clearn.png
Monday October 14th, 2019 6:43AM

Perfect attendance: 3 fans to keep Super Bowl streak alive

ATLANTA (AP) — Don Crisman knows precisely when the streak began: Jan. 15, 1967. The ticket price for the Super Bowl at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum was $12.

"Good seats," Crisman, 82, said. "You could buy $6 tickets, and $10. There were three prices."

On Sunday, Crisman, Gregory Eaton and Tom Henschel will attend Super Bowl 53 . They're the last surviving members of the Never Miss a Super Bowl Club, the only known fans with a perfect attendance record for the NFL's biggest game.

"I've missed weddings, I've missed funerals, but I've never missed a Super Bowl," said Eaton, 79, from Lansing, Michigan. "Anyone in my family knows don't plan anything because I'm gone that week."

Ticket prices have soared through the years. Eaton said he paid $2,000 for his ticket to Sunday's Rams-Patriots game. The most he paid was $3,000 for Super Bowl 48 in East Rutherford, New Jersey, in 2014.

Now, as the Rams prepare to face Tom Brady and the Patriots on Sunday, preserving the streak is more important than the cost. And it has not been a smooth ride the whole way.

Henschel, 78, a Steelers fan who lives near Pittsburgh, had his near-miss in New Orleans for Super Bowl 6 in 1972.

"I partied a lot on Bourbon Street and woke up at 5 or 6 in the morning and couldn't breathe," Henschel said. "I was on all fours. I finally got outside on the street and a police officer took me to a hospital. The next thing I know I'm in the ER with an IV in me and oxygen.

"They rolled me into a room and I'm feeling good and a nun came in and said 'You're going to be under observation the next 24 hours.' I said 'Sister, you don't understand, I've got to go to this game.' She said 'No, you'll be able to see the game on TV.' Right after she walked out, I took my IV out and oxygen off and I left. They've never seen me since."

Crisman almost missed Super Bowl 2 in Miami when a storm forced his private plane to land at an abandoned Air Force base in South Carolina. He finally had a take a 24-hour train ride before arriving in Miami only a couple hours before the Packers-Raiders game.

"My streak almost ended before it began," he said.

Crisman distributed Super Bowl 53 club shirts to Henschel and Eaton when they met at a luncheon in downtown Atlanta on Friday. It's a unique club for the three who become mini-celebrities once a year.

Crisman, a Patriots fan from Kennebunk, Maine, offered a toast to former members who have died, including Larry Jacobson six months ago.

Crisman said Jacobson was a "one of a kind" fan who also had streaks of attending 54 consecutive Rose Bowls and 15 Summer Olympics.

As a Patriots fan, Crisman has had much to cheer about in recent Super Bowls. He said New England's comeback win over the Atlanta Falcons two years ago is his favorite Super Bowl memory.

"I had that one in the loss column at halftime," he said.

Crisman is hoping his Patriots, who lost to Philadelphia in last year's Super Bowl , can win their sixth title. For now, Henschel's Steelers have the record with six.

The smack talk between Crisman and Henschel adds spice to the club's dynamics.

"I'm going for the Rams big-time," Henschel said. "Big-time!"

Henschel is armed with his Steelers' Super Bowl record for anyone who would question why he'd wear a Pittsburgh jacket to a function before the Rams-Patriots game.

"What, do we need to give you a history lesson?" Henschel said before adding with a smile, "That always gets them."

Meanwhile, Eaton's Detroit Lions have never made it to a Super Bowl. Year after year, he keeps his streak intact.

"I take one year at a time," Eaton said. "If my health keeps going, I'd at least like four or five more."

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Football, AP Online - Georgia News, AP Sports - NFL
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
Exxon revenue rises, 4Q profit beats expectations
Exxon reports higher revenue and profit of $6 billion in the fourth quarter, but earnings drop 28 percent
Trump's State of the Union to focus on 'choosing greatness'
President Donald Trump will finally deliver his State of the Union speech on Tuesday following a roller-coaster will-it-won't-it-happen ride
US stocks eke out gains after bumpy day caps solid week
Stocks capped a bumpy day of trading Friday with modest gains, extending the market's winning streak to its third-straight day
Anthony Davis says it's his time now, ready to move on
Anthony Davis says it's his time now, ready to move on
Missouri to appeal what it calls 'unjust' NCAA penalties
Missouri plans to appeal soon what it called "unjust" penalties levied by the NCAA in an academic misconduct case
Jazz center Rudy Gobert moved to tears by All-Star snub
'I feel disrespected': An emotional Rudy Gobert speaks out about not getting picked as an All-Star
Brady tops NFL Players Association merchandise sales list
Brady tops NFL Players Association merchandise sales list
A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban
The FBI says that security officials are being "inundated" with drones flying around the Atlanta stadium that will host Sunday's Super Bowl 53.
Las Vegas: Charm will keep bettors coming for the Super Bowl
Las Vegas is not worried about the competition from casinos in other states that for the first time Sunday will also offer football fans a chance to bet on the Super Bowl
AP Online Football
Atlanta officer charged in wreck that led driver to lose arm
An Atlanta police officer has been indicted on charges including reckless driving in a wreck that caused another driver to lose an arm
8:57AM ( 3 weeks ago )
AP Online - Georgia News
After further (judicial) review: No do-over of Rams-Saints
A federal judge is refusing to order the NFL to implement a rule that could have led to a do-over of the NFC championship game between the New Orleans Saints and the Los Angeles Rams
Union, league preparing "war chests" for 2021 labor talks
Two years before the labor agreement with the NFL runs out the players' union is gathering a war chest it hopes it doesn't need. Union leaders, however, expect a work stoppage in 2021, while not exactly inevitable, will be difficult to avoid
The Latest: Pats' Brown joins wife for birth of their child
The Latest: New England Patriots left tackle Trent Brown was excused from the team's final media session before the Super Bowl to be with his wife, who had a baby.
AP Sports - NFL
Exxon revenue rises, 4Q profit beats expectations
Trump's State of the Union to focus on 'choosing greatness'
US stocks eke out gains after bumpy day caps solid week
Young Maduro loyalist is new hope for Venezuela's socialists
Amid the political turmoil roiling Venezuela it's easy to overlook this milestone: the 20th anniversary on Saturday of Hugo Chavez's Bolivarian revolution
Struggle for control of Venezuela returning to the streets
Momentum grows for Venezuela's opposition movement led by lawmaker Juan Guaido, who's calling supporters back into the streets Saturday for nationwide protests, escalating pressure against embattled President Nicolas Maduro to step down