sunny.png
Monday June 17th, 2019 11:34AM

Suit seeks to hold Vatican at fault for abuse by US priests

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Three brothers who were sexually abused by a priest from the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against the Vatican, claiming the Holy See bears responsibility because the case was mishandled by former Archbishop John Nienstedt and the Vatican's former ambassador to the United States.

The lawsuit attempts to trace a direct line from clergy sex abuse victims to the Vatican, through Minnesota church officials. Luke, Stephen and Ben Hoffman were abused by former priest Curtis Wehmeyer, roughly between 2009 and 2012.

"I have too many nieces and nephews to let something like this happen to anybody else," Stephen Hoffman said about his decision to come forward.

Nienstedt and the former ambassador, Carlo Maria Viganò, have previously denied the allegations raised in the lawsuit. The Vatican's U.S. lawyer, Jeffrey Lena, had no immediate comment. In the past Lena has described sex abuse lawsuits against the Vatican as publicity stunts.

The lawsuit's plaintiffs include two other men who say they were molested by Catholic priests, one in Minnesota and one in California. Those two men sued the Vatican separately within the last year, but attorney Jeff Anderson withdrew their cases in anticipation of Tuesday's lawsuit. Anderson had also sued the Vatican on two prior occasions without success.

Anderson said he believes the new lawsuit is stronger because he's made a more complete effort to document Vatican authority over Catholic clerics and to portray the church as a commercial enterprise. The Hoffman brothers' involvement also allowed him to bring in issues surrounding Nienstedt, which he says are emblematic of how church leaders have covered up abuse.

"The body of evidence and the scope of the complaint is much broader and much more developed than the first time we litigated this," Anderson said.

Because it has the status of a foreign nation, the Vatican is generally exempt from lawsuits in the United States. Exceptions to the U.S. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act include wrongful acts committed against U.S. citizens and commercial activities undertaken by foreign nations.

The new lawsuit seeks monetary damages, but the plaintiffs said truth is the goal. The lawsuit asks for court orders requiring the Vatican to turn over names of "credibly accused" priests whose cases have been referred to the Holy See, along with related records. It also seeks names of church leaders who have been implicit in covering up abuse.

Ben Hoffman said the church needs to be more transparent and "live in the truth."

"I'm still Catholic. I have a deep love for the church. I have a deep love for my faith, it means the world to me. But the Vatican — we have to fix this," he said, his eyes watering.

Before the Hoffman brothers were abused, church officials received complaints about Wehmeyer's inappropriate sexual activities. In 2004, he was cited for loitering in a Minnesota park known as a place to meet for anonymous sex, and he lied to police about his identity, the lawsuit says.

Wehmeyer was later evaluated at a treatment center for troubled priests and diagnosed with a sexual disorder. The archbishop at the time, Harry Flynn, moved him from West St. Paul to the Church of the Blessed Sacrament in St. Paul and assigned him to administrative duties.

But in 2009, about the time Wehmeyer started abusing the Hoffman brothers, Nienstedt promoted Wehmeyer to pastor. According to the lawsuit, another archdiocesan official cautioned Nienstedt — then newly installed as archbishop — about the promotion and informed him of Wehmeyer's record, to no avail.

Over the next three years, Wehmeyer abused the Hoffman brothers, who were in their mid-teens, during camping trips. After the boys' mother reported the abuse of at least two of her sons to police, Wehmeyer was arrested and pleaded guilty to criminal sexual conduct and possession of child pornography.

The AP does not routinely name victims of sexual abuse, but the plaintiffs have chosen to speak publicly.

Wehmeyer's arrest led local prosecutors to file criminal charges against the archdiocese for failing to protect children. The charges were dropped in 2016 when the archdiocese admitted wrongdoing and agreed to meet with victims and adopt stronger measures to prevent clergy abuse.

Wehmeyer's arrest also triggered the resignation of Nienstedt after the archdiocese retained a law firm to look into his supervision of Wehmeyer. The investigation alleged Nienstedt had sexually harassed priests and seminarians and had a "social relationship" with Wehmeyer.

Controversy surrounding Nienstedt escalated when a priest involved in the investigation wrote a memo saying that Viganò ordered church officials to end the inquiry and instructed them to destroy a letter they wrote to him objecting to his directive.

Viganò flatly denied those allegations in a statement last year. "I never told anyone that (the law firm) should stop the inquiry, and I never ordered any document be destroyed," he said. "Any statement to the contrary is false."

Nienstedt, who is not a defendant in the case, also denies the allegations. In a response to emailed questions from the AP on Tuesday, Nienstedt said his interaction with Wehmeyer was in the context of archbishop to priest.

"During my time as Archbishop, I was made aware of some challenges Wehmeyer was facing, but was not made aware that he may be inappropriately or illegally involved with minors," Nienstedt wrote. He said that as archbishop, he ensured Wehmeyer was complying with conditions placed on him, including attending counseling.

Nienstedt wrote that Wehmeyer was being supervised and doing what was asked of him, and the decision to promote him was made in consultation with others.

"I would never knowingly cover up clergy sexual abuse," Nienstedt wrote.

Nienstedt also said he's unaware of a final report that came out of the investigation into him, but he reiterated that even though the allegations are false, he directed that the investigation be carried out, as he would have done for any other priest.

___

Rezendes reported from Boston.

  • Associated Categories: U.S. News, Associated Press (AP), AP National News, AP Online National News, Top U.S. News short headlines, Top General short headlines, AP World News
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
Military officer says no rise in Iran threat in Iraq, Syria
A senior officer in the U.S.-led military coalition combating the Islamic State says there is no increased threat from Iranian-backed forces in Iraq or Syria
12:56PM ( 9 minutes ago )
US targets $300B of Chinese goods for new tariff hikes
The United States has issued a $300 billion target list of additional Chinese goods for tariff hikes in a possible new escalation of a trade fight that is shaking financial markets and fueling concern about global economic growth
12:46PM ( 19 minutes ago )
Stocks rebound a day after nosedive induced by trade worries
Stocks clawed higher and regained some lost ground following a rout over trade war anxiety
12:44PM ( 21 minutes ago )
Associated Press (AP)
The Latest: Pompeo warns Russia against 2020 interference
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he has warned the Russian foreign minister against interference in the next American presidential election
12:29PM ( 36 minutes ago )
The Latest: Pompeo urges Russia to end support of Maduro
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that while meeting with Russia's foreign minister he urged Russia to end its support of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro
12:10PM ( 55 minutes ago )
Lawsuit blames Tiger Woods for drunken driver's death
The parents of a Florida man who died in a 2018 car crash are suing golfer Tiger Woods and his girlfriend in a wrongful death lawsuit
12:09PM ( 56 minutes ago )
AP National News
The Latest: Arab League chief condemns Yemen's rebels
The head of the Arab League has condemned attacks claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels against an oil pipeline and other energy infrastructure in Saudi Arabia
10:31AM ( 2 hours ago )
Saudi Arabia says its oil pipeline was attacked by drones
Saudi Araba says an oil pipeline that runs across the country was hit by drones west of its capital of Riyadh, shortly after rebels in Yemen claimed they carried out coordinated drone strikes against the kingdom
10:26AM ( 2 hours ago )
Disney takes over Hulu as big media players navigate stream
Disney takes full control of Hulu, elevating the fight for dominance of the stream
10:25AM ( 2 hours ago )
Top General short headlines
Military officer says no rise in Iran threat in Iraq, Syria
A senior officer in the U.S.-led military coalition combating the Islamic State says there is no increased threat from Iranian-backed forces in Iraq or Syria
12:56PM ( 9 minutes ago )
US targets $300B of Chinese goods for new tariff hikes
The United States has issued a $300 billion target list of additional Chinese goods for tariff hikes in a possible new escalation of a trade fight that is shaking financial markets and fueling concern about global economic growth
12:46PM ( 19 minutes ago )
Stocks rebound a day after nosedive induced by trade worries
Stocks clawed higher and regained some lost ground following a rout over trade war anxiety
12:44PM ( 21 minutes ago )
AP sources: Trump officials discussed deporting families
AP sources: Homeland Security officials considered rounding up migrant families around the country who had final deportation orders, and detain and remove them from the U.S. in a flashy show of force
12:43PM ( 22 minutes ago )
Revolution hire 5-time MLS Cup champ Bruce Arena as coach
Revolution hire 5-time MLS Cup winner and former US coach Bruce Arena as coach, director
12:30PM ( 36 minutes ago )