five-shot lead slip. The 30-year-old South African finished fifth at 14 under.

"If you had given me a top five at the beginning of the week, I most certainly would have taken it," Buhai said.

Also, Celine Boutier shot a 66 to finish the tournament at 12 under, followed by Carlota Ciganda (70) at 11 under and second-ranked Sung Hyun Park (73) at 10 under.

American Nelly Korda (68) tied for ninth with Jeongeun Lee6 (71) at 9 under, two shots ahead of Lexi Thompson (67).

Defending champion Georgia Hall (73) tied for 35th.

More AP golf: https://apnews.com/apf-Golf and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Sports - Women's Golf
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
2 mass shootings in less than 24 hours shock US
Two mass shootings at crowded public places in Texas, and Ohio in less than 24 hours have claimed at least 29 lives and left scores injured, a shocking carnage even in a country accustomed to gun violence
Shibuno holds off Salas to win Women's British Open on debut
Hinako Shibuno of Japan finished with a birdie to win the Women's British Open by one shot over Lizette Salas as she wrapped up a stunning major championship debut
Attack on Texas shoppers to be handled as domestic terrorism
The shooting that killed 20 people at a crowded El Paso shopping area will be handled as a domestic terrorism case
Shooting victims include a mom who died protecting her baby
Jordan Anchondo was among those killed in El Paso, Anchondo's sister said, and she apparently died while protecting her 2-month-old son from the hail of bullets
The Latest: Couple shot were raising money for baseball team
A man and woman injured when a gunman opened fire in an El Paso, Texas, shopping area were there to raise money for their 5-year-old son's baseball team
Predatory Hamilton hunts down Verstappen to win Hungarian GP
Lewis Hamilton is more used to other drivers chasing him but he turned predator to successfully hunt down Max Verstappen and win the Hungarian Grand Prix
Shibuno grabs lead at Women's British Open on dream debut
Hinako Shibuno's dream debut continued Saturday in the Women's British Open when she shot a 5-under 67 to take a two-stroke lead into the final round
An takes 1-stroke lead at Wyndham; Svensson shoots 61
Byeong Hun An shot a 5-under 65 for a one-stroke lead through two rounds at the Wyndham Championship
Buhai stretches lead to 3 shots at Women's British Open
Ashleigh Buhai stretched her surprise lead at the Women's British Open to three shots, shooting a bogey-free 5-under 67 in the second round
AP Online Golf
Jin Young Ko wins at Evian for 2nd major title of season
Jin Young Ko clinched her second major title of the season, firing a 4-under 67 to win the Evian Championship by two shots with a 15-under total of 269 on a rainy Sunday
Evian in a heat wave starts back-to-back women's golf majors
The Evian Championship begins back-to-back major championships in women's golf for the first time in six decades
12:19PM ( 1 week ago )
Clanton, Suwannapura win LPGA Tour team event
Cydney Clanton and Jasmine Suwannapura ran away with the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational, shooting an 11-under 59 in best-ball play for a six-stroke victory
5:02PM ( 2 weeks ago )
AP Sports - Women's Golf
2 mass shootings in less than 24 hours shock US
Attack on Texas shoppers to be handled as domestic terrorism
Labor union, airport avert midnight London Heathrow strike
Heathrow Airport officials and labor union leaders averted the start of a two-day strike by workers at Europe's busiest airport, agreeing Sunday to keep on talking with a mediator's help for at least another day
The Latest: Neighbors recall Ohio shooter being 'good kid'
Neighbors and classmates of the Dayton shooter were surprised that he was at the center of a mass shooting that killed nine people and injured dozens
Report: Iran seizes tanker carrying 'smuggled fuel' in Gulf
Iranian media say Revolutionary Guard has seized an oil tanker carrying 700,000 liters of 'smuggled fuel' in the Persian Gulf, 3rd ship seized by Iran in recent weeks