partlycloudy
Thursday June 21st, 2018 7:34PM

AP sources: Mets, Bruce agree to $39M, 3-year deal

By The Associated Press
Related Articles
  Contact Editor

NEW YORK (AP) — Jay Bruce and his proven bat are headed back to the New York Mets.

The free-agent outfielder is set to return to the Big Apple after agreeing to a $39 million, three-year contract, according to two people familiar with the negotiations. The people spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday night because the deal is pending a physical and no announcement had been made.

Bruce will get $10 million this year and $14.5 million in each of the following two seasons. He can designated five teams each year that he cannot be traded to without his consent.

A three-time All-Star, Bruce hit a combined .254 with 36 home runs and 101 RBIs for the Mets and Cleveland Indians last season. After falling out of playoff contention, New York traded him to the AL Central champions on Aug. 9 for minor league pitcher Ryder Ryan.

Bruce, who turns 31 on April 3, fills a hole in the outfield and brings back some much-needed power to a Mets team trying to rebound from an injury-ravaged 70-92 season. His return in right field would likely mean Michael Conforto is ticketed for center once he recovers from shoulder surgery.

With slugger Yoenis Cespedes coming off a hamstring injury in left, the Mets plan to have their top three outfielders from last year back intact. They have the potential to form a very productive trio for years to come — if they're healthy.

Bruce's presence provides some insurance in case Conforto isn't ready at the beginning of the season. Bruce also offers a possible option at first base if touted prospect Dominic Smith struggles again.

The Mets made it clear this offseason they were seeking an outfielder who could play first if needed, and Bruce started 10 games there last season for New York.

In a slow-developing market around the majors, Bruce's deal would be the third-largest given to a free agent so far this offseason. First baseman Carlos Santana signed with Philadelphia for $60 million over three years, and closer Wade Davis got $52 million over three years from Colorado.

Mets fans have been clamoring for the team to spend some money to improve the club following its fourth-place finish in the NL East. To this point, New York's biggest move had been the $14 million, two-year contract it gave to free-agent reliever Anthony Swarzak.

"I'm happy," Mets ace Noah Syndergaard tweeted Wednesday night, with a "wackyBruce" hashtag.

Bruce was obtained by the Mets from Cincinnati for a pair of prospects on Aug. 1, 2016. He slumped badly down the stretch that year until finally going on a tear during the final week of the season to help New York secure a wild card for its second consecutive playoff appearance.

The following offseason, many questioned whether the Texas native who had previously spent his entire professional career with the Reds could handle the New York spotlight. It was expected Bruce would be traded to clear a logjam in the outfield, but he remained with the Mets and flourished (.841 OPS) for the first four months of 2017 while emerging as a respected leader in the locker room during a miserable season for the team.

New York began the year with great expectations that were quickly derailed by long-term injuries to Syndergaard, Cespedes and others. By the summer, general manager Sandy Alderson had traded away several pending free agents — Bruce among them — in an effort to shed payroll and acquire young arms.

After being sent to Cleveland, however, Bruce said he enjoyed his time in New York and was open to coming back. He said his familiarity with the Mets and the city could make a difference in his decision.

Bruce is a .249 career hitter with 277 homers and 838 RBIs in 10 big league seasons.

Terms of the agreement were first reported by ESPN.

___

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

  • Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Sports, AP Online Baseball , AP National News, Top General short headlines, AP Business, AP Sports - Major League Baseball
© Copyright 2018 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder
Ecuador has granted citizenship to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been living in asylum at the nation's embassy in London for more than five years
11:16AM ( 19 minutes ago )
Search goes on for Calif. mudslide victims; death toll at 17
Hundreds of rescue workers are slogging through knee-deep ooze and using long poles to probe for bodies as the search drags on for victims of the mudslides that slammed the Southern California town of Montecito
11:14AM ( 22 minutes ago )
AP sources: Mets, Bruce agree to $39M, 3-year deal
Two people familiar with the negotiations say free-agent outfielder Jay Bruce is set to return to the New York Mets after agreeing to a $39 million, three-year contract
11:12AM ( 24 minutes ago )
Associated Press (AP)
AP source: Panthers interviewing Turner for coordinator spot
A person familiar with the situation says the Carolina Panthers are interviewing Norv Turner for their vacant offensive coordinator position
10:37AM ( 58 minutes ago )
Amazon looks to build on 1st season of NFL streaming
Amazon had a mostly successful debut into live streaming of major sports events with increased audience and an improved viewing experience in its first season showing NFL games
10:01AM ( 1 hour ago )
The future of esports arrives with Overwatch League launch
The Overwatch League has been launched in an audacious attempt to showcase esports within a traditional sports structure
9:41AM ( 1 hour ago )
AP Sports
People familiar with deal: Mets, Bruce agree at $39M, 3 yrs
Two people familiar with the negotiations say free-agent outfielder Jay Bruce is set to return to the New York Mets after agreeing to a $39 million, three-year contract
12:35AM ( 11 hours ago )
California officials tell hundreds to leave homeless camp
Officials in Southern California have notified hundreds of homeless people camped out along a dusty riverbed that they have to move out starting in two weeks
6:29PM ( 2 days ago )
California officials move to shut big homeless riverbed camp
Officials in Southern California's Orange County are putting hundreds of homeless camped out along a dusty riverbed notice that they have to move out starting in two weeks
3:48PM ( 2 days ago )
AP Online Baseball
UK leader vows Brexit won't weaken environmental standards
Britain's prime minister has announced a 25-year plan to improve the country's environment and eliminate plastic waste, promising that leaving the European Union won't mean lower environmental standards
10:24AM ( 1 hour ago )
Coal executive's 'action plan' finds success under Trump
A coal company executive's wish list of actions that seek to roll back environmental and mine safety regulations has caught the eye of the Trump administration
10:22AM ( 1 hour ago )
European Central Bank close to revisiting stimulus program
Top officials at the European Central Bank at their last meeting remained wary of prematurely signaling the next steps in an expected exit from their monetary stimulus polices
9:38AM ( 1 hour ago )
AP Business
AP Sports - Major League Baseball
Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder
Ecuador has granted citizenship to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been living in asylum at the nation's embassy in London for more than five years
11:16AM ( 20 minutes ago )
Search goes on for Calif. mudslide victims; death toll at 17
Hundreds of rescue workers are slogging through knee-deep ooze and using long poles to probe for bodies as the search drags on for victims of the mudslides that slammed the Southern California town of Montecito
11:14AM ( 22 minutes ago )
The Latest: 8 people missing after California mudslides
Southern California authorities have corrected the number of people missing after the Montecito mudslides to eight after earlier raising the number to 48 due to 'clerical error'
11:10AM ( 25 minutes ago )
Trump group says memo should have kept email from prosecutor
A group representing President Donald Trump's transition team says a memo in the hands of the General Services Administration should have stopped the agency from turning over emails to the special counsel investigating Russian meddling in the election
10:58AM ( 37 minutes ago )
Pakistani father of slain girl blames police for slow action
Father of slain 8-year-old Pakistani girl whose rape and killing shocked the country accuses police of slow response
10:43AM ( 53 minutes ago )