rainn.png
Tuesday October 15th, 2019 7:15AM

Dolphins' Josh Rosen says he can be franchise quarterback

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) — As he embraced a fresh start Monday, Josh Rosen said all the right things, smiled a lot and even cracked a couple of jokes, such as when he noted the phalanx of photographers nearly drowning out his first news conference with the Miami Dolphins .

"These clicks," he said with a chuckle, "are loud."

Rosen does attract clicks, which is a big change for a Dolphins team low on star power. It has been so long since they had a Pro Bowl quarterback that Rosen referred to him as "Mr. Marino."

Despite a rough rookie season that prompted the Arizona Cardinals to discard him, Rosen still believes he can be a Dan Marino-type franchise quarterback. And he's glad to get an opportunity with the Dolphins, who are eager to stop a revolving door at the position that has gone through 19 starters since Marino's last game 20 years ago.

"I couldn't be more excited to be here," Rosen said. "Very rarely do you get a second chance to make a first impression."

As for motivation, Rosen's crooked grin grew wider when he was asked about any chip on his shoulder.

"I don't think my chip has to grow any more," he said. "I might tip over."

He was the 10th overall pick in the 2018 draft but became expendable in Arizona last week when the Cardinals used the No. 1 overall pick to select Kyler Murray. A day later, the Dolphins acquired him for two draft picks to become part of their rebuilding effort under first-year coach Brian Flores.

"I felt like I got drafted twice," he said.

Rosen took no direct jabs at the Cardinals and acknowledged that in Miami he faces a one-year tryout . If he doesn't play well this season, the Dolphins will likely have a poor record and be well-positioned to take a QB early in the first round in 2020.

Rosen also acknowledged his image needs work. Doubts about his leadership and personality linger despite efforts by Arizona teammates and coaches to dispel them.

He said the issue dates to his years at UCLA.

"I didn't have all my answers as perfectly crafted as I do now," he said. "I said some things off the cuff, and people misconstrued them. ...

"I think I'm a really good teammate. What I've tried to do is not say or do anything extra, just kind of be me and keep my head down, and eventually the story will straighten out. I think it has for the most part. Time and consistency are the best medicine to cure the narrative."

With that in mind, Rosen had answers ready when asked about:

— competing for the starting job with another Dolphins newcomer, veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick. "The timing on whether I play or not is not up to me."

— Pro Football Hall of Famer Marino. "Hopefully I can follow in some semblance of his massive footsteps."

— his belief that he can become a franchise QB. "I think I'm a good quarterback, and I think I'm a good leader."

The Dolphins hope he's right.

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Follow Steven Wine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Steve_Wine

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Football, AP Sports - NFL
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
Appeals court denies Bill Cosby's latest bid for bail
A Pennsylvania appeals court has denied Bill Cosby's latest effort to be released from prison on bail while he appeals his sex-assault conviction
Trump says NRA 'under siege' by New York investigation
President Donald Trump says the National Rifle Association is "under siege" in New York after state Attorney General Letitia James announced an investigation into the group
Dolphins' Josh Rosen says he can be franchise quarterback
Josh Rosen embracing fresh start with Miami Dolphins, says he still believes he can be franchise quarterback, despite being supplanted by Kyler Murray after only 1 season at Arizona
Big payday for Beard after Texas Tech's run to title game
Texas Tech's Beard signs new contract with an average salary of $4.575 million through 2024-25 after run to title game
Popovich negotiating new deal with San Antonio Spurs
Coach Gregg Popovich negotiating a new deal with the San Antonio Spurs
Injuries piling up for Hurricanes during playoff run
Carolina Hurricanes goalie Petr Mrazek day to day with a lower body injury while defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk is out with an upper body injury
Shooting kills college football player, injures Giants' pick
Police in Kansas are investigating a shooting that killed current Washburn University football player Dwane Simmons and wounded former player Corey Ballentine just hours after Ballentine was drafted by the New York Giants
Let's talk quarterbacks. As in potential backup QBs
Let's talk quarterbacks. As in potential backup QBs
Chiefs owner 'deeply disturbed' by Tyreek Hill allegations
Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said he was "deeply disturbed" by audio of Tyreek Hill and his star wide receiver's fiancee discussing injuries to their 3-year-old son, but he declined to elaborate on the case citing an ongoing criminal investigation
AP Online Football
Dolphins acquire quarterback Josh Rosen in deal with Arizona
Josh Rosen, supplanted by Kyler Murray as the Arizona Cardinals' quarterback of the future after only one season, has been traded to the Miami Dolphins in a deal that also involved two draft picks
The Latest: SEC just drafted more with 13 in 2nd round alone
The Southeastern Conference is well on its way to having the most players taken in the NFL draft for the 13th consecutive year
Cardinals banking on Kyler Murray to start a new era
Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury and No. 1 draft pick Kyler Murray are excited to extend a relationship that began when Murray was a 15-year-old high school quarterback
AP Sports - NFL
Appeals court denies Bill Cosby's latest bid for bail
Trump says NRA 'under siege' by New York investigation
Islamic State leader: Sri Lanka attack was revenge for Syria
The leader of the Islamic State group praised the Easter suicide bombings that killed more than 250 people in Sri Lanka in his first filmed appearance in nearly five years.
The Latest: Family of suspect in synagogue attack 'shocked'
The family of the suspect in the California synagogue shooting says they're "shocked and deeply" saddened by the deadly attack
After Sri Lanka blasts, government targets the niqab veil
After the Easter suicide attacks, Sri Lanka's president has used his emergency powers to ban the wearing of face-covering veils by Muslim women