Tuesday July 7th, 2020 3:19PM

Tyler Duncan rallies to win PGA Tour’s RSM Classic

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. (AP) — Tyler Duncan made a 12-foot putt on the second hole of a playoff with Webb Simpson on Sunday in the RSM Classic for his first PGA Tour title.

Playing two groups ahead of Simpson in windy conditions on Sea Island’s Seaside Course, Duncan birdied three of the last four holes in regulation for a 5-under 65. He two-putted the par-5 15h for a birdie, made a 6-footer on the par-3 17th and a 25-footer on the par-4 18th.

“I'm just so happy to be here playing and to come out here and win is just unbelievable,” Duncan said.

Simpson birdied 15 and 16 and closed with two pars, making a 5-footer on 18 to match Duncan at 19-under 263.

“It played really tough all day,” Simpson said. “It was blowing it seemed like a solid 20 and gusts here and there, and the pins were tough. They did a good job of setup, but they didn't make it easy for us. It was especially hard starting out the way we did, so I played really well given the conditions.”

They played the 18th twice in the playoff, matching pars on the first extra hole.

“I was definitely nervous, yeah,” Duncan said.” I've been working really hard on controlling my emotions and breathing and all that stuff and it paid off down the stretch here, especially this playoff. I was just able to keep calm and trust what I was doing.”

Simpson has four top-seven finishes in eight starts in the event.

“I felt like it was going to go my way, but that's what great players do, they birdie the last two holes like he did,” Simpson said. “So, tough to finish that way, but all in all, a great week.”

The 30-year-old Duncan regained his PGA Tour card with a 12th-place finish in the Korn Ferry Tour Finals after finishing 163rd in the FedEx Cup standings. He shot a 61 on Friday, then made 18 pars in a 70 on Saturday that left him four strokes behind third-round leader Brendon Todd.

“I knew it was going to be a tough day out here,” Duncan said. “It was colder, the wind picked up and I was just trying to do the best I could, fight until the end. I hit one of the best 4-irons I've ever hit on 17 6 feet up the hill and you guys saw the probably 30-footer I made here on 18 just to get to a playoff.”

He earned his first spots in the Masters, PGA Championship and Tournament of Champions in Hawaii.

“Just so many different things that I'm very, very excited for,” Duncan said.

Sebastian Munoz was a stroke back after a 68. The Colombian won the Sanderson Farms Championship in Mississippi in September for his first PGA Tour title.

“First maybe eight holes I was a little tight,” Munoz said. “I was too careful with my speed. Then, I just kind of let it go and made a couple more putts and hit better shots and it was all good. I gave myself a chance on 18. It didn't happen this time, but it already did this year, so I'm happy.”

Todd, seeking his third straight PGA Tour victory, was fourth at 16 under after a 72. He took a two-stroke lead into the final round.

“I was definitely tired on the back nine,” Todd said. “With no momentum going, no birdies through 14 holes, it just seemed like I couldn't summon the energy to make some birdies.

“I'm really appreciative of the last two wins that I just had in Bermuda and Mexico. Had another opportunity this week, but it didn't go my way. Just trying to keep getting in contention and closing out.”

For more AP golf coverage: https://apnews.com/apf-Golf and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Online - Georgia News, AP Sports - PGA
© Copyright 2020 AccessWDUN.com
Tyler Duncan rallies to win PGA Tour’s RSM Classic
Tyler Duncan made a 12-foot putt on the second hole of a playoff with Webb Simpson in the RSM Classic for his first PGA Tour title
Michigan State, Kansas headline strong Maui field
No. 3 Michigan State and No. 4 Kansas headline another strong Maui Invitational bracket
Big guy, big catch: Vea TD leads Bucs past Falcons 35-22
Massive defensive lineman Vita Vea turned receiver to haul in his first career touchdown, one of three scoring throws by Jameis Winston as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Atlanta Falcons 35-22
The Latest: Panthers pull even with Saints in 4th
The Latest on Week 12 in the NFL: Kyle Allen threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to DJ Moore on fourth down to pull the Carolina Panthers into a 31-all tie with New Orleans with 9:23 remaining in the fourth quarter
The Latest: Wentz stays in despite apparent injury
The Latest on Week 12 in the NFL: Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz went to the sideline medical tent and then jogged to the locker room to get an apparent injury checked out, but he ended up staying in the game
Rafael Nadal leads Spain to 6th Davis Cup title
Rafael Nadal has beaten Denis Shapovalov in straight sets to give Spain its sixth Davis Cup title with a win over first-time finalist Canada
Rahm lands $5M jackpot, emulates Ballesteros with Dubai win
Jon Rahm is $5 million richer after winning both the season-ending World Tour Championship and the Race to Dubai title
Rahm lands $5M jackpot with win in Dubai
Kim clings to 1-shot lead with $1.5 million on the line
LPGA Tour finale set for rich finish as Sei Young Kim clings to 1-shot lead over Nelly Korda
AP Online Golf
The Latest: Suspect in custody in Alabama sheriff’s death
State authorities have taken a suspect in the shooting death of an Alabama sheriff into custody
Alabama sheriff shot, killed in line of duty; suspect named
Police have identified a suspect in connection with the shooting death of an Alabama sheriff at a gas station
Siakam, VanVleet help Raptors hold off Hawks
Siakam scores 34 points as Toronto Raptors hold off Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks 119-116
AP Online - Georgia News
McIlroy’s ‘perfect’ shot upstages Race to Dubai title battle
Rory McIlroy is out of the running for the Race to Dubai title but he still forced his way onto center stage at the season-ending World Tour Championship
11:47AM ( 3 days ago )
Fleetwood comes from 6 shots back to win playoff in Sun City
Tommy Fleetwood comes from 6 shots behind to win Nedbank Golf Challenge in a playoff
12:15PM ( 1 week ago )
Column: Postseason golf about entertainment, not about fair
Column: Postseason golf is not supposed to be fair, it's supposed to be entertaining
4:58PM ( 1 week ago )
AP Sports - PGA
Michigan State, Kansas headline strong Maui field
Big guy, big catch: Vea TD leads Bucs past Falcons 35-22
‘Young and the Restless’ marks Peter Bergman’s milestone
“The Young and the Restless” celebrates Peter Bergman’s 30th anniversary as Jack Abbott with a special episode Monday.
Duck Time: Hodges leads Steelers over winless Bengals 16-10
Devlin “Duck” Hodges took over for struggling Mason Rudolph and threw a 79-yard touchdown pass, sparking the depleted Pittsburgh Steelers to a 16-10 victory that kept the Cincinnati Bengals the only winless team in the NFL
Bloomberg entry into presidential race raises ethics issues
The news service that bears Michael Bloomberg's name has set coverage rules as the former New York City mayor enters the 2020 presidential race