clearn.png
Monday August 19th, 2019 9:05PM

The Latest: Sydney school mourns boy killed in Barcelona

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — The Latest on the aftermath of the Spain attacks (all times local):

8:55 a.m.

A Sydney school is mourning the loss of a 7-year-old student who was killed when a van plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona.

Julian Cadman, a dual citizen of Australia and Britain, was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother when a van sped down Las Ramblas promenade last week targeting pedestrians. His mother was injured in the attack and was hospitalized.

Greg Whitby, executive director of the Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta, said in a statement Monday that Cadman had been a beloved second grade student at St. Bernadette's Catholic Primary school in Lalor Park, a western Sydney suburb.

Whitby says Cadman was "a delightful little boy — curious and energetic with a kind and generous heart." Whitby says Cadman was much loved and the school community was feeling his loss deeply.

___

8:45 a.m.

Spanish police are continuing the search for the man who they consider to be the final member of a cell that carried out vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a nearby town that killed 14 and injured more than 120 others.

Police are searching Monday throughout the northeastern region bordering France. Police have declined to identify who they are looking for, but local media reports say he is Younes Abouyaaquoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan. He is suspected of driving the van that plowed down the Las Ramblas promenade Thursday, killing 13 people and injuring 120.

Another attack hours later killed one person and injured others in Cambrils, a seaside town south of the city. Police say the cell consisted of 12 men, all with connections to the northern town of Ripoll.

___

7:45 a.m.

A Catalan official says regional and local authorities discarded the Spanish government's suggestion to place traffic barriers to protect the Las Ramblas promenade because they deemed them "inefficient."

Catalan regional president Carles Puigdemont told La Sexta television that regional and municipal authorities discarded the suggestion because the barriers wouldn't have prevented vehicles from entering the promenade at other points. Besides that, Puigdemont said closing off Las Ramblas was impractical because emergency vehicles still would need to be able to access the area.

Reports say the suggestion was made after other big vehicle attacks in Europe, but the precise timing wasn't clear.

On Thursday, an attacker drove a van down the promenade, killing 13 and injuring scores more. A subsequent attack in nearby town killed another person.

  • Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP National News, AP Online National News, AP World News
© Copyright 2019 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
The Latest: Sydney school mourns boy killed in Barcelona
A Sydney school is mourning the loss of a 7-year-old student who was killed when a van plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona
2:57AM ( 5 minutes ago )
Manhunt intensifies in Spain for suspected final cell member
Spanish police are continuing the search for the man who they consider to be the final member of a cell that carried out vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a nearby town that killed 14 and injured more than 120 others
2:49AM ( 12 minutes ago )
Nigerian president vows to step up fight against Boko Haram
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari vows to reinvigorate battle against Boko Haram Islamic extremists in address to the nation after more than three months in London for medical treatment
2:34AM ( 28 minutes ago )
Associated Press (AP)
Legendary comedian Jerry Lewis knew how to laugh and cry
If jokes are the children of pain, then Jerry Lewis was a natural father
12:05AM ( 2 hours ago )
Jerry Lewis, Hollywood survivor, showman, dies at 91
Jerry Lewis epitomized what it meant to be a survivor in Hollywood
12:05AM ( 2 hours ago )
The Latest: Singapore helicopter evacuates 4 injured US crew
The U.S. Navy says four sailors injured in a ship collision were evacuated to a hospital
11:53PM ( 3 hours ago )
AP National News
The Latest: Trump expresses concern for warship crew
President Donald Trump is expressing concern for the crew of the USS John S. McCain, a Navy warship that collided with a tanker near Singapore
11:42PM ( 3 hours ago )
The Latest: Senator tweets prayers for USS John S. McCain
U.S. Sen. John McCain says he is praying for the sailors aboard the USS John S. McCain after the warship collided with a tanker in Southeast Asian waters
11:07PM ( 3 hours ago )
US warship collides with tanker near Singapore; 10 missing
A U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer collided with a tanker in waters east of Singapore and the Straits of Malacca, and at least 10 sailors are missing
10:37PM ( 4 hours ago )
AP Online National News
Manhunt intensifies in Spain for suspected final cell member
Spanish police are continuing the search for the man who they consider to be the final member of a cell that carried out vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a nearby town that killed 14 and injured more than 120 others
2:49AM ( 12 minutes ago )
Nigerian president vows to step up fight against Boko Haram
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari vows to reinvigorate battle against Boko Haram Islamic extremists in address to the nation after more than three months in London for medical treatment
2:34AM ( 28 minutes ago )
Big Ben bell to go silent in London for repairs until 2021
The British Parliament's Big Ben bell is due to sound the hour for the last time before it is silenced for repair work scheduled to last until 2021
2:17AM ( 45 minutes ago )
US and S. Korean troops start drills amid N. Korea standoff
U.S. and South Korean troops have begun annual drills that come after tensions rose over North Korea's two intercontinental ballistic missile tests last month
2:16AM ( 45 minutes ago )
10 sailors missing in collision between US warship, tanker
At least 10 U.S. sailors are missing after the USS John S. McCain collided with a tanker east of Singapore, the second accident involving a ship from the Navy's 7th Fleet in two months
2:10AM ( 51 minutes ago )