cloudy.png
Wednesday September 18th, 2019 12:05PM

For now, Army suspends discharges of immigrant recruits

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

The U.S. Army has stopped discharging immigrant recruits who enlisted seeking a path to citizenship — at least temporarily.

A memo shared with The Associated Press spells out orders to high-ranking Army officials to stop processing discharges of men and women who enlisted in the special immigrant program.

"Effective immediately, you will suspend processing of all involuntary separation actions," read the memo signed July 20 by Acting Assistant Secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve Affairs Marshall Williams.

The disclosure comes one month after the AP reported that dozens of immigrant enlistees were being discharged or had their contracts cancelled. Some said they were given no reason for their discharge. Others said the Army informed them they'd been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

In a statement Thursday, Army Lt. Col. Nina L. Hill said they were stopping the discharges in order to review the administrative separation process. The decision could impact hundreds of enlistees.

"We continue to abide by all requirements to include completing a thorough background investigation" on all recruits, she said.

The Army has reversed one discharge, for Brazilian reservist Lucas Calixto, 28, who had sued. Nonetheless, discharges of other immigrant enlistees continued. Attorneys sought to bring a class action lawsuit last week to offer protections to a broader group of reservists and recruits in the program, demanding that prior discharges be revoked and that further separations be halted.

A judge's order references the July 20 memo, and asks the Army to clarify how it impacts the discharge status of Calixto and other plaintiffs. As part of the memo, Williams also instructed Army officials to recommend whether the military should issue further guidance related to the program.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney and a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who helped create the immigrant recruitment program, said Wednesday the memo proves there was a policy.

"It's an admission by the Army that they've improperly discharged hundreds of soldiers," she said. "The next step should be go back and rescind the people who were improperly discharged."

Discharged recruits and reservists reached Thursday said their discharges were still in place as far as they knew.

One Pakistani man caught by surprise by his discharge said he was filing for asylum. He asked that his name be withheld because he fears he might be forced to return to Pakistan, where he could face danger as a former U.S. Army enlistee.

The reversal comes as the Defense Department has attempted to strengthen security requirements for the program, through which historically immigrants vowed to risk their lives for the promise of U.S. citizenship.

President George W. Bush ordered "expedited naturalization" for immigrant soldiers after 9/11 in an effort to swell military ranks. Seven years later the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest program, known as MAVNI, became an official recruiting program.

It came under fire from conservatives when President Barack Obama added DACA recipients — young immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children — to the list of eligible enlistees. In response, the military layered on additional security clearances for recruits to pass before heading to boot camp.

The Trump Administration added even more hurdles, creating a backlog within the Defense Department. Last fall, hundreds of recruits still in the enlistment process had their contracts canceled.

Government attorneys called the recruitment program an "elevated security risk" in another case involving 17 foreign-born military recruits who enlisted through the program but have not been able to clear additional security requirements. Some recruits had falsified their background records and were connected to state-sponsored intelligence agencies, the court filing said.

Eligible recruits are required to have legal status in the U.S., such as a student visa, before enlisting. More than 5,000 immigrants were recruited into the program in 2016, and an estimated 10,000 are currently serving. Nearly 110,000 members of the Armed Forces have gained citizenship by serving in the U.S. military since Sept. 11, 2001, according to the Defense Department.

  • Associated Categories: U.S. News, Local/State News, Associated Press (AP), AP National News, AP Online National News, Top U.S. News short headlines, Top General short headlines, AP Online Headlines - Washington
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
China exports accelerated in July despite rise in US tariffs
China's exports to the US accelerated in July despite Trump tariff hike
12:37AM ( 29 minutes ago )
Video shows massacre suspect punching self, speaking softly
Prosecutors release hours of video interrogation of Florida's high school shooting suspect showing young man slouching, punching himself and speaking about a voice he says he has heard inside his head for years
12:33AM ( 33 minutes ago )
US imposing new Russia sanctions over fatal chemical attack
US imposing new sanctions against Russia over fatal poisoning in Britain
12:31AM ( 35 minutes ago )
Associated Press (AP)
NYC moves to rein in Uber with cap on ride-hail vehicles
New York City is reining in the growth of Uber and other app-based ride services with a temporary cap on new cars picking up fares
11:18PM ( 1 hour ago )
Video shows massacre suspect slouched, punching self in face
Prosecutors release hours of video interrogation of Florida's high school shooting suspect, footage showing the young man slouching in a chair, being repeatedly urged to speak louder and punching himself in face when he is alone
11:12PM ( 1 hour ago )
Court upholds ex-Stanford swimmer's sex assault conviction
An appeals court has rejected a former Stanford University swimmer's bid for a new trial and upheld his sexual assault conviction
10:36PM ( 2 hours ago )
AP National News
The Latest: Attorney questions allegation in compound case
An attorney is questioning accusations that a man arrested at a ramshackle New Mexico compound was training children to commit school shootings
10:22PM ( 2 hours ago )
Venezuela ruling party cracks down on opposition lawmakers
Venezuela's pro-government constitutional assembly has stripped two opposition lawmakers of their immunity from prosecution, accusing them of having roles in a drone attack that authorities say was an attempt to kill socialist President Nicolas Maduro
9:50PM ( 3 hours ago )
14,000 fight California fires, some from prisons or overseas
Firefighters are coming from as far as Australia and New Zealand to help California battle a series of massive wildfires roaring through dry vegetation amid hot, windy weather
9:46PM ( 3 hours ago )
AP Online National News
China exports accelerated in July despite rise in US tariffs
China's exports to the US accelerated in July despite Trump tariff hike
12:37AM ( 29 minutes ago )
Video shows massacre suspect punching self, speaking softly
Prosecutors release hours of video interrogation of Florida's high school shooting suspect showing young man slouching, punching himself and speaking about a voice he says he has heard inside his head for years
12:33AM ( 33 minutes ago )
US imposing new Russia sanctions over fatal chemical attack
US imposing new sanctions against Russia over fatal poisoning in Britain
12:31AM ( 35 minutes ago )
Instead of tax cuts, GOP candidates motivate with anxiety
In primary season, GOP candidates turn from tax cuts to anxiety as a way of motivating voters
12:29AM ( 37 minutes ago )
Prosecutors present more evidence of fraud in Manafort case
After Gates' testimony ends, prosecutors present more evidence of fraud against Manafort
12:28AM ( 38 minutes ago )