GAINESVILLE – One-hundred-and-ten years ago Hall County was very different: we didn’t have a massive reservoir, an interstate, a poultry industry or a hospital; but what we did have was the very first meeting of a group of local business leaders and merchants determined to pull together and make Hall County business friendly.
That 1908 meeting was the start of the local Chamber of Commerce and through that agency and its members a massive reservoir, an interstate, a worldwide poultry industry and an industry-leading hospital would become realities.
Thursday evening President Perry Barnett gaveled into session the 110th annual meeting of the Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce before 400-plus members and guests at the Chattahoochee Country Club.
Before the evening was over the GHCC would present seven awards to individuals and businesses for leading the way during the past year, thank and recognize those who worked tirelessly to make the preceding twelve months a success, and pass “the gavel” on to the next Chamber President, Carol Burrell of Northeast Georgia Health Systems.
Burrell said she would continue the work to make Hall County business-friendly and strongly independent, a trait she says she emphasizes at NGHS. “I put an emphasis…on ‘our community’ and ‘all that we do’.”
She continued, “Our health system is local; we’re not controlled by Atlanta, Athens or anywhere else. We forge our own path, just like Hall County has done for decades.”
Below are the seven award recipients; to the left is a photo-gallery of the evening and those who attended.
- Small Business of the Year #1: Green’s Grocery, Ed Waller, owner
- Small Business of the Year #2: Millie’s Drapery & Decorating, John and June Kinsey, owners
- Family Business of the Year #1: Duplicating Products, the Nix Family, owners
- Family Business of the Year #2: The Norton Agency, the Norton Family, owners
- Community Service Award: State Senator Butch Miller
- Distinguished Citizen Award: Benny Bagwell, Jackson EMC
- The W.G. Mealor Award (Chairman’s Choice): Paul Chambers, AT&T