clearn.png
Sunday May 26th, 2019 1:36AM

Beltré missing baseball less than he thought after 21 years

DALLAS (AP) — Adrián Beltré was afraid of how he was going to feel after announcing his retirement last November, a decision the former third baseman had pretty much reached privately a few months earlier during the season.

While at peace after 21 MLB seasons and 3,166 hits, Beltré still wasn't sure what to expect when the Texas Rangers went to spring training, or when they opened this season without him.

"I thought I was going to miss it more, but I'm good," Beltre said Wednesday. "So far it's been good, so hopefully stays that way."

Beltre's appearance at the SMU Athletic Forum came about 3½ weeks before he will be back in Texas when the Rangers retire his No. 29 jersey on June 8.

"I've seen the guys play, and talked to the guys and every game I see, I don't feel like I wish I could be there," said Beltré, who passed a big test during spring training when he visited the Rangers' complex when his 12-year-old son was playing a baseball tournament in Arizona. "I miss the guys, hanging around the guys. ... Beyond that, I don't think that I'm missing the game that much."

The Dominican-born Beltré, the career hits leader for foreign-born players , turned 40 last month. Many of his former teammates were able to celebrate his birthday with him at his California home, since the Rangers' first road trip was against the Los Angeles Angels.

While the Rangers are about one-fourth of the way through their 162-game season, Beltré spends his days with his family, transporting his three kids to school and their various activities.

"Retirement is nice, but getting a little busy, too," he said.

Beltré spent the last eight seasons of his Hall of Fame-caliber career with the Rangers. The four-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner went to his only World Series in 2011, his first season in Texas, and joined the 3,000-hit club in a Rangers home game two years ago.

He hit a Texas-high .273 with 15 homers and 65 RBIs in 119 games last season, but was on the disabled list twice because of a strained left hamstring. Calf and hamstring issues in 2017 limited him to 94 games, his fewest since 77 as a 19-year-old rookie with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

When he was hurt last season, Beltré said he pretty much decided it was time to retire. But he never publicly revealed what he was thinking, not even to his immediate family, and allowed himself a chance to mentally prepare that his playing career was going to end.

"It gave me time to force my mind to this is it," said Beltré, a .286 career hitter with 477 homers whose 2,759 career games at third base are second only to Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson.

Beltré, who was a key leader in the Rangers clubhouse, doesn't expect to be a coach any time soon — if at all.

"I don't think I have the patience for it. I don't say I will never do it, I just don't see myself doing it," he said. "I was away my house pretty much for 20-something years, and coaching takes more time. ... I don't think I can do that to my family, at least not yet."

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/tag/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Baseball , AP Sports - Major League Baseball
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
Barr asks Pelosi at event: 'Did you bring your handcuffs?'
No joke? Waiting for President Donald Trump, Attorney General William Barr asks House Speaker Nancy Pelosi if she brought 'handcuffs'
Alabama vote moves abortion to the center of 2020 campaign
The debate over abortion rights and the Supreme Court is moving to the center of the 2020 presidential campaign after Alabama's vote to advance new constraints on terminating pregnancies, a development that could energize the bases of both parties
Alaska floatplanes collided at 3,300 feet before crashing
Two sightseeing planes that crashed in southeast Alaska collided at about the 3,300-foot level
Browns RB Kareem Hunt vows he's changed after violent past
Browns running back Kareem Hunt hopes to win back trust of teammates, fans after violent incidents
Alonso crashes early in 2nd day of Indy 500 practice
Fernando Alonso has crashed on the second day of practice for the Indianapolis 500
Patrick Kane sets US-scoring record at world championship
Patrick Kane scored a goal and had two assists to become the United States' all-time leading scorer at the world hockey championship in 6-3 win over Britain
Sale strikes out 17 in 7 innings, Rockies top Red Sox in 11
Red Sox ace Chris Sale struck out a career-high 17 in just seven innings before getting pulled after 108 pitches, and the Colorado Rockies rallied against Boston's bullpen to win 5-4 in the 11th
LEADING OFF: Guerrero connects, Garver injured, Harper hurt
LEADING OFF: Guerrero hits first 2 HRs of big league career, Garver injured tagging out Ohtani, Harper hurts knee on catch
Guerrero Jr. hits 2 HRs, Blue Jays beat Giants 7-3
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. homered twice to become the third-youngest player to hit his first two major league homers in the same game, and the Toronto Blue Jays beat the San Francisco Giants 7-3
AP Online Baseball
Ex-MVP Wetteland maintains innocence amid sex abuse charges
An attorney for John Wetteland says the former All-Star and World Series MVP pitcher is stunned by and innocent of charges accusing him of child sex abuse
Dodgers' Julio Urias arrested for alleged domestic battery
Police: Dodgers pitcher Julio Urias arrested for investigation of misdemeanor domestic battery
Ohtani hits 1st HR of season for Angels in 5-4 win vs. Twins
Ohtani hits 1st HR of season, La Stella goes deep for Angels in 5-4 win vs. Berrios, Twins
12:31AM ( 1 day ago )
AP Sports - Major League Baseball
Alaska floatplanes collided at 3,300 feet before crashing
Mnuchin optimistic on trade battles; Wall Street approves
Mnuchin says US makes progress in talks with Canada and Mexico over steel tariffs, expects to soon travel to Beijing for more trade talks; comments boost stock market
Tech, communications companies lead rebound in US stocks
Big technology and communications companies are leading U.S. stocks higher, reversing an early slide and placing the market on track for its second straight gain
Semi-trailer hauling honey overturns along Indiana highway
A semi-trailer hauling honey overturned on a northwestern Indiana highway, spilling some of the sticky substance and restricting travel for hours
Browns RB Kareem Hunt vows he's changed after violent past