clear
Saturday June 23rd, 2018 11:00PM

Cardinals' Poncedeleon reaches majors after head injury

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A little more than a year after a life-threatening brain injury, Daniel Poncedeleon is ready to make his major league debut.

The St. Louis Cardinals bought the 26-year-old right-hander's contract from Triple-A Memphis on Monday before they opened a three-game series against the San Diego Padres.

"I was pretty speechless when I first heard about it," Poncedeleon said. "I didn't believe it. I thought (Memphis manager) Stubby (Clapp) was playing a little joke on me. I was called into the office and they told me. My wife (Jennifer) was waiting outside the door and the first person I called was my dad (Ramon Poncedeleon)."

Poncedeleon was 5-2 with a Pacific Coast League-leading 2.41 ERA in 12 games (11 starts) for Memphis this season, winning each of his last four decisions. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound California native is tied for second among PCL pitchers with his 71 strikeouts in 59 2/3 innings.

The promotion comes 13 months since a line drive struck Poncedeleon in the right temple, fracturing his skill during a game against the Iowa Cubs on May 9, 2017. Poncedeleon underwent an emergency craniotomy to fix an epidural hematoma, which is bleeding from his brain. He then went through weeks of rehab and endured three months of inactivity as he recovered.

When Poncedeleon returned to playing this spring, he wore a carbon fiber insert under his hat to prevent another injury. It's a bit cumbersome but necessary.

"You get used to it," he said.

Poncedeleon knows the injury, which could have ended his career, remains a big topic for everyone.

"That's long gone for me," he said. "I was hoping everyone would forget about it and notice me as pitcher and not a guy who got hit in the head. The dent will always be there. But it's not going to define me."

John Mozeliak, the Cardinals' president of baseball operations, is pleased about the happy ending to Poncedeleon's story.

"I think a year ago he was still in the ICU and obviously dealing with a very scary injury so the story is amazing," Mozeliak said. "We couldn't be more excited for him. That's just true perseverance. He's worked extremely hard to get back to where he is and given some of the ups and downs of our bullpen it was a unique opportunity for us to give him this chance, so hopefully he makes the most of it and hopefully also helps our bullpen."

Poncedeleon appeared in just six games for Memphis last season, missing the remainder of the season after the injury in the game at Des Moines. The former 2014 draft selection (ninth round, 285th player overall) was the recipient of the Bob Badman "Physical Comeback Award" from the St. Louis Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America at their January awards dinner.

"It's been a long road back but it's taught me a lot," Poncedeleon said. "It helped me grow up a bit. There was never a doubt I'd come back. I have faith and confidence in myself."

Besides his wife and son, Casen, his mother-in-law and her sister, his father and his uncle will be in attendance.

"I'm very excited to be here," Poncedeleon said. "I'm ready to go.

He said he going to change his last name to three words: Ponce de Leon.

"People mess up my name all the time," he said. "People think my first name is Ponce. For convenience, my parents put it all one word. I want to be who I really am, which is three words."

The Cardinals also announced that first baseman Luke Voit was optioned to the Redbirds following Sunday's game.

Voit has appeared in five games for the Cardinals this season, going 2 for 4 with one home run and three RBIs. His pinch-hit homer on June 7 against Miami was the Cardinals' first pinch-homer this season.

With his first game appearance, Poncedeleon will become the fifth player to make his MLB debut for the Cardinals this season, joining Jordan Hicks, Yairo Munoz, Tyler O'Neill and Austin Gomber.

NOTES: The Cardinals signed first-round draft pick Nolan Gorman, a left-handed-hitting third baseman selected 19th overall last week out of Sandra Day O'Connor High School in Phoenix. The 18-year-old Gorman, who passed up a college commitment to Arizona, will start his professional career at Johnson City, the organization's rookie-level affiliate in the Appalachian League. Gorman was at Busch Stadium on Monday to sign his contract and meet St. Louis players, coaches and front office staff. He worked out with the team and took batting practice.

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Baseball , AP Business, AP Sports - Major League Baseball, AP Sports - Minor League Baseball
© Copyright 2018 AccessWDUN.com
Judge spars with Justice Dept. lawyer on foreign favors suit
The Justice Department says President Donald Trump's hotel company did not break the law by doing business with other countries
Trump, North Korea's Kim come together for momentous summit
President Donald Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un came together for a momentous summit Tuesday that could determine historic peace or raise the specter of a growing nuclear threat.
The Latest: Rodman: I got call saying Trump was proud of me
Former NBA star Dennis Rodman says he received a call from the White House ahead of President Donald Trump's historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
Longhorns, Red Raiders win super regionals to advance to CWS
Longhorns, Red Raiders win super regionals to advance to College World Series
Olympic skier Bode Miller's toddler daughter drowns in pool
The 19-month-old daughter of Olympic skier Bode Miller has drowned in a pool
Neighbors stunned by man who vanished from Air Force
Neighbors of a man accused of deserting the Air Force and assuming a fake identity for 35 years say he was quiet, pleasant and always wore a San Francisco Giants cap
Supreme Court won't get involved in Wrigley Field dispute
The Supreme Court is leaving in place a court decision dismissing a lawsuit filed against the Chicago Cubs by the owners of rooftop clubs adjacent to Wrigley Field
Lugo, Frazier help Mets stop skid with 2-0 win over Yankees
Seth Lugo pitched six dominant innings in a stellar spot start, Todd Frazier hit a two-run homer off Luis Severino, and the New York Mets beat the Yankees 2-0 to snap an eight-game skid
LEADING OFF: Goldschmidt heats up, Quintana faces Brewers
LEADING OFF: Diamondbacks star Goldschmidt heats up, Quintana faces Brewers in NL Central showdown, Bumgarner starts again
AP Online Baseball
Republicans reluctant to criticize Trump's actions abroad
Republicans in Congress are often hesitant to publicly criticize President Donald Trump, even when they strongly disagree
Legal pimp for Nevada lawmaker? He faces anti-brothel effort
An anti-brothel effort in the only state with legal prostitution is amplifying a campaign from a well-known pimp in Nevada
Kim Jong Un could give up ICBMs but keep some nuclear forces
After years of effort to develop nuclear missiles that can target the US mainland, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un could decide to get rid of them _ but still keep the country's shorter-range weapons
AP Business
Balk gives Astros 8-7 win, first 4-game sweep of Rangers
George Springer scores tiebreaking run in ninth on balk as Astros sweep Texas rivals in four-game series for first time with 8-7 win over Rangers
Hamilton, Reds end 13-game losing skid vs Cards with 6-3 win
Center fielder Billy Hamilton made a bunch of key defensive plays and the Cincinnati Reds ended their 13-game losing streak to St. Louis, beating the Cardinals 6-3
Indians' Kluber continues dominance of Tigers, AL Central
Corey Kluber continued his dominance of the American League Central, allowing two runs in eight innings as the Cleveland Indians beat the Detroit Tigers 9-2
AP Sports - Major League Baseball
Pirates 3B Kang says he's given up drinking after DUI arrest
Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Jung Ho Kang says he's been sober since a DUI arrest in December, 2016 that threatened to derail his career
LEADING OFF: Reyes returns to Cards, Scherzer seeks No. 9
LEADING OFF: Alex Reyes returns to Cardinals, Scherzer seeks No. 9, Ohtani back on the mound for LAA
2:19AM ( 1 week ago )
Encarnacion, Chicago's poor defense boost Indians to 9-6 win
Edwin Encarnacion homers, drives in 4 and Chicago errors in fifth inning boost Indians to 9-6 victory over White Sox
10:54PM ( 2 weeks ago )
AP Sports - Minor League Baseball
Judge spars with Justice Dept. lawyer on foreign favors suit
Trump, North Korea's Kim come together for momentous summit
The Latest: Rodman: I got call saying Trump was proud of me
New disclosure shows growing Kushner wealth, debt
A newly-released 2018 financial disclosure shows that White House special adviser Jared Kushner's wealth and debt both rose significantly over the year
Morocco casts doubt on NAmerican profit pledge for 2026 WCup
Leaders of North American and Moroccan bids to host the 2026 World Cup are pitching their plans to FIFA voters