Fire heavily damaged the crematory at Memorial Park Funeral home in Gainesville Friday.
Gainesville Fire Division Chief Keith Smith said the fire broke out in the crematory building at Memorial Park Funeral Home around 6 p.m..
He said said funeral home officials were performing a cremation when an exhaust vent overheated.
"It got very hot," said Smith. "It started a fire that burned the bracing around it and started a fire that got into the attic space."
He said the structural integrity of the building did not appear to be compromised .
"They had a good save on the majority of the building," Smith said. "It will need a good bit of construction work done and the machine switched out."
Smith says when a new machine is installed, it will have to be inspected before it can be put into use.