sunny.png
Wednesday July 17th, 2019 7:38AM

Palm Angels lights up NY Fashion Week with strobes, stags

NEW YORK (AP) — With a strobe light show worthy of a seizure warning and classic statuary in clear boxes, Milan streetwear cool guy Francesco Ragazzi brought his celeb-popular Palm Angels brand to New York Fashion Week on Friday for the first time.

And the reason? His explanation wasn't nearly as dramatic as his show.

"A new challenge. I always start with a new challenge, and definitely New York is a great energy. I'm trying to bring my own vision here, just trying to tell my story," Ragazzi told The Associated Press before his models — both men and women — lined up for one last look prior to showtime.

The 39-year-old Ragazzi put out a mix of tailoring in jackets and coats, some outfitted with a loop of chain. Others were a play on hunting and fishing outerwear, loaded with huge external pockets with zips. Some of the looks included a photo patch of a stag ready for a nighttime kill.

"I tried to mix these two worlds and give a contrast that gives energy," said Ragazzi, also art director for the Italian brand Moncler.

There was plenty of energy on his runway that exploded with beams of pulsing light showing off a David (as in Michelangelo) among his encased sculptures. As for the clothes, much of his offerings for fall and winter were true to his street roots in trainers for the feet and hoodies branded with the name of the company he started in 2015. One was emblazoned with a green alien face.

Don't misunderstand. The average skateboarder kid likely can't afford these clothes. Ragazzi sells track jackets in the zone of $500 and little dresses for $600 and more. A few tiny dresses were sculpted in leather this season. But don't call them luxury.

"I don't consider myself luxury," he said. "I think I'm creating, like, a desire. This is what interests me the most, you know. I'm trying to make my product look expensive, but I don't consider myself luxury."

Ragazzi does consider himself driven by his celebrity fans. Before decamping Milan for New York, Ragazzi hoped New York would drop a few A-listers onto his front row. He got French Montana, the rapper Gunna — he smoked throughout the show — and a giddy Alexander Wang.

"When I design a collection, I always think about a celebrity and a celebrity wearing the piece, so when it winds up on a celebrity, I'm happy," Ragazzi said.

Pharrell had a thing or two to do with Palm Angels' buzz.

Ragazzi's first aspiration was to be a fashion photographer. When he hit Los Angeles, he embraced the skate scene in a photo book published by Rizzoli in 2014. He got Pharrell to write the foreword. And away went Palm Angels.

"We sort of became friends. He's a beautiful person. I was happy to stay in touch with him," he said.

Ragazzi said he finds it difficult creatively to differentiate between the more established Moncler and Palm Angels.

"I have a collaboration with them, so I'm very happy to have it," he said, "but I'm also growing my baby, which is Palm Angels."

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, APOnline Celebrity News
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
'This Is Us' star Milo Ventimiglia honored at Harvard
"This Is Us" actor Milo Ventimiglia is being honored as Man of the Year by Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Theatricals
Palm Angels lights up NY Fashion Week with strobes, stags
With a strobe light show worthy of a seizure warning and classic statuary in clear boxes, Milan streetwear cool guy Francesco Ragazzi brought his celeb-popular Palm Angels brand to New York Fashion Week for the first time
Antetokounmpo, Bucks win 6th straight, 122-107 over Mavs
Giannis Antetokounmpo has 29 points, 17 rebounds as Bucks roll to sixth straight victory, topping Mavericks 122-107
Streep joins 'Big Little Lies' after being fan of show
Meryl Streep joins the party with actresses Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern for an unexpected second season of HBO's 'Big Little Lies.'
Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist undergoes open heart surgery
Lindsey Buckingham underwent open heart surgery that left the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist with damaged vocal cords
'Big Little Lies' adds superfan Meryl Streep in new season
Meryl Streep says she was addicted to "Big Little Lies" and welcomed the chance to be part of its second season
AP Entertainment
Thai princess' political bid sunk by her brother, the king
Thai politics took two astonishing turns when the king's sister sought to make a historic bid to become prime minister, only to have her brother later shut down her effort because it the constitution, which bars the monarchy from politics
Indicted political operative popped up in unlikely places
Paul Erickson seemed to pop up in unlikely places from presidential campaigns to lobbying for an African dictator over more than two decades
Director Spike Lee boycotts Gucci, Prada for blackface items
Director Spike Lee says he will no longer wear Gucci or Prada until the brands hire some black designers, following a pair of blackface fashion fails
APOnline Celebrity News
'This Is Us' star Milo Ventimiglia honored at Harvard
Antetokounmpo, Bucks win 6th straight, 122-107 over Mavs
Abortion case shows Roberts firmly at Supreme Court's center
Chief Justice John Roberts broke with the Supreme Court's other conservative justices and his own voting record on abortion to block a Louisiana law requiring abortion providers to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital
Miami's Dwyane Wade crashes to floor, taken to locker room
Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade has been taken to the locker room after crashing hard to the floor at the end of the first quarter against Sacramento
Scandals drive calls for top Virginia leadership to resign
Scandals fraught with questions of race, sex and power driving calls in Virginia for the departure of the state's three top elected leaders