tstorm.png
Monday June 24th, 2019 7:37PM

Phil Mickelson shoots 12-under 60 at La Quinta in 2019 debut

LA QUINTA, Calif. (AP) — Phil Mickelson still feels as young as ever. He still plays that way, too.

Mickelson began his 27th full season as a pro Thursday by flirting with one of the few feats he hasn't accomplished — golf's magic number. The 48-year-old left-hander still shot a 12-under 60 in the Desert Classic, tying his career-low score he last shot in the Phoenix Open six years ago. It was the most under par he has been in any of the 2,077 rounds he has played on the PGA Tour.

"It was a kind of a lucky day for me in the sense that I did not feel sharp heading in," Mickelson said. "I haven't really had the intense practice sessions that I would like, but I felt like all parts were OK and it just clicked. Some days you have those days where it just clicked. And the bad shots that I hit, I got away with. I was able to kind of not have the big score."

Needing to play the final two holes in 2 under to shoot 59 on the foggy, rainy day at La Quinta Country Club, Mickelson missed a 15-foot birdie try on the par-4 17th before holing a 9-footer for birdie on the par-4 18th.

The Desert Classic is the only PGA Tour event to yield two sub-60 rounds. David Duval had a 59 at PGA West's Palmer Course when he won in 1999. Adam Hadwin shot 59 at La Quinta in 2017.

"I was aware of it," Mickelson said. "I was giving it all I had and I had a good chance. On 17, I hit a nice tee shot in a good spot to kind of hook a sand wedge into that back right pin for me. And I hit a good shot, I had 18 feet though, I should have hit that closer, but still had a good chance to make the putt. Made a good birdie on 18. That's not an easy hole for me, that shot the way it sits along the water."

Mickelson had a three-stroke lead over Adam Long, the 31-year-old PGA Tour rookie who finished off a 63 in the dark on PGA West's Nicklaus Tournament Course.

The fog-delayed round was Mickelson's first on tour since early October and the first in competition since beating Tiger Woods in Las Vegas in November in a made-for-TV event.

"I knew it wasn't far off, but it didn't feel like I was ready to go," Mickelson said. "I just felt like I needed to be careful. I felt I played a little bit more conservative."

Lefty birdied the first two holes and played the back-to-back par 5s in 3 under with a birdie on No. 5 and a 5-foot eagle putt on No. 6. He added a birdie on the par-4 ninth for a front-nine 30, and birdied the par-4 10th , par-5 11th, par-5 13th and par-4 14th, holing a chip from in front of the 14th green.

"That was an interesting shot because I could have easily lost one and I ended up picking one up," he said.

He then ran in a 5-footer for birdie on the par-4 16th.

The tournament winner in 2002 and 2004, Mickelson will play the Nicklaus Course on Friday and PGA West's adjacent Stadium Course — also the site of the final round — on Saturday. He won the World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship last year for his 43rd PGA Tour title and first since the 2013 British Open.

Long eagled the par-5 fourth and had seven birdies — five in a row from Nos. 9-13 — in an eight-hole stretch.

"I just kept hitting it pretty close and making some good rolls and they were going in," Long said. "I just kept feeding off it and tried to keep the pedal down."

Australia's Curtis Luck was third at 64, also playing La Quinta.

Hadwin was at 65 with Trey Mullinax, Wyndham Clark and Martin Laird. Hadwin played the Stadium Course, Mullinax and Laird opened on the Nicklaus layout, and Clark was at La Quinta.

Defending champion Jon Rahm shot a 66 at La Quinta. He's fighting a lingering flu bug.

"Still pretty weak, which is possibly why I wasn't hitting it quite as far," Rahm said. "Not fully recuperated. My body is not a hundred percent."

Top-ranked Justin Rose had a 68 at La Quinta in his first start of the year. He's the first No. 1 player to play the tournament since the world ranking began in 1986.

"It's kind of like you're at the starting line and they kept dragging it back 30 minutes with the fog," Rose said. "So, that was tricky just to keep warm really and keep loose. But once I got going I felt like I played really well."

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Golf, AP Sports - PGA
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
Judge acquits 3 Chicago officers of Laquan McDonald cover-up
Judge acquits 3 Chicago police officers of trying to cover up 2014 shooting of black teen
Sharapova vs Wozniacki in key 3rd-round match at Aussie Open
Caroline Wozniacki will have her most daunting challenge in defense of her Australian Open women's singles title when she takes on five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova in the third round at Melbourne Park
Knicks' last-second goaltend gives Wizards win in London
Allonzo Trier was called for goaltending on a layup attempt by Thomas Bryant with 0.4 seconds remaining, giving the Washington Wizards a 101-100 victory over the New York Knicks in London
Status of Lynx star Maya Moore for '19 WNBA season uncertain
Minnesota Lynx star Maya Moore's availability for upcoming WNBA season uncertain
Canelo Alvarez to fight Danny Jacobs on May 4
Canelo Alvarez will return to the ring and to the middleweight division on May 4 to fight Danny Jacobs. Alvarez will defend his WBC and WBA titles against IBF champion Jacobs in a matchup of two of the sport's top performers
2 QBs leaving Longhorns as transfer frenzy hits Texas
2 QBs leaving Longhorns as NCAA transfer frenzy hits Texas
Tiger Woods to start his year at Torrey Pines again
Tiger and Torrey: Woods to open season in San Diego again; has won Farmers Insurance Open 7 times
Canadian rookie Svensson has career day to lead Sony Open
Canadian rookie Adam Svensson shoots 61 and leads Sony Open
Putnam has career-best 62 to lead Sony Open
No practice round is no problem for Andrew Putnam, who opens with 62 to lead Sony Open
AP Online Golf
Spieth looks at fresh start and last year's progress
New year for Jordan Spieth, who wants to keep the progress and throw out the results
7:30PM ( 1 week ago )
Schauffele rallies from 5 back with 62 to win at Kapalua
Xander Schauffele has nothing to lose and wins a thriller at Kapalua with record-tying 62
4:59AM ( 1 week ago )
Schauffele ties course record and wins at Kapalua
Xander the Great: Schauffele shoots 62 to tie Kapalua course record and win Tournament of Champions
10:57PM ( 1 week ago )
AP Sports - PGA
Judge acquits 3 Chicago officers of Laquan McDonald cover-up
Sharapova vs Wozniacki in key 3rd-round match at Aussie Open
Knicks' last-second goaltend gives Wizards win in London
Sears creditors challenge hedge fund chairman's winning bid
Sears creditors challenge ESL's winning bid to buy company in bankruptcy auction
Low-profile administrator replaces Engler at Michigan State
Michigan State University's Board of Trustees says interim President John Engler's resignation is effectively immediately